Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senate Rejects Gay Marriage Ban / back to illegal aliens

Now we can bring the focus back to illegal immigration issues!

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=2048746

Senate Rejects Gay Marriage Ban

Senate Predictably Votes to Defeat Constitutional Amendment Banning Gay Marriage

By LAURIE KELLMAN

WASHINGTON Jun 7, 2006 (AP)— A constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage was defeated as predicted in the Senate Wednesday, but supporters say new votes for the measure represent progress that gives the GOP's base reason to vote on Election Day.

And senators will have to answer for their positions, one sponsor of the amendment warned.

"People are going to be responsible for this vote," said Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kan. "We are making progress in America on defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman."

Indeed, the amendment was expected to gain as many as seven new votes from freshman supporters who were not members of the Senate when the amendment was last voted on in 2004.

"There's many of us who have not had an opportunity to debate and discuss this," said one of them, Sen. Mel Martinez, R-Fla.

The 49-48 vote fell 11 short of the 60 required to send the matter for an up-or-down tally by the full Senate. The amendment's failure was no surprise.

Still, supporters are pleased.

"We're building votes," Sen. David Vitter, R-La., another new supporter, said ahead of the vote. "That's often what's required over several years to get there, particularly to a two-thirds vote."

A majority of Americans define marriage as a union of a man and a woman, as does the amendment, according to a new ABC News poll. But just as many oppose amending the Constitution, the poll found.

Forty-five of the 50 states have acted to define traditional marriage in ways that would ban same-sex marriage 19 with their own state constitutional amendments and 26 with statutes.

"Most Americans are not yet convinced that their elected representatives or the judiciary are likely to expand decisively the definition of marriage to include same-sex couples," said Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., a possible presidential candidate in 2008. He told the Senate on Tuesday he does not support the federal amendment.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

On 2nd thought:

Maybe we should all email/fax that distractions DON'T work with us....we want NO AMNESTY, SECURE BORDERS, etc......

What'cha think????
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Not yet.

Next is the flag burning amendment.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Yeah I can smell the flags burning already...

I really don't understand what Bush and his handlers are thinking here.

On Monday, he proposes the marriage amendment. By Wednesday, it's dead.

What was the point? If this had dragged on, it would only have hurt Republicans in November, since the media and Democrats would have had months to beat them up over this.

So again, I have to wonder who he's actually working for. It certainly isn't his own party.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

I think your avatar speaks volumes.
    TIME'S UP!

I do not understand it , all these sound like a very spooky game to me .
    So , the president is so weak ? Or this is just another part of the game ?
    I just think it is good to concentrate on one thing at a time and then to move on to the next one
    Certainly , gay marriages is one of them , even for the immigration reason . Because , then people start marrying like crazy just to obtain the imm.benefits - does not matter - man or a woman
    This is all so spooky - looks like a Halloween movie to me
    " Do not compromise yourself . You are all you've got ." -Janice Joplin .

Gay Marriage

The Senate has just voted, and the amendment failed. I'm glad they got this issue out of the way quickly so that Bush can't use it anymore to deflect attention from his failed policies and his TREASONOUS immigration proposals.

Quote Originally Posted by CountFloyd
    Not yet.

Next is the flag burning amendment.
    Don't forget between August and October another mysterious Bin Laden tape is sure to resurface.

The Senate has just voted, and the amendment failed. I'm glad they got this issue out of the way quickly so that Bush can't use it anymore to deflect attention from his failed policies and his TREASONOUS immigration proposals.
    Right on. I'm glad that most people saw through this pathetic transparent attempt and distracting the masses in order to suck in his base to vote for his party in November. Hey Bush, Bilbary in CA won last night on the immigration issue and he sides with Tancredo. It's not gay marriage, it's immigration stupid. We will not be fooled by your predictable and pathetic trickery. We've all seen this act before. You have nothing to offer us that will make us stop. We are going to keep hammering you until you leave office and hopefully leave it in disgrace.

really don't understand what Bush and his handlers are thinking here.

On Monday, he proposes the marriage amendment. By Wednesday, it's dead.
    Bush doesn't care about banning gay marriage anymore than we care about the plight of illegals. He is just trying desperately to get the conservatives back on our side. No dice. We are tired of being stabbed in the back and giving in on one or two fringe issues isn't going to make us forget years of treachery and backstabbing. Bush knew this amendment had zero chance of passing. He's just trying to find something to hammer his opponents with, only this time we don't care. You Bush are still a phony, a left wing nutjob and a nation wrecking traitor. You can hammer on about irrelevant issues all you want, it's like a fart in the wind. Nobody hears you and nobody cares. You don't care about us Bush, why should we care about you?
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn