Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Should Illegals be Deported? (Raleigh, NC interview)

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/politics/060406a.asp

Should Illegal Immigrants be Deported?
    By Mark Martin
    CBN News Reporter
    April 6 , 2006

CBN.com – RALEIGH, North Carolina - Ask for opinions on illegal immigrants in Raleigh, North Carolina, and you can get some strong responses.

One woman said, “They need to be deported right away.”

A young man said, “Personally, I don't think they're giving anything. Wherever they're from, it's not working out, so they come here and try to get jobs. But if you’re really thinking about it, they're not giving anything. They're just taking away jobs from young people like us, trying to pay rent.”

But others seem to feel like this woman. “I think if they pass a law that will help those who are already here become legal, that'll be great for them because they're trying to live a better life over here in the United States. As long as they went about it properly, I don't think it would be a problem.”

But no matter what your opinion is about them, they are here -- in communities across the nation, at soccer games, in stores, on construction sites, and in churches.

North Carolina has the second-fastest growing Hispanic population in the country. About 600,000 Hispanics live in the state, and it is estimated that about half of them are there illegally.

And -- as in other parts of the U.S. – they are having a strong impact on the economy. Many construction jobs in the U.S. are filled by Hispanic workers.

And some critics charge that their cheap labor is denying jobs to American citizens. But one contractor says their labor is keeping housing prices down by about 10 percent, which has helped feed the housing boom.

And their economic impact is being felt in other ways as well.

Claudia Perez Ortado came here legally 21 years ago. She is part owner of a service company that caters to Raleigh's Hispanic community.

It is one of the more than 9,000 Hispanic-owned small businesses in North Carolina, and more are being started every day.

“If you look at this whole mall, where we're at right now, we wouldn't be here. We're one of the smaller stores -- some of those bigger stores, they have 40 employees. So it's not like it's just a take-take situation -- there's also giving back,” Ortado said.

The mall boasts a grocery store that specializes in Spanish food, and a travel agency that takes passengers to Mexico.

Ortado's company, La Oficina, serves Hispanics -- legal and illegal -- by helping them understand and comply with U.S. laws, advising them how to pay taxes, set up utilities, and purchase insurance.

She says most immigrants she talks with never intended to stay in the U.S., but decided to stay after seeing that they could give their families a better future here.

Ortado said, “Some people, they come here to work and they're like, five years and I'm out of here. But five years comes and they say, you know what, I can give my kids a better life here. I’m gonna bring them. I'm gonna stay here, and I want them to grow up learn English, go to school, get educated.”

The 12 million Hispanic illegal immigrants currently living in the U.S. are a hot button issue, as Congress considers immigration reform.

The Senate bill proposes fines, a lengthy waiting period, and passing background checks to allow illegal immigrants to gain citizenship. It is an idea that seems to have support in the Hispanic community.

“They want to work for it because there are some people who are not willing to work for it,” Ortado said. “And if they're willing to work for it, then it just gives it that much more value.”

Illegal immigrant Jose stated, “It's the only way that I can show I love this country.”

Jose has been in the U.S. for 13 years. Because he is not here legally, we've blurred his face. He says he came to the U.S. to give his children a better future.

“My son, he goes to school,” Jose said. “They have to study to be somebody in the future. Not like us, we have to work two jobs. We had to work at 12 years old, to start work -- that's when I started. Now we work for our family, for the future. They have to be somebody in the future.”

He has come to the office to pay his taxes, partly because it will keep him out of trouble with the authorities. But also, he says, because he wants to fulfill an obligation.

Jose remarked, “I come to this country to be part of this country. And I’m trying to do the best I can with the law. And sometimes I can't be straight like I’m supposed to. You know, sometimes we break the law, like cross this way for immigration, you know. But we don't have no other way to do because, you know, like I say this country is the opportunity to be somebody.”

And he says that Hispanics he knows want to be a blessing to the U.S.

“I thank God for this country, because this country is a good place to be, and safe. A lot of security,” Jose affirmed.

But whether he continues to enjoy that security will depend on what Congress does in the coming days.

If there looking for a Bus driver to take them back to the border sign me up.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

“If you look at this whole mall, where we're at right now, we wouldn't be here. We're one of the smaller stores -- some of those bigger stores, they have 40 employees. So it's not like it's just a take-take situation -- there's also giving back,” Ortado said.

The mall boasts a grocery store that specializes in Spanish food, and a travel agency that takes passengers to Mexico.

Ortado's company, La Oficina, serves Hispanics -- legal and illegal -- by helping them understand and comply with U.S. laws, advising them how to pay taxes, set up utilities, and purchase insurance.
    It is exactly a take-take situation. It says so right there in black and white. They come here set up little Mexico where ever they are and serve their own people. If they were not there the mall would not be there? Well who needs another mall anyway.

The housing boom is also another load of bull. Like house prices need to go up any further. My house has appreciated over 150% in the last 4 years since I bought it. Not that I am complaining about my equity but I must admit that is ridiculous.

North Carolina has the second-fastest growing Hispanic population in the country. About 600,000 Hispanics live in the state, and it is estimated that about half of them are there illegally.
    MORE than half are illegal, I'm sure of that. Where do they get these figures from? I bet that most of the legal ones are anchor babies
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

Quote Originally Posted by dlm1968

[quote:gnlqsrhy]The mall boasts a grocery store that specializes in Spanish food, and a travel agency that takes passengers to Mexico.

It is exactly a take-take situation. It says so right there in black and white. They come here set up little Mexico where ever they are and serve their own people. If they were not there the mall would not be there? Well who needs another mall anyway.

The housing boom is also another load of bull. Like house prices need to go up any further. My house has appreciated over 150% in the last 4 years since I bought it. Not that I am complaining about my equity but I must admit that is ridiculous.[/quote:gnlqsrhy]

Little Mexico is right,,,,,everything they do is geared towards themselves.
    Their stores, the fact that they WILL NOT speak English,,, even their TV commercials only have Mexicans in them, no Americans ,or other races of people what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by jimpasz
    If there looking for a Bus driver to take them back to the border sign me up.

well that makes two drivers now find us some buses.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)