Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Scott Walker must clarify his immigration stance, critics say

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Scott Walker must clarify his immigration stance, critics say

Scott Walker must clarify his immigration stance, critics say

By Sean Higgins | February 10, 2015 | 5:00 am

Scott Walker's various public comments on immigration have been open to interpretation. (AP... Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker is rising as a contender for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination thanks to some well-received appearances on the national stage and stumbles by other potential candidates — but conservative activists warn there is one issue that could cause Walker to stumble, too: immigration.
    Walker does not have much of a record on immigration, and his various public comments on the hot-button subject have been open to interpretation. Activists warn that he’ll have to clarify his stance or risk losing conservative support.
    "It is frustrating that Walker's position is still vague and at times contradictory. Before he gets on a national stage, he has to figure out a way out of this fog," said Bob Dane, spokesman for the restrictionist Federation for American Immigration Reform.

WEX TV
    Roy Beck, founder of the restrictionist group NumbersUSA, agrees. Walker’s great advantage, he explained, is that he is the "vanilla ice cream" candidate: Vanilla might not be everyone's favorite flavor, but most people will go with it if they can't have their first choice. That leaves Walker well-positioned to build support as other candidates are forced to drop out of the primary.
    "He won't continue to be vanilla if he is seen as weak on immigration," Beck said.

Walker spokesman Tom Evenson issued the following statement to the Washington Examiner regarding the governor's stance:
    Governor Walker believes our country's immigration system is broken, it must be fixed, and we must secure our borders. The governor doesn't believe in granting amnesty — we must enforce the laws on the books and reform the process for those who want to come to the United States legally. As for the 11 million people who are here illegally, the governor has stated it makes sense to enact penalties, waiting periods, and other requirements for obtaining citizenship.
    The statement does not go far enough, critics say. "Nothing here indicates he wouldn’t sign the Gang of Eight bill [comprehensive Senate reform legislation that conservatives opposed] or that he'd actually secure the borders before legalizing the 11 million illegals," said Mickey Kaus, a blogger for the conservative Daily Caller who follows immigration closely.
    Walker must emphasize the "secure the borders" issue and make clear that it must come before anything else, Kaus argued, if the governor wants to distinguish himself from more pro-immigration candidates like former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush. If not, he risks giving ammunition to conservative contenders.
    "If you were Walker, you’d want to at least give some indication that you don’t have Jeb's semi-erotic fixation with amnesty and ever-increasing levels of immigration," Kaus said.
    Wisconsin political observers say that part of the issue is that immigration just isn’t that high on the lists of Badger State voter concerns compared with other states, relieving Walker of the need to have a detailed position.
    "Immigration matters here — most big dairies, for instance, would have difficulty functioning without Latino workers — but Arizona we ain't," said Jason Stein, political reporter for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
    Walker attracted a lot of attention for comments he made to Wisconsin's Daily Herald Media editorial board in 2013: "If people want to come here and work hard and benefit, I don't care whether they come from Mexico or Ireland or Germany or Canada or South Africa or anywhere else."
    He dismissed the idea of a border wall and told the editorial board it "makes sense" to allowing existing illegal immigrants to become citizens, providing there was a proper mix of penalties and waiting periods. The major problem with the existing system was the red tape involved.
    "[I]f it wasn't so cumbersome, if there wasn't such a long wait, if it wasn't so difficult to get in, we wouldn't have the other problems that we have," Walker told the editorial board.
    In 2010, Walker criticized an Arizona law requiring suspected illegal immigrants to show proof of citizenship, saying, "[I]n America we don't want our citizens getting pulled over because of how they look." He later said, after talking to one of the bill’s sponsors, that his concerns were overblown.
    More recently, Walker has sought to present a more conservative image, telling ABC on Feb. 1: "We for sure need to secure the border. I think we need to enforce the legal system. I'm not for amnesty. I'm not an advocate of the plans that have been pushed here in Washington."
    Beck said the ABC comments showed that he realized that GOP primary voters "doubt his intentions."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sc...rticle/2560007
    Last edited by ALIPAC; 02-10-2015 at 02:56 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ALIPAC does not need Governor Scott Walker to clarify his stance on immigration because it is very clear that he is on the side of Amnesty for illegal aliens!

Your first big clue was the part about our immigration system being 'broken'. Our system is being broken by the politicians like Obama, Boehner, McCain, Bush, Pelosi, Reid, McConnell and Scott Walker that support changing our laws and allowing current illegals to stay in the US and become citizens!

Scott Walker's official statement....

As for the 11 million people who are here illegally, the governor has stated it makes sense to enact penalties, waiting periods, and other requirements for obtaining citizenship.
    Is a description of the amnesty legislation we have fought to stop under GW Bush in 2006-2007 and in 2013-2014 in the Rubio and Reid Immigration Reform Bill S. 744 that passed the Senate when a handful of Republican traitors joined the Democrats voting for Amnesty!

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Brett Baier interview with Scott Walker 02/09/2015. Immigration starting at 3:24

This is from Media Matters. According to walker in the previous video, he was misquoted by the Wausau Daily Herald.
    The Scott Walker Immigration Shift ABC News Ignored

February 1, 2015 1:48 PM EST ›››
    ALEXANDREA BOGUHN

ABC News left out key facts about Governor Scott Walker (R-WI)'s changing stance on immigration during their interview with the GOP presidential hopeful.

