Scott quiet on future of an immigration bill in Florida

By CATHERINE WHITTENBURG | The Tampa Tribune

Published: November 26, 2010

TALLAHASSEE - Four months ago, one of the few things hotter in Florida than the weather was the debate over illegal immigration -- thanks largely to Rick Scott, who used the issue as a sledgehammer against Bill McCollum in the GOP gubernatorial primary.

Today, Gov.-elect Scott seldom mentions the I-word, which isn't getting a lot of attention in the Legislature, either. The election-year frenzy over illegal immigration seems to have cooled … or has it?

In July, Arizona officials were in court defending their get-tough new immigration enforcement law against charges by federal officials that it overstepped state authority and threatened legal immigrants with "countless inspections and detentions."

Scott, meanwhile, was talking up Arizona's law at every opportunity and called on Florida lawmakers to address illegal immigration during their July special session on oil drilling. A few conservative lawmakers joined in the call for quick action, though legislative leaders declined to take up the issue.

When state lawmakers went into special session again this month, however, Gov.-elect Scott did not breathe a word about illegal immigration or the Arizona approach.

Scott spokesman Brian Burgess said that immigration was more than just a talking point. It remains, he said, a vital issue for Scott, whose views on it have not changed. "It hasn't fallen down our priority list."

Another politician who made much of illegal immigration during campaign season was Pam Bondi, now Florida's incoming attorney general. Spokeswoman Kim Kirtley said it remains a top concern for Bondi, who "continues to support an Arizona-style immigration law, provided it includes strong provisions guarding against racial profiling."

If Scott and Bondi still want action, they will need to partner with the Legislature -- and whether, when and how that body will address immigration remains unclear.

In the House, William Snyder was among those talking in July about bringing an Arizona-style law to Florida. He continues to work on a proposal he drafted over the summer with McCollum.

While not identical to Arizona's version, the draft he released in July shared key elements, such as directing law enforcement to check immigration status of suspected illegal aliens while enforcing other laws.

Snyder, R-Stuart, said at the start of the Nov. 16 legislative session that he is close to announcing a Senate sponsor and plans to meet next with Bondi's and Scott's staff.

"Now the collaboration has to begin," he said. "We'll craft a piece of legislation that hopefully will address the concerns of the majority of Floridians, but be fair, judicious and not create more concern in some segments of our community than is absolutely necessary."

As chairman of the Judiciary Committee, Snyder is in a position to advance the bill -- to a point, at least. Snyder thinks 2011 "would be the session" for his bill, he said, but House leaders sounded less enthusiastic.

"As far as what House is focusing on for the next year, I can tell you that's not high on the priority list," said House Majority Leader Carlos Lopez-Cantera, R-Miami. Economic concerns, not immigration, are the House's primary concern, he said.

It's also not a slam-dunk with all Republicans. While pre-primary polls showed as much as 81 percent of GOP voters in Florida wanted an Arizona-law, some Hispanic Republicans spoke out publicly against the aggressive approach.

"I believe this may be the death knell of the party, if they continue like this," then-Rep. J.C. Planas, R-Miami told the Tampa Tribune in July. "I think this definitely hurts our ability to be a majority party."

Then-Rep. Juan Zapata, R-Miami, said to the Miami New Times, "What kind of message would that send to all the Latin American tourists who come here?"

Planas and Zapata have since left the Legislature due to term limits, but the issue remains potentially divisive. Freshman Sen. Rene Garcia, R-Hialeah, said he reserves judgment until seeing a final bill but could not support legislation like Arizona's.

Rep. Esteban Bovo, chairman of the Hispanic Legislative Caucus, said last week that he is encouraging other caucus members to keep an open mind. But "I do approach this with a lot of caution. We don't have the same situation or violence being experienced in Arizona."

Bovo, R-Hialeah, said, "Right now, I think everything takes a backseat to job creation. I would hope immigration does not become a sideshow and take up a lot of valuable time."

Snyder said he has yet to meet with the Hispanic caucus about his bill but "they'll be significantly involved."

In the Senate, new President Mike Haridopolos said in early November that lawmakers may indeed address immigration in the 2011 session that starts in March, but that if they do, "we're going to create a Florida-style plan that works for Florida. Arizona's a different state."

Mike Bennett, the chamber's new President Pro Tempore, said he thinks "we'll definitely do something on immigration."

The Bradenton Republican said he wants to make it easier to deport "the criminal element." But he also wants, he said, to avoid "shaking down" those who are here to work and feed a family. "They should not be harassed every time they turn around."

"The ones who want to assimilate, be part of our society, learn the language and want to become citizens, I'll take 'em," he said. "I don't want to provide amnesty, but I'd like to find some type of way to take those people down the path of citizenship."

http://oneoldvet.com/

www2.tbo.com