Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sending Illegal Woman 'Home' to Mexico Truly un-American-NOT

http://www.azcentral.com/news/columns/a ... rts09.html

Sending woman 'home' to Mexico truly un-American
    Jul. 9, 2005 12:00 AM

Her favorite food is pancakes with strawberries and cream, which explains her favorite restaurant: IHOP. Her favorite TV show is Friends. She loves the movie Titanic for the romance, and for reasons I can't quite figure out, she, at 20 years old, loves the Beatles.

She is what you might call the all-American girl. In every way but one, that is.

By month's end, Yuliana Huicochea will likely be ordered to leave the only country she's ever known, exiled to a place she's never been. At least, not since she was a baby. advertisement

Yuliana is worried and understandably so.

"I don't have anywhere to go," she told me. "I don't know any other country. I've always lived here since I was 4 years old. I consider this my country. I consider myself an American."

So why, you might wonder, is Yuliana being given the bum's rush across the border? What offense has she given, what crimes did she commit that this country will be a stronger, safer place once she has left it?

She had the audacity at 4 years old to enter this country illegally.

Yuliana grew up in Phoenix. She's never been in trouble. She learned the Pledge of Allegiance in kindergarten, got good grades in school and even graduated a year early from Wilson Charter High School so she could pursue her dream of one day becoming a lawyer. She might never have drawn the attention of the Department of Homeland Security but for the fact that she exhibited a bit too much ingenuity and good old-fashioned American can-do spirit. In 2002, she was part of a team at Wilson that spent nine months designing and building a solar-powered boat. So good was their work that they were invited to an international competition in upstate New York.

Yuliana and three others on the team caught the eye of immigration authorities when their teacher took them to Niagara Falls on the U.S.-Canadian border.

Like Yuliana, Jaime Damian, Luis Nava and Oscar Corona were babies when they were brought here illegally from Mexico. And like her, they face the very real prospect of being sent to a country they don't know when they go before U.S. Immigration Judge John Richardson on July 21.

Richardson has twice put off deporting the four, in hopes that Congress might pass a law allowing them to stay. But that hasn't happened.

The four, and others like them, are caught center stage in a national uproar over illegal immigration where it seems any more that there is black and there is white and nothing in between. Either you are here legally or you are not.

Unfortunately, like our immigration laws, that sort of thinking doesn't work. Sending Yuliana to Mexico would be like sending you or me to a foreign country.

Like it or not and through no fault of her own, Yuliana is an American. Blame the parents who brought her here. Blame a corrupt country that encourages its citizens to flee north. Blame U.S. politicians who have long looked the other way and businesses that crave cheap labor.

Blame them all and certainly, fix our broken border. But it strikes me as decidedly un-American to punish Yuliana for a crime she didn't commit.

Like it or not, we've got a generation of children who have grown up American, hundreds of thousands who were brought here as babies and now they're stuck in a no man's land between a country they don't know and a country that doesn't want them.

And so, in a few weeks, Yuliana must go, proving that there is law and there is justice. And sometimes the one has nothing to do with the other.

Reach Roberts at laurie.roberts@arizonarepublic.com or at (602) 444-8635.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

What a whinefest.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

Quote Originally Posted by dataman
    What a whinefest.
    I'm buying tissues in bulk now to be able to get through all these whinefest pieces. Sometimes I even had to wipe my teary eyes on my sleeve when I've used up all the tissues.

They always start these stories off with humanizing friendly info. Favorite food is pancakes.

I wonder what the favorite food of the worker she replaced was? I wonder what the favorite food of the taxpayer that paid her health bills is?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I like pizza

I like pizza
    I haven't met anybody who doesn't.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

What I sent to the governor and the newspaper---

Dear Editor and Ms. Roberts,

Sad enough, this story about Yuliana Huicochea This girl needs to ask her parents, the responsible ones who knowingly created this illegal lifestyle for her, why did they do this to her? Or did they believe that they were somehow exempted from our laws? Did Yuliana Huicochea know she was here illegally and crossed the U.S. /Canadian border anyway; with the attitude of the students I see in my Colorado schools, the “so what, we can come and go as we please� as my Colorado illegal students say. Or did she NOT know, in which case, how could her parents NOT tell her, furthermore allowing her to attend the trip that would red flag her at the border? Either way, they are in the wrong and not America. We, America, are not doing a “mean thing� here, we are observing (finally finally) the laws. Law makes America what she is, we are a country based on the Rule of the Law. On a positive note, Yuliana Huicochea will go home educated at U.S. taxpayers expense (and that is not “chump change�) and she can begin putting in motion the changes desperately needed in her country.

Judge Richardson’s elected position is to uphold the law. Our law, not her parents made-up rules for U.S residency. As a promising law student as well as a criminal alien, Ms. Hiuchea must realize that she has broken our law. If she does not, then may God help her future clients in Mexico’s court system. And with further observance of the United States law, her illegal alien family will be joining her in their rightful home. As they should. Proving that yes, there is law and there is justice. And sometimes the one has everything to do with the other.

Sincerely, Marty Lich

PS I did notice that in November of 2003, the students were granted a ten month extension. Why are they still in America now? Their time is up. And then some by a year. There is no longer a ‘plight’, there is the law. Uphold it.

CC Governor Janet Napolitano

Laurie Roberts

Students facing deportation given 10-month reprieve

Reports Border issues Famous in AZ AP en ... 23, U.S. Immigration Judge John W. Richardson appeared openly sympathetic to the plight of the four...Daniel González The Arizona Republic Nov. 29, 2003 12:00 AM

www.azcentral.com/specials/special03/ar ... ng290.html

"I don't have anywhere to go," she told me. "I don't know any other country. I've always lived here since I was 4 years old.
    The bad news is that you can look no futher than the folks that brought you here, illegally, in the first place. BLAME THEM!

The fact that you now feign ignorance as to your long term illegal status doesnt change the facts: YOU ARE HERE ILLEGALLY!.

The good news is that you are more than welcome to come back...IF you have the gumption to do so, LEGALLY.

Yeah I loved the "her favorite food is panckes with cream and strawberries." That's incredibly germaine to the topic. Is this an article on obesity in children, or illegal immigration?

Well perhaps they can use that all paid for education in that so called country thier parents left from and FIX IT!

Prometheus

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast