Sacramento Sheriff's department gives details of meth bust in Gilroy

By Kim Minugh
kminugh@sacbee.com

Last week's bust of a Mexican-based drug trafficking operation appears to be the largest seizure of methamphetamine - more than 600 pounds - ever recorded in the country's history, according to authorities.

Flanked by local, state and federal authorities, Sacramento County sheriff's authorities marveled today at the magnitude of Thursday's bust, which culminated a year-long investigation that began with a street-level transaction in Sacramento.

The methamphetamine, discovered in various stages of production in a Gilroy home, is so concentrated that it could be diluted three- to four times before being sold on the street, said sheriff's Lt. Fred Links, commander of the department's multiagency task forces.

That would mean more than 2,500 pounds of diluted dope worth upward of $200 million on the street had the raid not occurred, he said.

"These are alarming numbers, I assure you," Links said.

Authorities arrested eight men, all Mexican nationals, in connection with the operation, which processed and distributed drugs supplied from Mexico throughout the United States, according to officials.

An average of $250,000 was sent back to ringleaders in Mexico daily. On one particularly lucrative day, $650,000 was sent, Links said.

The arrested men will be prosecuted in Sacramento, where the case began. They face life in prison based on the allegations, Links said.

"I tell you that is rewarding for me," he said.

Call The Bee's Kim Minugh, (916) 321-1038.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/crime/archives/ ... z0xaSsevbk