Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Sheriff Jones has become a media and blog focus

http://www.journal-news.com/hp/content/ ... eriff.html

Jones has become a media — and blog — focus
    MORE: Click here for a complete list of stories from this special series
    By Mary Lolli

Staff Writer

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

HAMILTON — Butler County Sheriff Richard K. Jones, whose stance on illegal immigrants has brought him national attention, says he's glad it's become a topic of debate.

"At least people are talking about it," Jones said. "A year ago, the problems associated with illegal immigration were stewing on a back burner in Washington, D.C. and no one was paying any attention to the impact it was having in the heartland of America. Now they are."

October will mark one year since Jones starting sending bills to the federal government for the cost of housing suspected illegal immigrants in the county jail. The undocumented inmates are either serving time or awaiting trial for crimes unrelated to their legal status in the U.S.

"If the federal government had been doing its job of securing our borders, the illegals sitting in the Butler County Jail would not have been in our community committing other crimes," Jones said.

Although the federal government has yet to pay the more than $175,000 it's been billed, Jones has continued his campaign with billboards warning employers of the consequences of hiring illegal immigrants. He also has asked the federal and state government to support training and certifying local law enforcement with the authority to arrest and detain confirmed illegal immigrants — a job that currently rests solely with the U.S. Department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

In the past year, Jones' position has landed him guest spots on national broadcast media outlets and in national publications such as The New York Times and Washington Times. More recently, he was invited to tape a segment for "The Daily Show" with Jon Stewart. Even MTV's "Think News" has done stories about Jones.

Miami University political science Professor Susan Kay said she believes the attention makes Butler County look like a racist and intolerant community.

"I've been following the sheriff very closely," said Kay, who specializes in the study of political behavior, public opinion and elections. "It certainly doesn't make us look good to the rest of the country to know that we are resorting to tactics where our sheriff is trying to do the work of immigration and naturalization and force the government's hand.

"His image is not one that many of us in the university community find acceptable," Kay said. "Particularly when we are trying to promote a culture of diversity and acceptance among our student body. People of all races need to be welcome in this part of the world."

Kay also likened Jones' tip line, where people can call to report the whereabouts of suspected illegal immigrants, to the communist era.

"I don't want to live in a world where people rat out their neighbors," she said.

Local attorney Roger Reyes, a native Honduran who earned American citizenship after moving here at the age of 24, said illegal immigrants are taking their turn at becoming America's "political football."

"In the 1980s the political fires were being fueled by calls for welfare reform and welfare recipients became the target of criticism and scorn," Reyes said. "Now it's the illegal immigrants that are the target.

"Many are coming from impoverished areas where they don't even know how to read and write in their native language, let alone have the opportunity to learn another language," Reyes said.

Reyes said he fears that people, in general, are becoming xenophobic (fearful of all people of a different culture) and that those fears are being driven by erroneous perceptions based on stereotypes.

"Not all illegal immigrants are criminals," Reyes said. "In fact, only a small percentage of the Butler County Jail population is made up of immigrants, legal or otherwise.

"Most illegal immigrants are hard workers who are being taken advantage of by greedy businesses. Most are willing to take that abuse because it's better than the conditions they were living in in their native country. And, society is allowing that abuse to happen, because the reality is that consumers would rather pay a lower price for a head of lettuce," Reyes said.

Jones said his concern is with the law and what the law says.

"It's against the law to hire an undocumented worker, period," Jones said. "All I'm doing is saying enforce the law, just like we enforce it with every other crime we know about.

"I believe the vast majority agree with my position," Jones said. "And that doesn't make Butler County look bad in the eyes of the rest of the country. It makes Butler County look courageous enough speak out about a problem rather than tip-toe around it for fear of falling outside of 'politically correct' boundaries.

"I don't care about doing the 'politically correct' thing," Jones said. "I care about doing the right thing."

Contact this reporter at (513) 820-2192 or mlolli@coxohio.com.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

And, society is allowing that abuse to happen, because the reality is that consumers would rather pay a lower price for a head of lettuce," Reyes said.

This guy needs to take a trip to the produce isle. The price of lettuce has gone up not down. I have seen a head of lettuce as high as $1.79 in my area. Romaine is $1.99 a lb.[/quote]

Miami University political science Professor Susan Kay said she believes the attention makes Butler County look like a racist and intolerant community.
    "His image is not one that many of us in the university community find acceptable," Kay said. "Particularly when we are trying to promote a culture of diversity and acceptance among our student body. People of all races need to be welcome in this part of the world."
    This University is promoting a culture of acceptance, but don't differentiate between legal and illegal immigrants. These University folks should be smart enough to know the difference between race and nationality.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn