Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senate Votes on Peru FTA possibly today. Call your Senator!

The House passed the Peru free trade agreement (H.R. 368 on November 8, 2007, by a vote of 285-132 (Roll Call #1060). Under fast-track rules that were in force when the agreement was negotiated, the Senate must vote on the measure within 15 legislative days.

The Senate is scheduled to vote on the free trade agreement as early as Tuesday, December 4.

Call your senators immediately and ask them to reject the passage of the Peru free trade agreement.

To begin your grassroots activism now, click here:
    http://capwiz.com/jbs/callalert/index.t ... 76&type=CO

Thank you,

The John Birch Society
    Standing for family and freedom since 1958
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thanks for the head's up Zeezil.

Time to call my senators [again, I know....]
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senate to Vote on Peru Free Trade Agreement!
    Call your Senators now and urge them to vote down this so-called "free trade" agreement

The House passed the Peru free trade agreement (H.R. 368 on November 8, 2007, by a vote of 285-132 (Roll Call #1060). Under fast-track rules that were in force when the agreement was negotiated, the Senate must vote on the measure within 15 legislative days. The Senate is scheduled to vote on the free agreement as early as Tuesday, December 4.

The Peru free trade agreement would implement yet another part of a piecemeal approach to expand the disastrous North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) which has already cost Americans millions of jobs and requires the United States to submit to the rulings of NAFTA arbitration tribunals regarding trade disputes with Mexico and Canada.

For more information on NAFTA and other so-called "free trade" agreements, click here:
    http://www.jbs.org/taxonomy/term/255
    http://www.jbs.org/taxonomy/term/51

Unfortunately we were unable to build enough opposition to prevent passage of H.R. 3688 in the House. Now is our chance to stop this measure dead in its tracks! Call your Senators today and urge them to vote against the Peru free trade agreement when it comes up for a vote on the Senate floor.

To increase our numbers of opposition, please forward this alert to those in your sphere of influence. We must protect U.S. jobs, promote a stable economy, and defend national sovereignty, by rejecting the Peru free trade agreement.

Thank you,

The John Birch Society
    Standing for family and freedom since 1958

MW
    Peru FTA Senate Vote Approaching: This is the Thanks We Get?
    Call Your Senator during their Thanksgiving recess and tell them the American people want real, not cosmetic changes, to the free trade model.

In last November's elections, the voters sent Congress a strong message that the American people want a change in trade policy. The Wall Street journal reported that six in 10 Republicans in a recent poll agreed with a statement that free trade has been bad for the U.S.

On November 8th the House of Representatives ignored this mandate and voted 285 to 135 to pass the US-Peru Free Trade Agreement, a NAFTA-style free trade deal which will be devastating to family farmers, indigenous people, workers, the environment and people with AIDS. A vote in the Senate is likely to take place just after the return from recess on December 3rd.

Call the Senate Switchboard at (202) 224-3121. Tell them what state you are from, and they will connect you with one of your Senator's offices. Ask to speak with the Legislative Assistant that deals with trade. If they are not available leave a message, and be sure to say that you live in their state.

Stop the US-Peru FTA vote call script:

Hello, my name is _________, and I live in ______ (your state). May I speak with the staffer that deals with trade issues?

I am calling to find out if Senator's ______________ position on the upcoming U.S.-Peru Free Trade Agreement. Can you tell me how he/she plans to vote?

It is very important that Senator _____________ come out publicly to oppose this FTA.

Despite changes to the Peru FTA it will still (select one or two of the below talking points):

THREATEN SMALL FARMERS: The agreement will favor only a small sector of Peruvian farmers who export to the US. By lowering Peru's tariffs on agricultural products, the vast majority of farmers will be vulnerable to cheap subsidized imports from the U.S. This will wipe out local farmers, exactly like what hÂ*as happened to the 1.3 million who have been displaced in Mexico since NAFTA passed 12 years ago.

THREATEN ACCESS TO LIFE-SAVING MEDICINES. While the amended text of the Peru FTA removes the most egregious, CAFTA-based, provisions limiting the access to affordable medicines, it still includes NAFTA provisions that undermine the right to affordable medicines for poorer countries.

THREATEN WORKERS AND ENVIRONMENT. Changes to the labor and environment provisions are insufficient. The Peru FTA allows discretion for FTA dispute settlement panels to interpret and apply the terms of the ILO Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work differently than the Declaration has been interpreted and applied by the ILO itself. Enforcement of the new changes will be dependent on Peruvian President Garcia who has a consistent record of undermining domestic labor and environmental law enforcement.

THREATEN WOMEN, CHILDREN, AND THE POOR. Provisions promoting the privatization and deregulation of essential services such as water, health care and education are written into this trade agreement. Price rises, which always accompany privatizations, will make these services even less accessible to women and the poor, further increasing their vulnerability.

THREATEN U.S. AND PERUVIAN SOVEREIGNTY. The Peru FTA contains a NAFTA-style foreign investor chapter that allows corporations to bring actions against governments that pass environmental and public health laws that might reduce corporate profits.

THREATEN INDIGENOUS PEOPLES by opening the way for large pharmaceutical and agribusiness corporations to patent traditional knowledge, seeds, and life forms. This opens the door to bio-piracy of the Andean-Amazon region and threatens the ecological, medicinal and cultural heritage of indigenous peoples.
    http://www.art-us.org/node/298

Unfortunately the Senate has yet to meet a free trade agreement they didn't like. I was hoping it would get shut down in the U.S. House, however, Speaker of the House Pelosi, House Majority Leader Hoyer, and Charlie Rangel influenced many Democrats to vote against their conscience on the Peru FTA. Incidently Pelosi and Hoyer also voted in favor of the Chile FTA and NAFTA. I knew the Republicans would side for the Peru FTA, but I was hoping the Democrats wouldn't.

Oh, and by the way, presidential candidate Duncan Hunter spoke on the U.S. House floor against the Peru FTA. He was adamantly against the agreement. Of course Hunter is against most free trade agreements, he believes in "fair trade" policies, not free trade. Sorry, couldn't resist inserting a plug for my candidate of choice.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

North Carolina has surrendered to NAFTA expansion!!!

Both NC Senators, Burr and Dole will vote in favor of the Peru FTA. I have just spoken to both of their staffers handling this issue. I told them how displeased I was with their decision and why!

The vote will take place today at 2:00 pm in the Senate.

Any reports from ALIPAC'ers on which way their Senators are voting?!?