Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

She refuses to go silently

www.chicagotribune.com

She refuses to go silently
    Caring mother, hard worker, lawbreaker: Advocate for reform of immigration laws has a complex story

By Oscar Avila
    Tribune staff reporter

November 19, 2005

From the start, Elvira Arellano knew she had to stay quiet.

After illegally crossing the border from Mexico, she kept her head down. Even her bosses didn't know who she really was.

Arellano sometimes thought she heard footsteps at night and awoke with thoughts of la migra, the immigration authorities. Then, one day in December 2002, they did knock on Arellano's door and arrested her.

She was working as a cleaning lady at O'Hare International Airport at a time when U.S. authorities worried that terrorists were trying to infiltrate the aviation system. They moved to deport her, raising the prospect that she would have to take her child--a U.S. citizen--away from medical treatment here.

Ever since, Arellano has tried a new approach: Be as loud as possible.

Arellano, a 30-year-old single mother from Pilsen, has become one of the nation's most visible advocates for undocumented immigrants. She now leads an organization of families who could be separated by deportation--a group that will be featured at an immigrant-rights convention on Navy Pier Saturday.

Arellano is a problematic champion. She knowingly broke the law, twice coming into the U.S. illegally. At a time when many Americans can't afford health care, Arellano received a temporary visa until August to stay with her son while he is treated for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

That has made her a lightning rod for critics, who feel she embodies much of what is wrong with immigration in the U.S., from lax law enforcement to a sense of entitlement among illegal immigrants.

But supporters believe the complexity of her tale--a woman who is a caring mother, a contributing member of society and a lawbreaker--illustrates that immigration reform isn't black-and-white.

"I want to show them that just because we don't have papers doesn't mean we aren't human beings," Arellano said.

Arellano's journey began when the economy collapsed in her home state, Michoacan, after the 1994 peso crash. Like many women, Arellano went to work in a maquiladora, a factory on the U.S. border, making only $5.60 a week.

That wasn't enough. She crossed the border, was caught and deported, and then tried again. Arellano said she slipped through the turnstile of a border crossing near Mexicali, Calif., in 1997 and headed for Washington state.

She worked as a baby-sitter and had a son, Saul. She and the boy's father split up and she moved to Chicago in 2000, where she took the job at O'Hare.

That day in 2002, immigration agents came to her door as part of Operation Tarmac, a nationwide sweep of illegal immigrants working at airports. Arellano faced the prospect of jail time because she entered the country after being deported.

Quiet as she was, Arellano was one of the few workers willing to speak at a news conference following the arrests, making the case that those arrested were not terrorists.

She quickly became the go-to source for media and activists.

Even her allies say she was in over her head. She cried on the way to public events. At rallies, she sat nervously and quietly with her son on her lap. After a radio interview, she was so star-struck that she shyly asked the disc jockeys for their autographs.

At one point, she thought of giving up and returning to Mexico. A friend told her she would never forgive herself.

Arellano came to agree, saying, "If they are going to send me to jail, let them send me. But I am not going to go away quietly."

Instead she became a citywide cause, especially in the Hispanic press, as supporters held rallies before her impending deportation. Immigrant advocates realized that Arellano's story was, in some ways, typical. Her son, Saul, is one of an estimated 3 million U.S. citizen children who have at least one parent living here illegally.

Driven by the public outcry, members of Illinois' congressional delegation introduced a private bill in 2003 that gave Arellano a temporary visa to care for her son.

Her story might have ended there. Instead, Arellano and her allies--churches, immigrant advocacy groups and labor unions--seized on the broader power of her tale. Having a temporary visa, she could speak openly and without fear of retribution about the experience of being an undocumented immigrant.

But Arellano said she was hurt by criticism that she was selfish and cared only about her case. Those suspicions, and the pleas from other families facing similar circumstances, spurred her to move beyond her own story and become a leader in the fight for immigration rights.

Since then, she has spoken at rallies from the Capitol in Springfield to Louis Farrakhan's Nation of Islam headquarters on the South Side. She confronted Mexican President Vicente Fox during a town meeting in Cicero, pressing him to intervene for other families.

