Lawmakers Say Shooting Highlights Need for Stronger Border Security

Reported by: Erica Proffer
Last Update: 7:24 pm

AUSTIN - State and federal lawmakers say the killing of Nancy Davis on Wednesday highlights the need for stronger border security. Federal leaders say they'll strengthen their efforts and promise more money.

The United States considers Mexico a partner in trade and tourism. The cartels threaten that partnership when it targets American lives. State and federal lawmakers say the attack on Nancy Davis shows the need for more security along our border.

Cartel gunfire hitting an American missionary is grabbing Washington’s attention. Nancy Davis was shot in the head in Mexico. She died in a U.S. hospital. Federal lawmakers are taking notice.

"It is a tragedy that a life dedicated to the service of others would be cut short by such a senseless act of violence. I extend my deepest condolences to her family and those who were impacted by her kindness and goodwill," Texas U.S. Sen. John Cornyn told CHANNEL 5 NEWS.

"Nancy's passing is a sad reminder of the many other innocent victims whose lives have been claimed by senseless violence in Mexico in recent years. My thoughts are with the families of all of these victims, and my prayer is that this violence will soon be stopped," says Cornyn.

He calls it a senseless violent act, a sad reminder of what's going on in the nation's back yard.

“This is an incredibly tragic incident, and it does underscore the need for border security,â€