On the February 1 edition of ABC's This Week with George Stephanopoulos, guest host Martha Raddatz prompted Walker to discuss his proposals on immigration, asking "What would you do about the 11 million undocumented who are still here?" Walker replied that "We for sure need to secure the border. I think we need to enforce the legal system. I'm not for amnesty, I'm not an advocate of the plans that have been pushed here in Washington... we need to find a way for people to have a legitimate legal immigration system in this country, and that doesn't mean amnesty."

But this is a significant change in Walker's position on immigration. Previously, he questioned the need for greater border security, and supported a pathway to citizenship that was advocated by lawmakers in Washington.

As The Washington Post reported, during a 2013 interview with the Wausau Daily Herald editorial board, Walker advocated for a focus on "a saner way to let people into the country" rather than a focus on border security (emphasis added):
    "It's all is about the 11 million [undocumented immigrants]," Walker said. "You hear some people talk about border security and a wall and all that. To me, I don't know that you need any of that if you had a better, saner way to let people into the country in the first place."
    Walker added: "If people want to come here and work hard in this country, I don't care if you come from Mexico or Canada or Ireland or Germany or South Africa or anywhere else. I want them here."
    In the same interview, Walker said "I think they need to fix things for people who are already here, find some way to deal with that." When asked specifically about the 11 million undocumented immigrants already in the country, and whether he could "envision a world where with the right penalties and waiting periods and meet the requirements where those people could get citizenship," Walker replied "sure ... I mean I think that makes sense."

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/02/01/the-scott-walker-immigration-shift-abc-news-ign/202370
    this from Media Matters..

Scott Walker on Immigration
    • Endorses path to citizenship for immigrant workers. (Jul 2013)
    • Make it easier to enter the country legally. (Jul 2013)
    • 2010: stop suspected illegals; 2012: that's a distraction. (Jul 2013)
    • Supports AZ's immigration law and no benefits for illegals. (Jul 2010)

http://www.ontheissues.org/Scott_Walker.htm#Immigration
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Based on these comments so far, he's not our guy. Sad, because I rather liked him on some other things. The absolutely most crucial issue in 2016 is illegal immigration and finding a candidate for President who not only knows what to do, such as all the things we want our government to do to stop, deport and prevent, but knows why he/she should do it, so they can articulate it and move this problem to a complete and full resolution in their first term if they're elected.
    Last edited by Judy; 02-10-2015 at 07:14 PM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    "[I]f it wasn't so cumbersome, if there wasn't such a long wait, if it wasn't so difficult to get in, we wouldn't have the other problems that we have," Walker told the editorial board.
    Hmm, so we have an obligation to let everyone in that wants in? In my view the process shouldn't be easy. Every day isn't Halloween and citizenship isn't candy to be handed out to everyone knocking at the door!

Right now I still only see three possible choices:

Bobby Jindal
    Rick Sanatorum
    Paul Cruz

Not anything to get excited about. I sure hope someone else step up real soon!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Scott Walker Dodges Question On Whether He Believes In Evolution

Posted: 02/11/2015 2:36 pm EST Updated: 15 minutes ago

LONDON -- Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) on Wednesday dodged a question about whether he believes in evolution.
    Speaking at the Chatham House foreign policy think tank London, Walker was asked: "Are you comfortable with the idea of evolution? Do you believe in it?"

"For me, I am going to punt on that one as well," he said. "That's a question politicians shouldn't be involved in one way or another. I am going to leave that up to you. I'm here to talk about trade, not to pontificate about evolution."

Walker was officially in the United Kingdom to promote trade and investment. He added when pressed: "I love the evolution of trade in Wisconsin."

The governor also repeatedly dodged questions about United States foreign policy, citing respect for President Barack Obama. He said American politicians should not criticize a sitting president while abroad.

"Being old fashioned, and having respect for the president, I just don't think you talk about foreign policy when you are on foreign soil," he said.

Walker also alluded to the expectation back in the United States that he would run for president, noting the media had described him as "bland" as a prospective candidate. "I'd rather be bland than stupid, or ignorant, or moronic," he said.

Walker isn't the only would-be White House hopeful to dodge the issue. Last year, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) declined three times to answer the same question. "The reality is I'm not an evolutionary biologist," he explained.

Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R), who has also made moves toward a 2016 run, danced around the matter while on the presidential trail in 2011, calling evolution as "a theory that's out there" and one that's "got some gaps in it."

When broached with the subject in May 2011, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) told reporters "that's none of your business."

In response to Walker's comments, a spokesperson for the Democratic National Committee said: "Let’s recap - today in London, Scott Walker traveled to a foreign policy think tank to refuse to discuss foreign policy, dodged a straightforward question on evolution, and failed to explain away the budget fiasco he left behind in Wisconsin.

"For someone who went to London to build his street cred as a serious leader all Walker showed today was the same ducking and dodging Wisconsinites know all too well and that we’ve come to expect from the 2016 GOP field, whose policy positions are just too divisive to share. Would’ve been a lot simpler to just stay home."

