Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sheriff Joe to Holder: 'Clean your own house first!'

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sheriff Joe to Holder: 'Clean your own house first!'

Arizona lawman remains steadfast despite lawsuit threat

Published: 2 hours ago
    Jerome R. Corsi
    World Net Daily

A defiant Sheriff Joe Arpaio is preparing to tell President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder later today there is “no way” he will turn over the management of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office to the Justice Department despite the threat of a federal lawsuit.

“Clean your own house, Eric Holder, before you come trying to clean mine,” Arpaio said today in a telephone interview with WND.

As WND reported, the Justice Department informed Arpaio yesterday it plans to take him to federal court on allegations of systematic violations of the civil rights of Hispanics. Holder has sought an agreement to establish a court monitor in Arpaio’s office to clear his decisions.

Arpaio has scheduled a press conference for 3 p.m. local time today at his office in downtown Phoenix.

‘I won’t surrender’

The sheriff charged that the Obama administration is attacking him in an effort to gain Hispanic votes in November for the Democratic Party.

“This is a coordinated effort directed from the White House to deflect attention from Eric Holder’s failure to cooperate in the congressional investigation into Fast and Furious,” he said.

Arpaio accused Obama of wanting to make him the “poster boy” in the administration’s public relations effort to deflect attention from Holder.

Phoenix today will be the site of dueling press conferences, with the Justice Department scheduling a late afternoon event. In addition, Randy Parraz, the radical agitator with a union-trained background as a Saul Alinsky “organizer,” also plans to hold a press conference today. Parraz moved to Phoenix to launch an effort demanding the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors order Arpaio to resign.

However, Arpaio, who is near the end of an unprecedented fourth term as Maricopa County sheriff, is an elected official who cannot be dismissed by the county overseers.

Arpaio cautioned that Holder should think twice about joining forces with activist operatives like Parraz.

“I won’t surrender,” Arpaio insisted, referring to the Justice Department’s demand to put federal monitors within the MCSO. “I intend to fight back.”

In November, Arpaio faces re-election for a fifth term.

‘Prove it!’

Repeatedly, Arpaio has charged the Justice Department has nothing against him but anecdotal evidence of isolated instances in which Hispanics have complained of MCSO activity.

As WND has reported, the Justice Department has refused to produce evidence substantiating the allegations against Arpaio, insisting that the allegations themselves are sufficient to demand a remedy.

“It’s ironic, don’t you think,” Arpaio said, “that Eric Holder refuses to comply with congressional subpoenas to deliver to Congress the information about his management of the Justice Department, but the Justice Department has no hesitation to make public their complaints about me despite the fact those allegation have never been proved to be true?”

Obama eligibility investigation to continue

Arpaio also told WND he will not abandon his volunteer team’s investigation into Obama’s eligibility for the Arizona presidential ballot.

“The Obama investigation remains ongoing,” he confirmed. “I have no intention of abandoning the Obama investigation until the Cold Case Posse has done its job.”

Arpaio’s office has announced the sheriff is preparing for a second press conference to update findings of the Cold Case Posse.

At a press conference in Phoenix March 1, Arpaio announced his team had found probable cause that Obama’s long form birth certificate and his Selective Service draft registration form were forgeries.

Arpaio contended it was no coincidence Holder decided to sue his office immediately after the government’s lawyers were grilled by the Supreme Court in oral arguments over the constitutionality of Arizona’s tough immigration law, SB 1070.

“I’ve had a 50-year career in law enforcement, including many years with the Justice Department in senior positions. Now, Eric Holder’s Justice Department is turning on me just because I’m doing my job enforcing immigration laws.”

Sheriff Joe to Holder: ‘Clean your own house first!’
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Arpaio: 'I can get elected on pink underwear'

by Martha Maurer/KTAR (May 10th, 2012 @ 2:38pm)

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio got worked up during a Thursday press conference designed to respond to a Department of Justice civil rights violations lawsuit.

Some have claimed that Arpaio is fighting the government for publicity's sake and the show of strength could be a ploy to get him re-elected.

"I don't need this," said Arpaio of the lawsuit. "Believe me. I can get elected on pink underwear. I don't need this problem to take this on. It was the right thing to do to defend my office. It has nothing to do with me being re-elected."

Arpaio said he will fight the suit until the "bitter end," adding that he expects the DOJ complaint to be dismissed.

The lawsuit stems from racial profiling allegations against the sheriff and his office.

The main issue that caused talks to break down last month was federal officials' insistence that Arpaio agree to a court-appointed monitor for the department. Arpaio objected, saying it would undermine his authority.

Arpaio: 'I can get elected on pink underwear' - KTAR.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Feds pick legal fight with Sheriff Arpaio

Arizona lawman won’t ‘surrender’

By Jerry Seper

The Washington Times

Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Justice Department, which first targeted Sheriff Joe Arpaio four years ago over his handling of illegal immigrants arrested in the Phoenix area, filed a civil lawsuit in federal court Thursday accusing the sheriff and his office of "unconstitutional and unlawful actions" against Hispanics.

The complaint, which says the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office and Sheriff Arpaio abuse Hispanic inmates and engage in ethnic profiling, produced a flurry of charges and countercharges Thursday, in which the sheriff accused federal bureaucrats of trying to usurp his power as an elected official and the top Democrat in Congress applauded the lawsuit.

The lawsuit against America's self-described "toughest sheriff" comes in the wake of a breakdown of negotiations between the department and the sheriff's office over the appointment of a court monitor, who would have overseen the office's handling of those it arrests and detains, and direct operations regarding its enforcement programs and actions.

A "notice of intent to file civil action" came Wednesday from Assistant U.S. Attorney General Thomas E. Perez in a letter. It is only the second time in the past 18 years that the department has resorted to a lawsuit after a settlement effort failed.

