Schwarzenegger Urges Immigrants To Use TV To Learn English

POSTED: 11:36 am PDT June 14, 2007

SAN JOSE -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger told a gathering of Hispanic journalists that immigrants should avoid Spanish-language media if they want to learn English quickly.

"You've got to turn off the Spanish television set," the Republican governor said Wednesday night at the annual convention of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists. "It's that simple. You've got to learn English."

Schwarzenegger, who immigrated to the U.S. from Austria, made the remarks in response to a question about how to improve the academic performance of Hispanic students. The audience included many journalists who work for Spanish-language media outlets.

"I know this sounds odd and this is the politically incorrect thing to say and I'm going to get myself in trouble," he said. "But I know that when I came to this country, I very rarely spoke German to anyone."

The governor said after-school programs and tutoring were important, but immigrants must avoid Spanish-language books, television and newspapers if they really want to master English.

"You're just forced to speak English, and that just makes you learn the language faster," Schwarzenegger said.

The governor said it can be more difficult for Hispanics because they may have many Spanish-speaking peers, so they are not forced to learn English as quickly as other immigrant groups.

Pilar Marrero, the political editor for the Spanish-language newspaper La Opinion, chuckled at the governor's comments about Hispanics learning English.

"They're too busy working," she said.

During his talk, the governor praised the president's efforts to reform the nation's immigration laws and shared his experiences as a newcomer.

In the past two elections, Schwarzenegger has garnered more Hispanic support at the polls than most Republican governors, despite some seemingly anti-immigration blunders, such as the time when he praised the Minutemen border militia group on a talk radio show.

He explained away some of these statements as slip-ups made by someone who hasn't always been in public service.

"When you're not brought up in public light, being a politician, you sometimes don't say things that are politically correct," Schwarzenegger explained. "Like when I said 'close the border,' when I meant 'secure the border."'

He also discussed the federal immigration reform proposal, making it clear he felt the treatment of those entering the country was a federal, not state, issue.

On immigration reform, he aligned closely with President Bush, saying the country is facing the first real chance of reform in decades -- an opportunity that might not come again for another 20 years.

But he also said this doesn't mean the Senate's current proposal, which failed last week, should be pushed through without more thought.

"Right now the way it is written I wouldn't have signed it," he said. "How do you enforce it? It needs to be worked on, to be fine tuned."

This is a time to push politicians in Washington to find a compromise and develop a bill that suits both parties, the governor said.

"We need to encourage them," he said. "We're so close."

http://www.ktvu.com/news/13504266/detai ... n&psp=news