Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

SG lends support for DREAM Act

Now TX is into this tuition CRAP?!?!?!?!?!

-------------------------------------------

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/media/p ... online.com

SG lends support for DREAM Act
    Bill would let undocumented graduates become citizens

For about 80 of this year's graduates, each remaining day at the University is vital. When their time is done at UT-Austin, they must return to their native country or face a life of working minimum wage jobs and never enjoying the full rights of American citizens.

Mirla Lopez, a government junior, had no choice in living the role of an undocumented immigrant. She was born in Tampico, Mexico and was brought to Texas at the age of 6 by her single mother. Lopez's mother came to America hoping to make enough money to feed her children and provide a quality life for them. She found work as a bartender, then as a migrant worker, moving across the Southeast Texas coast with the changing seasons picking and planting crops.

Lopez graduated salutatorian of George I. Sanchez High School in Houston and was allowed to come to the University by way of House Bill 1403, a bill passed in 2001 that allows undocumented immigrants who graduated from a state high school to pay resident tuition at public universities. She said she hopes to go to law school after graduation and work with juvenile delinquency. However, unless congressional changes are made to the current systems, Lopez and more than 280 other students at the University may never have the opportunity to contribute to the society in which they were raised.

Lopez is one of many people placing their hopes in the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act and the Student Adjustment Act. The bills would allow immigrant students to change their status to a legal permanent resident for six years if they arrived in the United States before age 16, were accepted to a two-year or four-year college, have lived in the United States for at least five years preceding the date of the enactment, and have no criminal record.

A student would be able to achieve permanent status if during the six years he or she attains a degree, maintained good standing for two years at a college while working toward a degree, served in the U.S. Armed forces for at least two years, or performed at least 910 hours of community service.

Lopez has been working with multiple campus Latino groups and lobbyists to rally support for the bills, which have been brought up in the U.S. Senate by Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, and Chris Cannon, R-Utah. Lopez and others sought the support of Student Government to have an official stance from the University. SG voted in favor of a resolution supporting the bill at a special meeting Tuesday night, which was then forwarded to Gov. Rick Perry, other members of the Texas Legislature and UT President Larry Faulkner.

The bill caught the eye of SG engineering representative Mario Sanchez, a mechanical engineering junior, several weeks ago. He said he authored the supporting resolution not because it would affect the bill on a national level, but because it affected so many UT students.

"Texas was the first state to allow immigrant students to attend college at in-state tuition. We should be the first pushing for this law as well," Sanchez said. "We are paying for their college education, and it doesn't make sense to put money forth and not allow them to work and pay taxes back to society."

Lopez said many people criticize the bill, saying the students should not be given the same opportunities as other citizens because they broke laws by coming here illegally.

"For the kids who were brought into the country, they didn't know what they were doing. Their parents did, but the kids have been working very hard and want to give back to the economy and society," Lopez said.

As part of the first graduating class affected by HB 1403, engineering major Alberto Hernandez must make the decision to return to Mexico and work for $30,000 to $40,000 less than what he would make in the United States, or stay here and work illegally for minimum wage. Hernandez said he has interviewed at multiple companies, but said his immigration status has cost him several opportunities.

He has spoken to multiple groups and legislators to rally support for the DREAM Act and tried to make people aware of the plight he and many others are facing by sharing his story.

Hernandez had no choice when he came to Galveston with his father, who did labor work for five years so the rest of his family could join them. If he is forced to return to Mexico, he said he would be leaving behind more than just job opportunities.

"I would be leaving family, friends and a life. I would have to start from scratch.

"People consider us baggage, but they don't give us a chance to give back," Hernandez said. "I'm a realist. If I have to go, I have to go. I'm not going to waste a degree from the University of Texas by staying here and working minimum wage."

He said staying motivated to graduate while knowing he won't be able to work in the United States has been challenging, but knowing his younger brothers and sisters are watching him has pushed him to keep working.

"Being educated is my goal," Hernandez said. "My parents worked hard to get me here. It's the least I can do for them."

Go back to Mexico....heaven knows Mexico NEEDS some educated people.

I'll be making some calls about this Dream Act nonsense.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

HUSKER
    What about the "tuition law" we were discussing a few days ago? How would STATE LEGISLATION affect the FEDERAL LAW?

Anyone from the Great State of Texas had better be on the phone with Ron Paul's office getting information quickly.

Information {accurate} is power for us.....it's a tool with which to speak clearly to gain attention and support.

Get to any Rep in Texas, both State & Federal who is on our side!! Make them RESPOND.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)