During his visit to London, Walker met David Cameron and watched him debate Labour leader Ed Miliband in the raucous weekly prime minister's question time session in parliament.

He also visited the grave of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

In recent weeks Chris Christie and Bobby Jindal, both potential Republican presidential candidates, have also passed through the British capital. And like Mitt Romney before them, both got themselves into hot water.

Christie caused controversy with comments about vaccinations.
    And Jindal was criticised over claims there were "no-go zones" in London where non-Muslims were not welcome.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6663218.html

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Yeah, we're still looking for a candidate that knows what the people of the US want and need and has the common sense, intelligence and unwavering loyalty to the American people to serve as President of the United States. For the rest of you, your best option is to stay home and do the jobs the people pay you to do.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Walker’s About-Face on Amnesty

February 13, 2015 1:15 PM
    By Andrew Johnson

He used to support it. Now he says he's against it.

As vague as Scott Walker has been in his past statements on immigration, he has repeatedly claimed that he opposes amnesty for undocumented immigrants. That may not always have been the case.

A 2002 resolution passed by the Milwaukee County government and signed by then-county executive Scott Walker called for the implementation of an amnesty similar to the controversial program signed into law by President Reagan in 1986. As he has begun to lay the groundwork for a presidential bid, Walker has been deliberately ambiguous about his views on immigration, but the 2002 resolution, passed just weeks after Walker was elected county executive, called for “a new program similar to the Federal amnesty program enacted by Congress in 1986 to allow undocumented working immigrants to obtain legal residency in the United States.”

In public appearances in recent months, the Wisconsin governor has steered clear of that position. He has walked a different tightrope, saying that he opposes amnesty but hinting that he supports some version of a pathway to citizenship for immigrants in the country illegally, provided that they pay penalties, complete a waiting period, and satisfy additional requirements.

“Governor Walker does not support amnesty,” the governor’s spokesman, Tom Evenson, tells National Review Online. Evenson says the 2002 resolution was “stripped of references to amnesty before passage” and, in fact, reinforces the governor’s view that illegal immigrants should face penalties before they are granted citizenship. The resolution, viewable here, did not mention or spell out such penalties, and expressed support for “comprehensive immigration reform” that would have provided “greater opportunity for undocumented working immigrants to obtain legal residency in the United States.”

After nearly a decade in the statehouse, Walker became the executive of liberal-leaning Milwaukee County after winning a special election in April 2002. The county board had been working on the immigration-reform resolution for two years and it came before Walker in May 2002, shortly after he came to office. According to an official record of the proceedings, it explained the reasons for the board’s support, including the contributions of immigrants to the county’s economy, their vulnerability to exploitation, and the fact that Milwaukee had played host to the National Council of La Raza’s 2001 convention, where the plight of illegal immigrants had been discussed. The resolution concluded in no uncertain terms:

BE IT RESOLVED, that the Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors does hereby express its support for comprehensive immigration reform legislation that will provide greater opportunity for undocumented working immigrants to obtain legal residency in the United States and joins the AFL-CIO, the U.S. Catholic Conference, the National Conference of Catholic Bishops and other leading business, religious and civic leaders and organizations as well as the City of Milwaukee in urging the U.S. Congress to adopt such legislation.

It passed overwhelmingly on May 23, 2002, and Walker approved it on June 19, according to county documents.

Former county supervisor Dan Diliberti, who authored the resolution, says it was a symbolic statement of support for a policy of amnesty and comprehensive immigration reform. He recalls meeting with Walker to discuss the matter. “He was definitely for it,” Diliberti tells National Review Online in a phone interview.

The resolution came at a time when Washington was tackling a slew of immigration-related legislation. Spurred in part by the 9/11 terrorist attacks, lawmakers were also looking to address concerns that had emerged from the 1996 Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act, which some felt had been unduly harsh on illegal immigrants. A handful of other laws were passed at the time, including a border-security bill intended to tighten visa and passport security, but Congress did little to address the issue of undocumented immigrants.

Since a breakout speech in Iowa last month, the Wisconsin governor has enjoyed a boom in popularity within the crowded field of Republican presidential hopefuls. He has also been making obvious moves toward declaring his candidacy, hiring additional aides and, this week, making a high-profile trip to London to burnish his foreign policy credentials.

The Walker surge may be short-lived, however, if primary voters suspect that the man they perceive as a battle-tested conservative warrior, thanks to his victory over Wisconsin’s public-sector unions, is soft on immigration. It’s an issue that is sure to figure prominently in the upcoming primary, and recent polling data out of New Hampshire indicates how big an obstacle it threatens to be for some in the emerging Republican field. According to the latest Bloomberg Politics/Saint Anselm College survey, while former Florida governor Bush leads the Republican field with 16 percent of the vote in New Hampshire, a full 41 percent of Republican primary voters called his support for allowing undocumented immigrants to stay in the United States a “deal killer” when it comes to securing their support.

Walker won’t be the first or the last presidential hopeful to have to reconcile his past with his present. He will have to do it nonetheless.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...andrew-johnson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast