Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Small TX town has to endure student protests

http://www.tylerpaper.com/site/news.cfm ... 6369&rfi=6

(See more photos from these truant lawbreakers aided by police in their "demonstration" in the pictures section of this forum)

JOHN TYLER STUDENTS TAKE PROTEST TO THE STREETS By: BETTY WATERS, Staff Writer
    03/31/2006

John Tyler High School students
    take to the street on Friday
    to protest proposed immigration
    legislation in Washington.
    (Staff Photo By: Tom Worner)

Hispanic students from John Tyler High School marched downtown Friday to protest proposed immigration reform laws that they believe would treat Mexican immigrants like criminals, stop Hispanics from coming to America for a better life and send illegal immigrants back to Mexico.

With a shout, the group - which gathered in front of the school under the watchful eye of school officials and a few police - began streaming off campus about 8:30 a.m. and headed south on Loop 323 at a fast pace, sometimes running.

Katherine Oates Erickson, Tyler Independent School District communications director, estimated that about 150 to 200 people participated in the walk.

Of about 2,100 students enrolled at JT, 45.7 percent are Hispanic, 44.6 percent are black, 8.9 percent are white and 8 percent are other races.

Some protesters carried flags from Mexico and others wore Mexican-themed attire - sombreros, ponchos and colorful hats.

A few waved signs with messages that included "We are Not Criminals," "Working is Not a Crime" and "Stop HR 4437," the latter a reference to one of the immigration bills pending in Congress. Another sign read, "I'm brown and proud."

The group crossed Loop 323 despite heavy traffic and turned toward town on Texas Highway 64, which becomes Erwin Street.

Shortly, several police patrol cars and motorcycle officers appeared and began monitoring the march, directing traffic and ordering students who had been walking in the roadway to move onto the sidewalk.

Along the way, some adults joined the protest, while others followed in cars, loudly playing Hispanic music, honking horns, dangling Mexican flags out car windows and yelling support. Traffic moved slowly or virtually stopped.

Marchers chanted "Mexico, Mexico," "We love Mexico," "Stop HR 4437" and "We won't go."

Workers in businesses along the march route came outside to observe. Others gathered on street corners and in open spaces to watch.

POLICE PRESENCE

As the march swelled, so did the turnout of law enforcement officers. By the time the marchers approached downtown, numerous police vehicles accompanied the marchers in front, beside and behind the column, which stretched almost a block.

"We started out with a small contingent and as the crowds grew, we grew to close to 40 officers," said Don Martin, Tyler Police Department's public information officer. The department had patrol officers, motorcycle officers, detectives, juvenile detention officers, constables and deputies from the Smith County Sheriff"s Department on the scene.

To promote safety, officers shut down some intersections as the marchers moved through. Using loud speakers, officers urged students to "be careful, stay on the sidewalk, stay together" and thanked them when the youngsters complied.

The protesters numbered around 200 to 250 when they entered the T.B. Butler Fountain Plaza, Martin estimated. As officers watched the crowd filling the plaza, the protesters shouted, chanted and waved large and small Mexican flags. There was also an American flag tied to a Mexican flag.

SPEAKING OUT

Students said they were protesting the proposed immigration laws and wanted to make the community aware of their position.

Yesenia Ramirez, a senior, said she participated in the march "to let y'all know we are united and do not judge us just by our color but who we are. We are not criminals; we are just some hardworking Hispanics and we want a better life. We want to say to the whole community, 'Help us. Stand up for what you believe. Don't be afraid.'"

Mary Ann Garcia, a junior, said, "Even though I'm legal, I still have family who are illegal and I don't feel it's right what they (lawmakers) are doing. Mexicans are here to work and that's all we're asking for. I thought this was a free country. They've been letting us come for so long and all of a sudden they want to stop us from coming."

Raun Ontiveros, a sophomore, said, "I don't think it's right for the U.S. to try to kick every Mexican out. We're not citizens, but we come here to help the U.S. to be a better place to live. We see a lot of crime supposedly (committed) by Hispanic folks. There's a lot of us not like that. Some of us come here to work and we do things nobody else can do. This is a country for liberty for everybody."

Adrianna Lugo, a sophomore, said that although she was born in the U.S., "I don't think it's right for them to send Mexican people back to Mexico."

