Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member controlledImmigration's Avatar

Smuggling ring leader gets 5 years

Smuggling ring leader gets 5 years
    El Paso Times Staff
    Article Launched: 09/20/2007 12:00:00 AM MDT

By Louie Gilot

El Paso Times

The woman who led a large smuggling ring that bribed Border Patrol agents and moved hundreds of immigrants from El Paso to other cities across the U.S. starting in 2002 was sentenced to five years, eight months in prison in federal court Wednesday.

Ofelia Marquez Chavez pleaded guilty in May to conspiracy to smuggle immigrants and launder money. Twenty-seven people were indicted together in the case.

In her plea agreement, Marquez Chavez agreed her group operated for at least five years and moved 100 immigrants a week at its peak, often in groups of 30 to 40. She also said the ring made between $1 million and $2 million in smuggling fees.

Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Frank Montalvo also ordered Marquez Chavez to pay $10,000 in fines.

Marquez Chavez said she was remorseful and grateful to have been caught "in time" before her escalating illegal activities sent her away for life.

Marquez Chavez, who has been in prison for almost three years on an unrelated charge of illegal re-entry, said that, among other things, she was thriving in prison and teaching GED classes to other inmates. She also said she has had time to reflect on her life.

"I chose the easier way because I always had my needs. I wanted money. I have to admit I liked that, not having debt, going to the store and choosing what to buy. In speaking with other people who had been in the same situation, they said they did it for their families. Honestly, I did not think of my children. On the contrary, I was only thinking about myself," she told the court Wednesday.

"I thought I could show my children that even though I was from humble origins, I could make them proud. But it was the opposite. I have shamed them."

Louie Gilot may be reached at lgilot@elpasotimes.com; 546-6131.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_6942529

what?

Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Frank Montalvo also ordered Marquez Chavez to pay $10,000 in fines.

10,000, what a joke.

"I chose the easier way because I always had my needs. I wanted money. I have to admit I liked that, not having debt, going to the store and choosing what to buy. In speaking with other people who had been in the same situation, they said they did it for their families. Honestly, I did not think of my children. On the contrary, I was only thinking about myself," she told the court Wednesday.

"I thought I could show my children that even though I was from humble origins, I could make them proud. But it was the opposite. I have shamed them."

Jeez, this lady is one enlightened individual....what a mess of a person. "I'll be a criminal so I can go into a store and buy what I want, and so my kids can be proud of me."

Mom of the year award