Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sensible immigration discussion falls on deaf ears

Sensible immigration discussion falls on deaf ears
    Jul. 4, 2008 11:45 PM

One of the more surprising stories of the year came this week, as two of the state's leading illegal-immigration warriors - Rep. Russell Pearce and Don Goldwater - failed to get the support needed to put their latest battle plans on the ballot.

In an e-mail to supporters, Goldwater claimed money did them in. As in, not enough of it to hire people to circulate petitions.

Illegal-immigration activists are no doubt quietly rejoicing and hoping this may be a turning point in Arizona's ongoing fistfight. advertisement

Me? I'd like to think that we've arrived at the proverbial line over which people don't think we should cross. One of these initiatives would have put an employer out of business if he was caught knowingly hiring someone here illegally. The other would require - rather than allow - police to enforce federal immigration law.

Like I said, I'd like to think we've arrived at that line. But I doubt it.

When it comes to illegal immigration, rationality was left behind long ago: in April 2006, when 100,000 illegal immigrants and their supporters took the streets. Since then, we haven't been able to talk honestly about the subject. Instead, we shout - not that anybody on either side listens.

Last week, for example, I described the circuslike atmosphere at Sheriff Joe Arpaio's crime sweep in Mesa. There were the deputies, nearly 200 of them chasing all over town for two days to catch 28 illegal immigrants. And there were Mesa Police Chief George Gascón's troops, 131 of them ready to quell riots from 100 or so protesters.

To read the blog reaction, you would think I came down on the side of rapists, murderers and all hardened criminals.

Wrote RealAmerican: "Sheriff Joe is an American hero."

Wrote Fridgeman: "The only people worried about the sheriff's office, concerned and or spewing negative or derogatory remarks are all of the trash of our society who fear him for some reason. Either way, they are either wanted felons or illegal Mexican immigrant trash."

Wrote Jozy: "Laurie Laurie Laurie, just when I thought you had some sense you go and act as an Illegal Alien sympathizer. I thank Sheriff Joe Arpaio for every effort he is making to help with the problem of crime and illegal aliens. This negative story that you write leads me to believe that you have some sort of motive. Could it be that you are employing an illegal?"

Or could it be that I just think it's ridiculous overkill to dispatch up to 200 deputies to catch 28 guys with broken taillights? (And to pay 131 Mesa cops to stand around waiting for trouble.)

But no, it couldn't be that. We, after all, are a country entrenched and from our respective foxholes, we can see nothing other than noble immigrant or alien criminal. One side thinks it's "anti-immigrant" to complain about the costs illegal immigration imposes upon us all. The other thinks it's "anti-American" to point out that we had hand in it. Neither side is interested in a compromise that might allow us to actually do something about that standing joke we call our immigration policy.

And so we are down 28 illegal immigrants, with 20 million to go. Meanwhile, the border remains a sieve and oh yeah, the National Guard is due to depart in 10 days. Not that it'll matter.

I talked to a Guardsman at Arpaio's sweep, a 27-year-old who came out to support the sheriff. He's done two tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and one rather frustrating one at the border as part of Operation Jump Start.

"We weren't allowed to do anything," he told me. "We were there for a show of force, a presence and after the illegals realized that we weren't allowed to apprehend them and cuff 'em up, detain them until Border Patrol got there, they would literally walk right by us."

I'd ask if anybody thinks this makes sense, but really, who listens anymore?
    http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... 0705.html#
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The ONLY sensible immigration discussion, IMHO, is enforce the laws, build the fence and arrest-incarcerate-and deport.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ONLY WHEN IT'S TOO LATE WILL THESE PEOPLE GET IT!