Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sec. Duncan says he supports allowing kids of illegal immigr

Sec. Duncan says he supports allowing kids of illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition

By Associated Press, Monday, November 7, 11:21 AM

WASHINGTON — Education Secretary Arne Duncan said Monday he’s encouraged that some states are allowing the children of illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition at public colleges.

As an example, Duncan pointed to Rhode Island, where this fall the Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education unanimously approved in-state tuition for illegal immigrants starting in fall 2012.

Another dozen states have similar laws or policies, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. In contrast, four states have laws specifically prohibiting illegal immigrant students from receiving in-state tuition, and two states bar those who are illegally in the country from attending public secondary schools altogether, the National Conference of State Legislatures said.

Duncan said some of the children of illegal immigrants came to the United States when they were infants. He said the United States is their home, where they’ve worked hard in school and taken on leadership roles. For too long, he said, the U.S. policy toward them has been backward.

“They are either going to be taxpayers and productive citizens and entrepreneurs and innovators or they are going to be on the sidelines and a drag on the economy,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Funding education for illegals’ kids is theft

By The Washington Times

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Education Secretary Arne Duncan obviously favors providing in-state tuition to the children of illegal aliens ("Education secretary defends tuition breaks for children of illegals," Web, Nov. 7). Perhaps Mr. Duncan also favors taking my car and giving it to someone else.

Assume for a moment that a father steals my car and gives it to his daughter for her 16th birthday. Also assume that then this innocent young girl does everything right: She somehow titles the vehicle at the Department of Motor Vehicles, has it inspected and buys insurance. She does all the scheduled maintenance and promptly makes repairs. She parks the car in a garage, lovingly washes and waxes it every month and drives it in the absolute safest manner at all times.

Let's say that two years later, I run into this young lady driving my car and demand that she return my property. But this is her car, and she needs it to drive to her job so that she can pay for college next year. If I take "her" car away, I'll destroy her life. She didn't do anything wrong, so why am I punishing her? Using the logic of people like Mr. Duncan, I'd have to let this young woman keep my car even though her father broke the law when he took it from me. The fact that this young woman was innocent and had done nothing wrong is irrelevant. She has no right to my car. The reality is that my property was stolen, much the same as the fruits of my labor are being stolen when my tax dollars are used to fund the college education of the children of illegal aliens.

PATRICK MCGINN

California, Md.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -is-theft/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Good analogy Patrick McGinn
    As Aristotle said, “Tolerance and apathy are the first virtue of a dying civilization.â€