Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sheriffs Coalition Says Border Fence Not Answer

Sheriffs Coalition Says Border Fence Not Answer

May 23, 2007 09:50 PM PDT

Despite the federal government's belief that building a fence along the Rio Grande will help to curb illegal immigration in the Valley, some members of the Texas Sheriffs Border Coalition announced Wednesday that they believe that a fence is not the answer.

At a meeting in Pharr Wednesday, sheriffs from across South Texas met with local law enforcement authorities to discuss the issue of building a border fence.

Ironically, about 15 miles east of Pharr, Hidalgo County Sheriff's deputies accidentally came upon 75 illegal immigrants hiding out.

Action 4 News cameras were the only ones there Wednesday afternoon, when officers raided the alleged stash house, located on Bentsen Palm Drive and 3 Mile Line north of Palmview.

Investigators said that sheriff's deputies were following a lead on stolen vehicles when they came upon the house filled with about 75 illegal immigrants.

Maria Gipe said in Spanish that she can't believe 75 people were hiding out there just across the street from her home.

Action 4 News asked her if she thought building a fence along the Rio Grande would help to curb the illegal immigration problem her and her neighbors are seeing.

She said that she doesn't think that it would work and feels illegal's would somehow still find a way to get across.

Those same sentiments were echoed at the Sheriffs Coalition meeting.

"Information that we have gotten from some cartel members, our intelligence's comes from the cartels, if they build a fence, they're going to knock it down anyway," said Zapata County Sheriff Sigifredo Gonzalez Jr. "They're going to make holes through it anyway. So what I get out of the fence deal. The burden if the fence were to be built and the maintenance of the fence will be left to local officers."

Hidalgo County Sheriff Lupe Trevino also said that he believed the fence is not a good idea, especially the millions of dollars it will cost to build it.

"That money could be better spent in maybe personnel," Trevino said. "If they gave us some of that money so that we could hire more deputies to secure our border and even lower our crime rate more than we already have."

The 75 illegal immigrants, which included both men and women, were taken into custody by the U.S. Border Patrol to be processed for deportation.

http://www.team4news.com/Global/story.a ... 7&nav=0w0v
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    "Information that we have gotten from some cartel members, our intelligence's comes from the cartels, if they build a fence, they're going to knock it down anyway," said Zapata County Sheriff Sigifredo Gonzalez Jr. "They're going to make holes through it anyway. So what I get out of the fence deal. The burden if the fence were to be built and the maintenance of the fence will be left to local officers."
    Hmmm.....excellent mindset! Should we also stop enforcing speeding laws, because there are still those that are going to speed. Perhaps we should stop making drug raids, because we're never going to stop ALL drug dealers from dealing. Maybe we should just remove all border checkpoints, because it isn't stopping illegals either. Better yet, why doen't you all just turn in your badges, because there is going to be crime regardless of what you do.

Build that damn fence! I'm getting sick and tired of those in the Texas border communities constantly complaining about security issues that impact the whole nation! What a bunch of whinners. Truth be told most of those complaining probably have relatives living in Mexico.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

BINGO ...not to mention lots and lots of FAVORS brought to them by our good ol friend the NAU/SPP folks...
    Ya know when ever I hear about fences not working...I just have to laugh...because I always think about the GREAT WALL OF CHINA...maybe they just don't read about history..it worked for Millions of Chinese...and it sure stopped INVASIONS
    I think ...they think if they keep saying it will not work long enough we just might buy it...Bwahahahahaha
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Banned
    The following post is for amusement only:
    My anwer to an law enforcement officer that opposes secuity messures

My wife came up with a good one last night

1. build the fence
    2. motion detectors
    3.- 20,000,000. fire hoses set off by said motion detectors.

If you think about it would save money… boarder guards could video tape the results

It works for the coast guard.

or build the fence in the middle of the Rio Grande and abot o fifty or so feet down but that would be wrong so lets not do that either