Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Senator Lieberman supports immigrants' legalization

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/lo ... -headlines

Lieberman supports immigrants' legalization

By Vesna Jaksic
    Staff Writer

April 25, 2006

BRIDGEPORT -- With a reminder that his wife and grandparents immigrated to America, U.S. Sen. Joseph Lieberman, D-Conn., said yesterday that Congress should pass legislation that would legalize many of the nation's estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants.

"To me, that's a sensible and humane way to treat these people who are also contributing greatly to this country," Lieberman told about 20 civics and English-language students at the International Institute of Connecticut. "It also helps the country by bringing them out of the shadows."

Best known for his 2000 vice presidential run, the Democratic senator and Stamford native has come under fire for what his critics view as a pro-war stance on Iraq.

Flanked by immigration advocates from Connecticut, Lieberman spoke yesterday during a news conference about only immigration as he visited the International Institute, an organization that helps settle refugees and provides services for immigrants, such as citizenship and English classes.

Besides Bridgeport, the International Institute has offices in Stamford and Hartford.

Lieberman said he hopes the Senate will pass the McCain-Kennedy bill, which would provide a path to citizenship for many undocumented immigrants. He said he opposes the House bill, HR 4437, which would make it a felony to be in the United States illegally and punish those who help undocumented immigrants.

"I think the chances are better than 50-50 that we will pass a good immigration reform program in the Senate," he said. "The big question to me is whether the House will compromise on this immigration bill, which I think was unacceptable."

Congress reconvened yesterday and is expected to take up immigration again this month. The legislation has stirred an emotional response from both sides, and many demonstrations nationwide.

A pro-immigration march is planned for 10 a.m. Sunday in Stamford in front of the government center. A national boycott day has been scheduled for Monday, when many immigrants are expected to take the day off work.

Lieberman, 64, said his wife, Hadassah, was born in Prague, now in the Czech Republic, and his grandparents were immigrants.

"When I think about immigration laws today, I think of my grandparents because I know that you and millions like you have come to America for the same reason my grandparents did, and that is to have a better life for you and your families and to have freedom," he said.

Carmen Goiricelaya, 56, a student in the civics class and a native of Cuba, said she hopes the McCain-Kennedy bill, which Lieberman co-sponsored, will pass. "As an immigrant, I have a lot of friends that are illegal in this country," said Goiricelaya, a social worker who lives in Bridgeport.

Several advocates who joined Lieberman at the news conference praised him for his pro-immigration stance.

Joyce Hamilton Henry, executive director of DemocracyWorks, a Hartford group that advocates for disenfranchised populations, including immigrants, said it is important to acknowledge that many immigrants are in the United States legally.

"People see immigrants as a monolithic group and don't realize the negative climate impacts everyone," she said.

Fernando Betancourt, executive director of the Latino and Puerto Rican Affairs Commission in Hartford, praised Lieberman for saying immigrants contribute to the economy and make the country stronger.

"The pattern after Sept. 11 has been to look at immigration as a public safety issue," Betancourt said. "When we see immigrants, we see the opposite -- the strength and security of the country."

Lieberman is seeking his fourth term in the U.S. Senate. He and Greenwich businessman Ned Lamont are vying for the Democratic Party's nomination at the May 20 convention. As of March 31, the last campaign finance filing period, Lieberman had raised $4.7 million and Lamont $712,000.

Lamont could not be reached yesterday.

As he stood in front of a classroom during the news conference, Lieberman, a senator since 1988, joked about his knowledge of the government.

"I know you are studying how a bill becomes a law," he told the class. "When you figure it out, let me know."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

With a reminder that his wife and grandparents immigrated to America, U.S. Sen. Joseph Lieberman, D-Conn., said yesterday that Congress should pass legislation that would legalize many of the nation's estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants.
    Another one who cannot the grasp the difference between LEGAL and
    ILLEGAL immigration.

I think thet the main reason that not much is getting done in Washington is that most of our legislators are out looking for a backbone.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!