"I would rather fix the problem than debate the existence of a problem," Mr. Perez said during a Phoenix news conference.

Sheriff Arpaio said a series of meetings between representatives of his office and the Justice Department were scheduled to continue this week to discuss ways to resolve accusations of racial profiling by his office.

But, the sheriff said, Deputy Assistant Attorney General Roy Austin, a top litigator in the department's Civil Rights Division, instead issued an ultimatum: It was absolutely mandatory for the sheriff's office to agree to an outside monitor; otherwise, there was no reason for further meetings.

The sheriff told The Washington Times in an interview that the appointment of an outside monitor "essentially usurps the powers and duties of an elected sheriff" and transfers them to the federal government.

"Every policy decision, every operation, every new program in the jails and in enforcement, virtually everything would have to be approved by the monitor, nullifying the authority of the elected sheriff and eviscerating the will of the citizens of Maricopa County," he said.

"I am the constitutionally and legitimately elected sheriff, and I absolutely refuse to surrender my responsibility to the federal government," he said. "And so to the Obama administration, who is attempting to strong-arm me into submission only for its political gain, I say, 'This will not happen, not on my watch.'"

Later Thursday, he held an emotional press conference in Phoenix, where he continued his visibly angry denunciations of the Obama administration's Justice Department.

"I am not going to surrender my office to the federal government," he said. "I will fight this to the bitter end."

The sheriff's attorney, Jack MacIntyre, called the appointment of a federal monitor the "most extreme proposal," particularly since the federal government has refused to provide any details or proof as to how it came to the conclusion that sheriff's office employees engage in patterns and practices of racial profiling.

"We have never agreed to a monitor replacing the duly elected sheriff," he said. "We have always been open to negotiating these issues raised by the DOJ, but never the appointment of a monitor."

The Justice Department has maintained that the sheriff's office "negotiated in bad faith" and, as a result, put the settlement talks in jeopardy. Mr. Austin told Mr. MacIntyre in a letter Tuesday that the sheriff's precondition of not having a court-appointed monitor to help enforce an agreement to settle the civil rights accusations would result in the cancellation of negotiations.

"We believe you are wasting time and not negotiating in good faith," wrote Mr. Austin, questioning whether the sheriff's office was ever interested in settling the matter. "Your tactics have required DOJ to squander valuable time and resources."

The lawsuit charges the Phoenix-area department with:

• Discriminatory and otherwise unconstitutional law enforcement actions against Hispanics who are frequently stopped, detained and arrested on the basis of race, color or national origin.

• Discriminatory jail practices against Hispanic inmates with limited English skills.

• Illegal retaliation against their perceived critics, subjecting them to baseless criminal actions, unfounded civil lawsuits or meritless administrative actions.
    Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, commended the Obama administration for its decision to file a lawsuit against Sheriff Arpaio, saying the sheriff has been "operating outside of our nation's laws." He said police are supposed to "protect and serve our communities, not divide them or judge them."

"No one should face discrimination based on the color of their skin, their accent or any other similar characteristics," he said.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) said the Justice Department lawsuit took "an important step toward ending the rampant racial profiling and illegal stops by the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office."

Cecillia Wang, the ACLU's director of the Immigrants' Rights Project, said the lawsuit added momentum to a pending ACLU lawsuit against Sheriff Arpaio scheduled for trial in July. That suit says the sheriff's office "systematically violated the rights of Latino residents of Maricopa County in the name of immigration enforcement."

According to the Justice Department complaint, since 2006, the sheriff's office and Sheriff Arpaio have intentionally and systematically discriminated against Hispanics by stopping them in their vehicles four to nine times more often than similarly situated non-Hispanic drivers.

In addition, it said, the sheriff's office stops Hispanics without the required legal justification; detains and searches them on roads, in their homes and in their workplaces without legal justification; mistreats Hispanic detainees with limited English skills; and punishes detainees if they fail to understand orders given in English.

It said the sheriff's office also files baseless administrative cases, civil actions and criminal cases against its perceived critics in "an attempt to chill free speech."

The sheriff's office "promotes and is indifferent to the discriminatory conduct of its law enforcement officers, as is demonstrated by inadequate policies, ineffective training, virtually nonexistent accountability measures, poor supervision, scant data-collection mechanisms, distorted enforcement prioritization [and] an ineffective complaint and disciplinary system," the complaint said.

Additionally, the complaint alleges that the conduct is the product of "a culture of disregard for Latinos that starts at the top and pervades the organization." It said sheriff's office employees frequently use derogatory terms to refer to Hispanics, and Sheriff Arpaio and his supervisors, "through their words and actions, set the tone and create a culture of bias that contributes to unlawful actions."

In the complaint, the Justice Department seeks declaratory and injunctive relief that would ensure that the sheriff's office implements policies and procedures to prevent the pattern or practice of unconstitutional conduct identified in it.

"No one in Maricopa County is above the law, and the department will fight to ensure that the promise of the Constitution is realized by everyone in Maricopa County," Mr. Perez said.

When the Justice Department first issued a scathing report in December accusing the sheriff's office of discriminatory conduct, an unusually animated Sheriff Arpaio denounced the Obama administration as putting a greater priority on going after law enforcement than securing the border with Mexico.

Feds pick legal fight with Sheriff Arpaio - Washington Times

Added first article above to the Homepage:
    http://www.alipac.us/content/sheriff...use-first-496/

Mr. Eric Holder should be the one stepping down....or going to jail preferrably!

RELATED GOOD SHERIFF Joe Arpaio UNDER ATTACK BY ERIC WITHOLDER News ..

Federal civil rights suit filed against Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn