Sheriff's Deputies Seize Over $800,000 in Cash

Updated: Friday, 06 Jan 2012, 12:09 PM MST
Published : Friday, 06 Jan 2012, 12:09 PM MST

PHOENIX - A Maricopa County Sheriff's office investigation leads to the seizure of over $800,000 in cash.

Undercover deputies arrested two suspected traffickers, Laura Behnke and Christian Vivola.

Both reside in the Anthem area and they're accused of distributing thousands of pounds of marijuana throughout the valley.

Two vehicles were also seized.

"Our investigations display a growing trend of drug trafficking within Maricopa County, after search warrants were served at the suspect's home; it appears that they may have been part of a larger money laundering organization. It seems to be more common for these drug smugglers to bring drugs in from our southern border and then ship them across the United States" says Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Behnke and Vivola face marijuana distribution charges.

Arpaio said "I will continue the fight against drug traffickers coming from Mexico, and I will be conducting another crime suppression operation, to include the mobilization of my Air Posse to stop drugs from entering Maricopa County. During other investigations conducted by my Office we have found that a number of drug smugglers come into Maricopa County to purchase their marijuana and other drugs and then resell these drugs throughout the United States."

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news...-cash-01062012