Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Smithfield Plant In NC Operating Despite Walkout

http://www.wral.com/apncnews/10346190/detail.html

Smithfield Plant In North Carolina Operating Despite Walkout

POSTED: 5:52 pm EST November 17, 2006
    UPDATED: 5:52 pm EST November 17, 2006

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Operations slowed at a Smithfield Foods Inc. slaughtering plant in North Carolina on Friday after hundreds of workers, mostly Hispanics, walked off their jobs to protest the recent firing of immigrants for allegedly providing false documents.

In all, about 1,000 nonunion workers have participated in the walkout since it began Thursday morning, company and labor officials said.

Smithfield spokesman Dennis Pittman disputed reports by the United Food and Commercial Workers Union that the plant had been shut down by the labor action.

"Fewer than 20 percent of our employees have been out at any given time," Pittman said. "We are operating at 70 percent of capacity."

About 300 workers were protesting Friday morning outside the plant in Tar Heel, a small town about 25 miles south of Fayetteville, N.C., said Libby Manly, a union representative.

Smithfield shares closed unchanged at $26.97 on the New York Stock Exchange.

The UFCWU, which has been trying to form a union at the plant for years, helped organize the protest. The facility is considered the world's largest hog slaughtering plant.

Pittman said that by the afternoon, some employees had already met with company officials and only about 150 people remained outside.

At issue is the company's decision to comply with a request from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to gather the names, Social Security numbers, dates of birth and gender of workers at the plant. About 500 to 600 workers were found to have unverifiable information, and the company has fired about 50 so far for providing false information, Pittman said.

"We are trying to help our employees understand why we have to do what we are doing," Pittman said. "We have lost some of our best long-term employees because of this."

At the workers' request, Smithfield officials will meet Friday afternoon with representatives of the Catholic Church to explain and discuss the matter, Pittman said, adding that the company had temporarily halted efforts to gather workers' information.

Workers on Friday distributed a statement from Latino and black leaders that calls for an end to "unjust firing of Smithfield workers and the timely rehire of all workers who have been unfairly terminated." The statement also demanded no retaliation against protesting workers.

"Smithfield fired these workers following a spate of activities in which workers began to stand up and demand their rights," said Gene Bruskin, a representative of the union who serves as the Smithfield campaign director. "The timing reeks of Smithfield's continued pattern of intimidation and fear."

The plant employees 5,000 workers and slaughters up to 32,000 hogs a day. Smithfield, Va.-based Smithfield Foods is the world's largest pork processor.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

FIRE THEM!! Replace them with loyal Ameircans!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

At the workers' request, Smithfield officials will meet Friday afternoon with representatives of the Catholic Church to explain and discuss the matter, Pittman said,
    What's with this? Is the Catholic Church their "guardian" ???!

Workers on Friday distributed a statement from Latino and black leaders that calls for an end to "unjust firing of Smithfield workers
    I just don't get it with these so-called black leaders. I listen to the local black talk radio show in Nashville and believe me, they are deeply opposed to illegals! Matter of fact, they have had two protests led by a local black minister.

Quote Originally Posted by gofer
    I just don't get it with these so-called black leaders. I listen to the local black talk radio show in Nashville and believe me, they are deeply opposed to illegals! Matter of fact, they have had two protests led by a local black minister.
    I would imagine that the so-called "black leaders" are shakedown artists like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton (and the up and coming Baraque Obama) who work to undermine the lives of poor working class blacks by ensuring that illegal Mexican immigrants get jobs before poor Blacks do.

Strange world we live in!

"We are trying to help our employees understand why we have to do what we are doing," Pittman said. "We have lost some of our best long-term employees because of this."
    You've lost some longterm customers also. My family and I refuse to buy products produced by illegal un-inspected workers. I will be happy to have a pork producer again. Let us know when you're legal and there'll be ham for Christmas.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'll support their efforts to get rid of those illegally here.Where do we write to?By the way all CNN is running on their banner is 1000 workers walk out.Nothing about the plant continueing to run.We CAN make it without these parasites!

Yes, we can make it without the illegals - but Smithfield doesn't get an ounce of my sympathy or support. They knew what they were doing when they hired these people.

I say don't buy the products - hit them now.

Of course, the number fired was some miniscule amount compared to the number they have working for them. I am not sure if Smithfield is not working hand in glove with the illegals so the new congress can give the illegals amnesty. I believe amnesty was exactly what was planned by the new congress - regardless of the so-called political makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie
    Yes, we can make it without the illegals - but Smithfield doesn't get an ounce of my sympathy or support. They knew what they were doing when they hired these people.

I say don't buy the products - hit them now.

Of course, the number fired was some miniscule amount compared to the number they have working for them. I am not sure if Smithfield is not working hand in glove with the illegals so the new congress can give the illegals amnesty. I believe amnesty was exactly what was planned by the new congress - regardless of the so-called political makeup.
    Geez, TRIXIE.......were you reading my mind?

Finally, a big offending company bending to pressure to enforce our hiring laws!!

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie
    Remember May 1?

Smithfield Foods of Virginia said Thursday it will take time Monday to help employees write to U.S. senators and representatives with demands for changes in immigration law, including "a path to citizenship for those who are willing to work," according to a company press release.