One supporter, Joshua Hoyt of the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights, said: "There are times when a pragmatic person might pull their punches and not speak truth to power. I haven't seen Elvira pull any punches yet. Not once."

The group she heads, about 30 families who call themselves United Latino Family, has persuaded U.S. Rep. Bobby Rush (D-Ill.) to sponsor a bill that would grant them legal status to avoid separating their families.

On a recent chilly night at a Pilsen community center, Arellano greeted children with hugs as families slowly filed in for an organizing meeting. After lighting a white candle next to a statue of the Virgin of Guadalupe, Arellano led the families in quietly saying the rosary.

"I want to offer my mystery for the president of the United States," Arellano said in Spanish, "so that God will open his heart to see the suffering that is happening with our families."

But Arellano and other activists outrage critics of illegal immigration, who say they have no legal or moral right to sympathy or assistance.

Critics say immigrants like Arellano might have compelling personal stories, but they should not overshadow the economic and social damage caused by illegal immigration.

"Illegal aliens feel that they have the right to demand the same things as a citizen," said Carol Helm, founder of Immigration Reform for Oklahoma Law, which encourages members to report illegal immigrants appearing in the media. "They are trampling on our rule of law."

Arellano has even raised eyebrows among some immigrant advocates who favor a more moderate approach. She is seeking a presidential pardon for families that face separation.

Arellano said her next step is to encourage a national movement of families, and she has already received calls of interest from several states.

Now she doesn't mind that people know her name or stop her on the street--on one condition: "I don't want people to look at me and say, `Oh, poor thing. They want to deport her,'" Arellano said. "I want people to see a simple mother, an undocumented person, who fought."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Oh, God. SPARE ME. ANOTHER NATIONAL MOVEMENT AFOOT. This is just a shining example of how broken this system is. AMERICAN children aren't getting free medical care but these illegals are. AND, they are PROUD OF IT. That is SICKENING. I hope they arrest her butt at one of her rallies and cart her off. And, repeal the anchor baby law while they are at it.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

right you are Bootsie! motherhood and apple pie always gets the vote. I wonder how much her medical bills cost and how much the american citizens paid out for her? because you see many people who are born here have no insurance- but her? she doesnt have to worry . Once again a story that is not balanced. they could have found 20,000 american families who have no money to take their kids to the denist or routine care.

Arellano's journey began when the economy collapsed in her home state, Michoacan, after the 1994 peso crash. Like many women, Arellano went to work in a maquiladora, a factory on the U.S. border, making only $5.60 a week.

Ask Vicente Fox to give up some of his money to help you. That is the right thing to do.

There are MANY poor and sick Americans too, and you are most likely getting more help than they are, Lady.

QUOTE:
    "I want to offer my mystery for the president of the United States," Arellano said in Spanish, "so that God will open his heart to see the suffering that is happening with our families."

Give me a darnheck break. Go ahead and offer your "mystery" to the president of the United States. To him everything is a mystery, what's one more?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Of course she won't go quietly. She gets all of the benefits for her and her spawn and she has the backing of Jorge and his minions. When will this stupid country wake up? No other country allows this, but us and Europe. Why must the white politicans continue to pander to this outrage? Do they hate their race and country that much that they are hellbent on destroying both even at the expense of themselves?
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

DARNHECK??? I am ROLLING!!! And, I'm looking EVERYWHERE for those initials that either Legal or Junius used about rolling and laughing their A-- off! I KNOW I wrote that down. Would whichever one of you that used that expression PLEASE let me know what it was and the translation!!! Anyway, that's the way I feel right now!!

thelma--the really SAD thing is that there would probably be 200,000 AMERICAN children who cannot get proper medical or dental care. This woman needs to be deported and, IF she loves her child that much, they won't FORCE her to leave the child here for God's sake. It's not like they are going to jerk her up and deport her without giving her the option of taking her CHILD.

It just SICKENS me to hear someone getting away with this kind of rhetoric. What kind of IDIOTS are falling for her tales of woe besides the MYSTERY MAN who calls himself our President???? You hit it on the head, Legal--EVERYTHING is a mystery to him.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton