Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Schwarzenegger faults Congress for deadlock on border reform

http://www.mercurynews.com

Posted on Fri, Jul. 14, 2006

Schwarzenegger faults Congress for deadlock on border reforms

MICHAEL R. BLOOD
    Associated Press

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger scolded Congress Friday for failing to enact immigration reforms, saying lawmakers should put aside election-year jitters and a new round of hearings and get to work.

Showing growing impatience with Washington - and his own party - the Republican governor warned that illegal crossings and drug-running will persist at the border as long as the House and Senate remain deadlocked.

"Don't run around the country now ... and have all these hearings. You've had for the last 20 years the time to have the hearings," Schwarzenegger said in remarks to members of the California Newspaper Publishers Association.

Congress needs to "do the work and be responsible," he said.

Schwarzenegger has long faulted the federal government for lax security at the borders and praised efforts by the Minuteman civilian border patrols to fill the gap.

California has more illegal immigrants than any other state - an estimated 2.4 million, more than the entire population of Nebraska.

On June 1, Schwarzenegger agreed to send the California National Guard to the Mexican border to help the federal government's effort to curb illegal immigration. But he has called the approach flawed, saying a comprehensive solution is needed that would include a temporary worker program along with tougher border security.

"I'm very concerned right now that the federal government has been, you know, too lax about that issue," the governor said. "They have to figure out a way of reforming the immigration laws so that we can bring - legally - workers into the United States."

The House and Senate are holding competing hearings this summer on immigration, with the House focusing on tighter border enforcement and the Senate promoting an approach that includes a pathway to legalization for many illegal immigrants.

In a global economy, workers need to be able to cross borders as needed, particularly for industries like agriculture and construction, Schwarzenegger said.

Without reform in Washington, "Everyone is doing everything illegally," he said.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I love Ahhhnold! Haha.
    I don't care what you call me, so long as you call me AMERICAN.

In a global economy, workers need to be able to cross borders as needed, particularly for industries like agriculture and construction, Schwarzenegger said.

Well, we can certainly tell which side is bread is buttered on.

"They have to figure out a way of reforming the immigration laws so that we can bring - legally - workers into the United States."
    (edit: I hit the submit button too soon)

Arnold is a legal immigrant himself who very much loves this country. As with anyone else, I might not agree with him on every single point, but I do agree with alot of what he says.

He has this habit of sticking to his guns and being fair as possible.
    I don't care what you call me, so long as you call me AMERICAN.

California has more illegal immigrants than any other state - an estimated 2.4 million, more than the entire population of Nebraska.
    Do you believe that? And I'd bet it is more than 2.4 million.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    "They have to figure out a way of reforming the immigration laws so that we can bring - legally - workers into the United States."
    I would suggest you do a little research Arnold. We do have programs that allow legal workers into the United States. We also have progams that allow foriegn students, skilled workers, tourist, etc. into the United States legally. Just because we don't allow unlimited numbers in doesn't mean we don't have a legal process for people to enter our country. Dump the dumb muscle building persona Arnold and think before you speak!

When does the pandering stop?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn