Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Schwarzenegger set to send Guard to border

Schwarzenegger set to send Guard to border
    SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, initially opposed to President George W. Bush's border security plan, said on Wednesday he was ready to commit National Guard forces to help police the Mexican frontier.

ADVERTISEMENT

Fellow Republican Schwarzenegger, who faces re-election in November, had criticized Bush's plan to station up to 6,000 National Guard troops along the 2,000-mile (3,200-km) U.S.-Mexico border to curb illegal immigration.

Yet a day before the former movie star is to hold talks with Mexican President Vicente Fox in Sacramento, Schwarzenegger gave his clearest signal yet that he would support Bush's plan to use the Guard in a support role for the U.S. Border Patrol, at least for now.

"I will make it clear to President Fox that I oppose the using of military for law enforcement troops," Schwarzenegger told a news conference in Sacramento. "However, I am prepared to commit the California National Guard troops in support of border patrol operations."

"However, as I say, it has to be on a temporary basis."

Previously, the governor had complained that the state's Guard was overstretched because of the war in Iraq and because of natural disasters at home. He also had called the idea a "Band-Aid solution."

Schwarzenegger said he was still awaiting answers from the federal government on the cost and duration of the mission.

"We are supportive of securing the borders and working with the federal government. But we still need to have some questions answered, questions such as who is going to pay for it?" he said. "What is really the length of that operation?

"We are being told it is two and a half years," he continued. "Normally when the military says it is a temporary mission it usually always is ... for a long period of time, as history has taught us in the past."

Military officials have said the first Guard troops could arrive at the border next month.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060524/pl_ ... enegger_dc
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They'll pay enough for the guards within 2 1/2 yrs. to build 3 fences!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Yet a day before the former movie star is to hold talks with Mexican President Vicente Fox in Sacramento, Schwarzenegger gave his clearest signal yet that he would support Bush's plan to use the Guard in a support role for the U.S. Border Patrol, at least for now.
    the fact that he made his announcement before Fox speaks to the state legislature -- a violation of the Constitution -- makes a statement in my opinion. Let's just see if he changes his mind after our unelected Vice-President speaks

"I will make it clear to President Fox that I oppose the using of military for law enforcement troops," Schwarzenegger told a news conference in Sacramento. "However, I am prepared to commit the California National Guard troops in support of border patrol operations."
    guess he figured out the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 did not prohibit border security only 'civil law enforcement' -- we're making progress slowly but surely. 1 state down 49 more to go
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"