Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Schwarzenegger Slams Washington for Stalled Immigration Talk

http://www.latimes.com

Gov. Slams Washington for Stalled Immigration Talks
    By Michael Muskal
    Times Staff Writer

1:44 PM PDT, June 21, 2006

The Republican governor of California today slammed the federal government for failing to agree on immigration reform, a day after leaders of the GOP-controlled House of Representatives said they would hold hearings on the politically sensitive issue.

Speaking after a helicopter tour of the San Diego area that borders Mexico, Gov. Arnold said it was "inexcusable" that the federal government couldn't come up with an immigration plan and called for pressure to be put on Congress.

"I am disappointed at the idea that the federal government has not come up with an agreement to reform immigration laws," said Schwarzenegger, who is running for his second term. All of the House seats will also be at stake in November.

"I believe it is totally irresponsible for the politicians in Washington D.C. to have failed yet again to pass a comprehensive immigration reform plan and address this national crisis," he said. "Until our border is secure, I know all Americans share my concern about drug trafficking and illegal immigration, as well as the possibility of terrorists entering our country undetected."

"We know the facts," he said, taking a slap at the GOP leaders' plan to hold hearings this summer. "We know we have to secure our borders."

House leaders on Tuesday announced their hearing plan, a move seen as a way of building support for the House's approach to immigration as well as mobilizing the conservative base for the November elections.

The House has passed a bill that would give more funds to patrolling the border but doesn't deal with providing a path to citizenship for the estimated 12 million undocumented workers in the United States.

The Senate has passed a broader bill, supported by President Bush, that would toughen security on the border and provide a plan for citizenship.

The bills are to go to a conference committee to resolve the difference between the two versions. In recent days, however, conservatives in the House have made it clear that they oppose the Senate approach and that any compromise is unlikely.

Immigration issues also hold a special political place for Schwarzenegger, whose campaign is hoping to do at least as well as the 30% of the Latino vote he received during the recall election.

However, the governor cannot afford to alienate his hard-core Republican base, which is more concerned with border security than with a path to citizenship which it derides as an amnesty.

Walking a political tightrope, Schwarzenegger has mellowed his comments, which at one point included praising the Minuteman group and questioning a Bush administration plan to use the National Guard at the border.

The governor traveled to the border today in preparation for the deployment of California National Guardsmen and to be briefed by the U.S. Border Patrol on how the California personnel will operate during what is being called Operation Jump Start.

"We will assist in a manner that protects our troops and uses our men and women in the most effective and appropriate way possible," the governor said.

"I agreed to send volunteer Guard troops to help the federal government do its job on a temporary basis. But make no mistake about it, this is a federal responsibility and we need comprehensive reform of U.S. immigration policy so our sovereignty and public safety are protected."

By next month, more than 1,000 National Guard troops will be on the border. The mission will end no later than Dec. 31, 2008, according to the governor's office.

The governor said even with the deployments along the border and in Afghanistan and Iraq, there would be enough Guard to handle state emergencies.

"Even with the 1,000 Guard members deployed to the border, the California Guard's emergency response mission will not be in jeopardy," he said. "We still have 16,000 Guardsmen and women available to respond to any emergency if one arises."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Schwarzenegger :
    "I believe it is totally irresponsible for the politicians in Washington D.C. to have failed yet again to pass a comprehensive immigration reform plan and address this national crisis," he said. "Until our border is secure, I know all Americans share my concern about drug trafficking and illegal immigration, as well as the possibility of terrorists entering our country undetected."
    Yah He shares OUR concern about drug-trafficking and illegal immigration etc. but what is he doing? He is supporting a "Comprehensive Immigration Reform" which everyone knows is Amnesty and a huge Guest Worker plan! He can't talk out of both sides of his mouth.. Du mensch!

Schwarzenegger :
    "I agreed to send volunteer Guard troops to help the federal government do its job on a temporary basis. But make no mistake about it, this is a federal responsibility and we need comprehensive reform of U.S. immigration policy so our sovereignty and public safety are protected."
    To quote Reagan; "There he goes again!" It is NOT JUST a federal responsibility! There's a whole helluva lot more everyone can do- including Schwarzenegger. It's Schwarzenegger's responsibility to take a leadership role to preserve and protect our State, our resources and our budget for its' People- and the States' people ARE limited to it's citizens and legal residents only So how dare he spend any of California's capital on illegal aliens Who the hell has been tickling his ear
    What- the initiatives he failed to pass make him think we are all wimpy liberals? His initiatives failed because they were ANTI-MIDDLE CLASS! He's turning into a girlie-governor if you ask me. Looking more like Phil Angelides everyday heheh.

And the NERVE of him to mention OUR sovereignty!!!! He's the one who hosted Pres. Fox who ranted about the Security and Prosperity Partnership from Utah to CA and what did the Governor say about that Criminal deceitful piece of trash that serves to strip US Citizens of our Sovereignty?? NOTHING! Big ZERO, Nada - Nichts!