INVASION USA
Senators want more money for border security
Asking White House for emergency supplemental funding

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: July 24, 2006
1:15 p.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas
Dissatisfied with current plans to deal with illegal immigration, two senators announced today a request for supplemental funding to secure the U.S. border.

Republican senators John Cornyn of Texas and Jon Kyl of Arizona want supplemental funding from the Bush administration that will "enforce border security priorities already authorized" but not yet funded by Congress.

Cornyn is chairman of the Immigration, Border Security and Citizenship Subcommittee while Kyl chairs the Terrorism, Technology and Homeland Security Subcommittee.

Cornyn believes the emergency funding would send a powerful message.

"While I am still very much committed to a comprehensive immigration reform bill, I believe that for the legislative process to move forward, the White House and the Congress must restore public confidence in the government's ability - and will - to enforce the immigration laws," he said in a statement.

Cornyn said he's hopeful the request "will re-energize discussions between all parties in our effort to reach a compromise on this very important issue."

Kyl said he believes the emergency funding for border security "will send a clear message that the government is seriously committed to the enforcement of its border."

Asked by reporters this afternoon if he had discussed the proposal with the White House, Cornyn said he had. But the senator would not divulge any details of his discussion.

"I just don't want to characterize it in any way," he said.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=51206