Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Seattle schools warn staff about Thanksgiving 'mourning'

Seattle schools warn staff about Thanksgiving 'mourning'
    06:17 PM PST on Wednesday, November 14, 2007
    By ERIC WILKINSON / KING 5 News

It's not a Happy Thanksgiving for everyone SEATTLE – A letter from the Seattle School District is raising some eyebrows about Thanksgiving and how it should be handled in the classroom.

The letter tells school district staff that the holiday is seen by many Native Americans as a "time of mourning."

It all started three years ago when some Native American parents voiced concerns about how Thanksgiving was being observed in Seattle Schools.

"In terms of what they were seeing in some of the use of the feathers and those things because those are of spiritual and ceremonial significance to us," said Willard Bill, Seattle Public Schools.

Related Content
    The list of Thanksgiving "myths" mentioned in the letter to school staff
    For the past three years, the Seattle School District has sent a letter to teachers and staff, telling them "Thanksgiving can be a difficult time for many native students."

This year's letter references a Native American historical website that outlines what it calls myths about Thanksgiving.

Myth number 11 – Thanksgiving is a happy time.

That’s much more of a reality to parents we spoke to.

"I don't think that's a myth at all. I think anything you are thankful for is great," said parent D.D. Boutwell.

The letter also asks teachers to understand that Thanksgiving is a "time of mourning" for many Indian people and a "reminder of 500 years of betrayal."

Some parents say it's political correctness gone too far.

"I think it gets to be silly," said parent Deb Bush.

School officials are quick to say that this letter does not signify a first shot fired in a War on Thanksgiving, and they say teachers are not being told to do anything different in the classroom.

"We just want a more inclusive history taught in our schools. Not a feel good to a feel bad history but a more representative history of who our population is," said Bill.

Local Native American leaders add that not everyone in their community sees Thanksgiving negatively, but there is still plenty of hurt that can only be healed by a deeper understanding of our history.

"We need to free ourselves so that we can manifest that true love and kindness and compassion that's necessary to heal the wounds," said said Phil Lane, Jr., United Indians of All Tribes Foundation.

About 1,200 Native American students from 100 tribes are enrolled in Seattle schools.
    http://www.king5.com/education/stories/ ... 49914.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

http://www.kxmc.com/getArticle.asp?ArticleId=181514

Nov 16 2007 12:00AM
    http://sayanythingblog.com/index.php
    Because the Indians never attacked and killed the Pilgrims or anything

Seattle school officials are telling teachers that Thanksgiving actually is a time of “mourningâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Christmas, Thanksgiving..........what will the oddballs try to get rid of next?
    Easter!!!!

If I recall history correctly, the first Thanksgiving was celebrated by the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag Indian tribe together.

Whoever seeks to set one religion against another seeks to destroy all religion.
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanksgiving

Well I believe that most schools expose what has happened to the American Indian. How many treaties were broken and their land taken. I was even taught that long ago.

But also there was at one time a long time ago......Where the pilgrims did meet the Indians who helped them.

In that time of peace and understanding it started a tradition....known as Thanksgiving.

When I was a child I had visited an Indian reservation; I met someone to this day I recall well. That person was part Indian who I spent an entire day with. We had so much fun. Remember waving goodbye wishing this person could have lived closer. I asked at that time why they stayed on the reservation when they could go anywhere. This child said to keep us together. I've often thought about that and said yes keeping together is good but yet you keep yourself separate. I guess its fear of losing traditions they hold sacred.

Yes it keeps them together but those reservations are not that good. I can understand their view point. But it was never an issue ....as it happened so long ago. Children today know the history if it's being taught correctly.

Can't Thanksgiving just be viewed as a day for thanks for whatever. That is how I view it. I'm Thankful...for the food I am about to eat. I'm thankful that maybe this year was good or thankful for some small accomplishments or thankful that someone else is doing well. Or Thankful that things worked out.

So I guess its about giving thanks to things. Thanksgiving has always been about being thankful.

We know the roots of the tradition. It does not have to be a day of mourning. I'm sorry if Indians feel that way today; don't know any country or group of people in any part of the world who has not been slaughtered; land taken; killed or persecuted. It's all part of history; know it but don't get stuck in it.

School officials are quick to say that this letter does not signify a first shot fired in a War on Thanksgiving, and they say teachers are not being told to do anything different in the classroom.
    B.S!; This is liberal, elitist Seattle. this is just one more attack against traditiional American Culture.