Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senate Bill would give $100 million to FARMWORKERS

Video on the website with Feinstein promising if the Bill doesn't pass she'll tack it on to other Bills and it will come back again and again! They already passed 2 billion dollars!

Senator Feinstein Takes First Hand Look at Freeze Damage
    KFSN By Jessica Peres

04/02/2007 - Senator Feinstein says the senate just passed a bill that would give $100 Million to farmworkers. But, because of it's ties to the Iraq war it likely won't be signed by the President, leaving farmworkers and packing houses without the financial relief they need.
    Related Links

* VIDEO: Watch This Story
    * Talk About This Story
    Senator Dianne Feinstein made the trip from Washington, D.C. to the South Valley to see first-hand the freeze damage to citrus crops.

A new assessment of the January freeze damage added $16M to the orange crop loss in Fresno County alone, bumping the total up to $128M. Overall damage to crops across California now totals more than $1.4B.

Senator Feinstein, (D), California, looked at damaged orange trees and she said seeing the damage in person really puts a face to the freeze disaster here in the Valley.

She spent most of the day here in Exeter, meeting with citrus farmers who've lost half of their crops, and touring the Lobue Citrus Packing Company. Feinstein said her visit was eye-opening. "What I learned is that you see the result of the frost. You know, back in Washington you're 3,000 miles away and you don't see it as it happens as well as you can see its happening here daily now."

Feinstein said she's proud that an agriculture disaster relief bill allowing for over $2B in crop loss compensation has passed in the senate.

Joel Nelson, Presiden, Citrus Mutual, says, "There's a shortfall there of about $800 million dollars...that's why your disaster bill is going to be so important to help out."

But the senator admitted that the bill is unlikely to be approved. The federal disaster funding is attached to a bill that also includes funding for the Iraq war and sets a deadline for bringing troops home.

Senator Feinstein says, "This one, because of the Iraq language, may well be vetoed by the president; but it will come back again and again."

If the president vetoes the bill, the senator says she will try to tack on federal freeze relief to another bill. Either way, getting federal money here to the Valley will take time.

Citrus farmer Stan Cosart lost half of his crop. He said he's not depending on aid from the federal government and is trying to get by on his own. Cosart said it was good for Senator Feinstein to see what citrus farmers here in the Valley are going through. He says, "The U.S. is so diversified its hard for them to grasp what's happening in a specific area."

After touring the packing houses and damaged orange groves, Senator Feinstein had a personal luncheon with several local ag leaders to hear their freeze damage stories first-hand.
    http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?secti ... id=5176240

Make Orange Juice.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Do we have this bill anywhere here?
    Was listening on the radio this morning and Rick Roberts was going down a list of pork this bill had, I mean, A LOT OF PORK! Something even in it regarding the Senate souvenir shop?
    This pork stuff has got to stop, unbelievable!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    A new assessment of the January freeze damage added $16M to the orange crop loss in Fresno County alone, bumping the total up to $128M. Overall damage to crops across California now totals more than $1.4B.
    And how is this the average tax payers concern? Perhaps I can sympathize a little, but not $100 millions worth - especially since these are the same folks that are screaming for cheap labor in the form of criminal alien workers. The citrus farmers went into their profession knowing the risk, however, everytime there is a freeze or a drought they expect to be almost fully subsidized for their losses (same with beef ranchers and dairly farmers). When you combine the $100 million Feinstein is asking for with the farmers crop loss insurance, I'll bet the farmers would receive almost 100% coverage for their losses. Where's the risk that is to be expected from a business entreprise such as farming?

It's my understanding that the agricultural farming industry in California is dominated by corporate farming operations. With that said, the desire to feel sorry for the small family farmer who is being threatened with lossing the family farm that has been in the family for generations is probably misplaced. Farming over much of California is being run by big business with maximum profit being the main concern, not maintaining and holding onto the family farm. Sorry, I don't have a lot of pity for corporate farming interest, especially when their fueling the illegal immigrant problem.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Remember "Farm Aid Live" with Willie Nelson. Where is the aid for those farmers? The Dems are buying votes.

I believe the Dems are funding AgJOBS in this Bill. This is War funding Bill; what the heck do all these pork project have to do with funding the troops? If they want to add something to it why don't they provide the money to build the Border Fence that was already passed? Something that at least helps provide for the National Security.

And the Dems complain about the National Deficit? My son shipped out again on Sunday and believe me I'm going to be watching what they do about funding for the troops. You're exactly right, they are buying votes and funding their pet projects. Sickening.