Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senate Democrats frustrated with immigration talks

Senate Democrats frustrated with immigration talks
    10 May 2007 22:24:31 GMT
    Source: Reuters
    By Donna Smith

WASHINGTON, May 10 (Reuters) - The White House is endangering bipartisan support of a broad overhaul of immigration policy by going too far to please a few conservative Republicans, Senate Democrats said on Thursday.

Democrats said they were not giving up on the immigration talks but several were disappointed with President George W. Bush's handling of the discussions, which have included top administration officials and Republican and Democratic senators.

Richard Durbin of Illinois, the assistant Senate majority leader, said the White House was "moving to satisfy two or three Republican senators" who opposed last year's Senate-passed bill. By doing so, Durbin said, "they are leaving behind a lot of mainstream Democrats and Republicans."

Last year's Senate bill, which was never considered by the U.S. House of Representatives, combined tough border security and work place enforcement with a plan to give millions of illegal immigrants a chance to become U.S. citizens. It also would have created a guest worker program that would have allowed some those workers to eventually become citizens.

A new effort likely would provide a much tougher path to legal status and citizenship for illegal immigrants and delay the legalization program until border security and workplace enforcement programs are in place.

White House spokesman Scott Stanzel dismissed complaints from the Democrats, who have a slight majority in the Senate.

"The president has met with many members on this issue, recently meeting with the House Hispanic Caucus and the House Hispanic Conference," Stanzel said.

Despite Republican objections, Democrats said next week they plan to bring up the bill that passed the Senate last year.

Negotiations have been going on behind closed doors for weeks. Republicans, who until now have been deeply divided on the issue, are worried that a premature debate could inflame political passions and blow up the talks.

"We don't want that arbitrary deadline to stand in the way of getting it done," said Sen. Jon Kyl, an Arizona Republican who voted against last year's bill.

He said the group was unlikely to reach agreement by early next week when Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid plans to start debate.

Democratic lawmakers said immigration groups are complaining some of the changes under consideration will be difficult to support and Bush and his fellow Republicans need to give some ground.

"Democrats have shown a willingness, perhaps even more than I would like, to make strides towards the White House proposal," said Sen. Robert Menendez, a New Jersey Democrat. "But even so, there are certain issues where too much bend would create an impractical and ineffective immigration system."

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N10191020.htm
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I know I'm really jaded by the lack of enforcement by our government, so much so, that I can't help but think that all this belly aching by the Democrrats is really just a show, to make us pro-enforcement people think we're getting a great deal.

I'm sure that when the fine print comes to light, we'll find out we got S_ _ E _ _ D. I hope it happens before they vote and not after.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

I know I'm really jaded by the lack of enforcement by our government, so much so, that I can't help but think that all this belly aching by the Democrrats is really just a show, to make us pro-enforcement people think we're getting a great deal.
    My exact thoughts, WavTek.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

A new effort likely would provide a much tougher path to legal status and citizenship for illegal immigrants and delay the legalization program until border security and workplace enforcement programs are in place.
    Here's the carrot they're going to wave in our face. It still boils down to amnesty.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

Yup!

The HAIL MARY AMNESTY BOMB

But it's not flying and they KNOW IT
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)