Maria Verona, who is the parent of a JT student and was born in Tyler, said she has relatives in Mexico and joined the protest "to help support the illegals who come here to make a better living." She added, "Mexico is a poor country; they come here to better themselves, get better jobs, a better education for their kids and a better place to live."

Adanvilla Lovos, a senior, said, "We've got Mexican flags out here, but all we want is to be Americans." Students standing nearby applauded his remark.

Student Element Arraeuia said that Mexican immigrants have "done nothing wrong; they have just come up here to work and they (lawmakers) are treating us immigrants like we are criminals and like we did something wrong."

MARCH CONTINUES

The marchers left the plaza and proceeded east on Erwin Street, then cut along back side streets to Beckham Avenue, where they stopped in the parking lots of two Hispanic stores, La Michoacana and Panaderia Nuevoleon. One student said they made those stops to show support for Hispanics who gather at the corner of Beckham and Line Street in hopes that passing Tylerites will hire them.

The marchers then proceeded south on Beckham back to Erwin, and continued east on Erwin to a business at the corner of Erwin and Townsend called Big Gran Fiesta near a park frequented by Hispanics.

Store owner Alverea Berec said she often talks to Hispanic youths. "I tell them I think they have their right to say whatever they want to say, but don't make trouble," she said.

The marchers retraced their steps west on Erwin back to the downtown plaza, where they renewed their chants and protests. By then, they had walked about six miles.

After awhile, the protest seemed to lose steam and students began milling about, talking among themselves as law enforcement officers observed.

BACK TO CLASS

About 11:30 a.m., two school buses and three city buses arrived, and police officers encouraged students to board the buses for a ride back to school. The students did not immediately respond, but after being assured they would be welcomed back on campus, most got on the buses.

"At this time, a number of students have indicated they want to go back. Transportation is being provided to take the children back to school, although that is a bit awkward because the school system has nothing to do with this event and it's not a school-sponsored event," Ms. Erickson said.

"We made the decision (to provide transportation) based on what we believe is best for kids. It could be dangerous for them to walk back in smaller groups, so we are providing transportation."

Martin said on behalf of police, "We're just glad that no one got hurt. They had something they wanted to say and state and they did so and pretty much they complied with what we asked as far as staying on sidewalks and not getting out in traffic."

The group did not have a permit to march in the streets, but no permit is needed to walk on the sidewalks, Martin said.

UNEXCUSED ABSENCE

Dr. Karen Raney, Tyler ISD secondary education director, said missing classes to march will be counted as an unexcused absence for students.

Under the state compulsory attendance law, consequences will depend on how many unexcused absences they have as to whether they will be in jeopardy of losing credit for a course, Dr. Raney said.

Betty Waters covers Tyler public schools. She can be reached at 903.596.6286. e-mail: news@tylerpaper.com

Yes, they had their little 'march' yesterday....I saw it on the news last night...and of course it would be J T Highschool...that's where the hispanics attend.

I don't know where they got those quotes b/c those on the news last night had no idea what they were marching about...they were just out of school for awhile...it was a lark to them.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

Cant we stop the anchor babies?

This article shows the loyalty anchor babies have wioth their illegal parents and that unlinke their parents they will have voting rights - we gave those to them!!! This is why some of our politicians are running scared.

How can na bill be passed to stop anchor babies getting US citizenship and using our schools etc.?? HOW?

Marchers chanted "Mexico, Mexico," "We love Mexico," "Stop HR 4437" and "We won't go."
    THEN GO BACK TO THAT CESSPOOL IF YOU LOVE IT SO MUCH! Apparently you don't love it or you would have stayed there! Just get out!

Well

excuse me but if I understand correctly, don't you have to have a permit to march or demonstrate? Does this not again break the law? This is going to get ugly.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

Re: Well

Quote Originally Posted by ohflyingone
    excuse me but if I understand correctly, don't you have to have a permit to march or demonstrate? Does this not again break the law? This is going to get ugly.
    Here's a quote from the article. Seems the local law enforcement rather aided and abetted the lawbreakers.

In my day, we'd know not to step a foot outside the classroom because the paddle would be waiting at home.

These kids' parents don't have the parents most of us had because if they did they wouldn't be behaving this way!

Quote from article: "Martin said on behalf of police, "We're just glad that no one got hurt. They had something they wanted to say and state and they did so and pretty much they complied with what we asked as far as staying on sidewalks and not getting out in traffic."

The group did not have a permit to march in the streets, but no permit is needed to walk on the sidewalks, Martin said."