Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senator hopes to ban illegal aliens from college

Senator Philip Berger of Guilford County introduced a bill to prohibit illegal aliens from attending North Carolina community colleges.

If passed, the bill would make the current ban permanent.

Illegal aliens have not been permitted to attend community colleges in N.C. since May of 2007, when Attorney General Roy Cooper said the decision was up to individual states and institutions.

This prompted the Community College System to close its doors to undocumented individuals. At the time, 112 of 297,000 degree-seeking students were illegal immigrants.

Salome Bascunan, a member of the Hispanic advocacy group El Pueblo, said the bill would hurt not only the students who are denied admittance, but also the state.

"By allowing them to pursue higher education, the state can benefit from students who are bilingual and bicultural, and able to contribute to the state's collective productivity and economic growth," Bascunan said.

Salome also said undocumented aliens do not take seats away from North Carolinians. They are considered out-of-state students, and thus pay out-of-state tuition.

"Considering the economic hardships that our state is facing, the additional revenue that these students would generate could help keep costs down for in-state students," Bascunan said.

N.C. State clubs, such as Mi Familia, have been contacted by Bascunan. She urged them to get in touch with their legislators and voice disapproval of the bill.

Matt Walton, a graduate student in technology education, said he supports Senator Berger's bill.

"Individuals who are here illegally should not be able to take part in the services that are provided to citizens," said Walton. "Tax payers pay money into the state system, thereby affording them the right to go to community colleges."

Walton said this is not an anti-immigrant issue, but an issue of upholding the law.

"Given their illegal status, they've obviously violated a law," Walton said. "Since N.C. students who break the law are denied admittance or kicked out of school, the same standards should be held for illegal immigrants."

State currently admits illegal aliens as out-of-state students.

In a memo to UNC chancellors, Erskine Bowles, president of the UNC System, said N.C. universities would continue to admit illegal aliens until told otherwise by the federal government.

Colby Jackson, a junior in chemical engineering, said he is uneasy about the thought that illegal aliens can attend NC State.

"I don't like the idea of illegal immigrants attending State and taking spots away from citizens, especially since they're here against the law," Jackson said.

Not all students agree.

Jared Bowman, a senior in psychology, said he believes undocumented students should be allowed to attend public universities such as State.

"The kids who come into this country illegally don't have any option other than to follow their parents," said Bowman. "They shouldn't be penalized for decisions they had no control over, and should be given every opportunity that American citizens have."

Bowman has spent time volunteering at a Hispanic church in his hometown, and says he admires the work ethic that many illegal aliens put forth to earn a living.

"If these students want to better themselves, I don't see why the state shouldn't let them," said Bowman.

Comments
    Be the first to comment on this article!

http://technicianonline.com/news/senato ... -1.1487005

Let's not forget the damage of class ranking these undocumented immigrant students are doing to the deserving American Students.

Think a minute, how this is happening.

Let's say undocumented immigrant students are in lower level classes being spoon fed and making Straight "A", and the B average American students being placed behind these undocumented immigrant students. So many great American Students are being overlooked by colleges because of illegal immigrants allowed in our Public Schools.

Separation must be made of Americans and immigrants.

Colby Jackson, a junior in chemical engineering, said he is uneasy about the thought that illegal aliens can attend NC State.

"I don't like the idea of illegal immigrants attending State and taking spots away from citizens, especially since they're here against the law," Jackson said. [
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I sent my letter off to Senator Phillip Berger and let him know how I feel on the subject. mailto:Phil.Berger@ncleg.net
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

"Given their illegal status, they've obviously violated a law," Walton said. "Since N.C. students who break the law are denied admittance or kicked out of school, the same standards should be held for illegal immigrants."

What a freakin' cutting edge concept, huh?

Senator Phillip Berger

Hello and good morning to you. I have just read a small piece on some actions you would like to carry through with, on the subject of Illegal aliens in our community colleges.

I would love to stand firm with you and your ideas on that subject. As many Americans would this day. I do believe in my heart it is time to take back our country, which in my opinion and observations, has been taken over by special interest groups of the Hispanic communities and even some church leaders.

These special interest groups such as LaRaza and MALDEF and even our own ACLU have grown in power and from funds from our own. Such as corporate America and even Hollywood types.

Time to stop them in their tracks. Their feelings are they think this country belongs to Hispanics. LaRaza(The Race).WOW!

We really need our laws enforced on ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION....(INVASION)Really makes me mad to drive around in Greensboro or Winston-Salem and find nothing but Hispanics at these job sites of commercial construction. Literally taking over the job scenes as well as our communities! It is against the law to be hiring these people. We need more ICE raids. And all communities under the 287(g) program.

Quote:"Bowman has spent time volunteering at a Hispanic church in his hometown, and says he admires the work ethic that many illegal aliens put forth to earn a living." This man is nothing but a sellout! As you may tell I am bitter when it comes to this subject as many American citizens are. And this includes some of your Hispanics as well.

What makes these people BETTER then the American citizen? This country is what it is because of Americans. People are coming here because of what America is. But SHE also has laws!

I want to thank you for taking the time to hear me out sir. And PLEASE pass this on to your colleagues. And most of all GOOD LUCK!

Thank You For Listening
    Mr ____________
    Stokesdale N Carolina

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by uniteasone
    Senator Phillip Berger

Hello and good morning to you. I have just read a small piece on some actions you would like to carry through with, on the subject of Illegal aliens in our community colleges.

I would love to stand firm with you and your ideas on that subject. As many Americans would this day. I do believe in my heart it is time to take back our country, which in my opinion and observations, has been taken over by special interest groups of the Hispanic communities and even some church leaders.

These special interest groups such as LaRaza and MALDEF and even our own ACLU have grown in power and from funds from our own. Such as corporate America and even Hollywood types.

Time to stop them in their tracks. Their feelings are they think this country belongs to Hispanics. LaRaza(The Race).WOW!

We really need our laws enforced on ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION....(INVASION)Really makes me mad to drive around in Greensboro or Winston-Salem and find nothing but Hispanics at these job sites of commercial construction. Literally taking over the job scenes as well as our communities! It is against the law to be hiring these people. We need more ICE raids. And all communities under the 287(g) program.

Quote:"Bowman has spent time volunteering at a Hispanic church in his hometown, and says he admires the work ethic that many illegal aliens put forth to earn a living." This man is nothing but a sellout! As you may tell I am bitter when it comes to this subject as many American citizens are. And this includes some of your Hispanics as well.

What makes these people BETTER then the American citizen? This country is what it is because of Americans. People are coming here because of what America is. But SHE also has laws!

I want to thank you for taking the time to hear me out sir. And PLEASE pass this on to your colleagues. And most of all GOOD LUCK!

Thank You For Listening
    Mr ____________
    Stokesdale N Carolina

ELE

Anchors must not get education and/or ANY benefits..........

Anchor babies become Anchor youngsters become Anchor adults become Anchor seniors and bring in dozens of Anchor familes and the un-holy cycle repeats. Remember last year's taxs came to a whooping 383.3 billion dollars to accomodate illegals health care, education and incarceration. We can save that amount to pay off the Democrats Un-Stimulus bill debt. And get rid of the illegals all at the same time.

The cyle of Anchors must stop now. Illegals and their off-spring must not be given ANY benefits. They will get the message and finally get off our land and go home.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)