Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Snow clarifies "nonsensical" comment

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=52659 -
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WND AT THE WHITE HOUSE
    Snow clarifies 'nonsensical' comment
    Apologizes for misunderstanding over pardons for Border Patrol agents

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: October 27, 2006
    3:14 p.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

White House spokesman Tony Snow
    WASHINGTON – White House press secretary Tony Snow today apologized for any misunderstanding he caused by characterizing as "nonsensical" a question from WND White House correspondent Les Kinsolving about a possible pardon for two Border Patrol agents sentenced to prison for shooting a drug smuggler.

"I wasn't trying to embarrass anyone," Snow told Joseph Farah, editor of WND. "It's just that I am not permitted even to discuss pardons – to comment on them. This is the president's call alone."

Snow indicated he has been getting a lot of heat from radio talk-show hosts and angry Americans over his comment.

"I was not judging the merits of a pardon for these agents," he said. "I was just trying to make the point that I cannot comment on matters concerning pardons."

(Story continues below)

Kinsolving asked Snow during a White House press briefing Monday whether Bush would consider using his power of pardon to free the agents.

"That's an unanswerable question, Les. The president is the person who is responsible for pardons. You can tell the network, which made you ask that question, that it is nonsensical," Snow said.

The question referenced the terms of 11 years and 12 years handed down by U.S. District Court Judge Kathleen Cardone in El Paso, Texas, last week. She gave Jose Alonso Compean 12 years in prison and Ignacio Ramos 11 years and one day despite a plea by their attorney for a new trial after three jurors said they were coerced into voting guilty in the case, the Washington Times reported.

As WND has reported, a federal jury convicted Compean, 28, and Ramos, 37, in March after a two-week trial on charges of causing serious bodily injury, assault with a deadly weapon, discharge of a firearm in relation to a crime of violence and a civil rights violation.

Ramos is an eight-year veteran of the U.S. Naval Reserve and a former nominee for Border Patrol Agent of the Year.

On Feb. 17, 2005, Ramos responded to a request for back up from Compean, who noticed a suspicious van near the levee road along the Rio Grande River near the Texas town of Fabens, about 40 miles east of El Paso. A third agent also joined the pursuit.

Fleeing was an illegal alien, Osbaldo Aldrete-Davila of Mexico. Unknown to the growing number of Border Patrol agents converging on Fabens, Aldrete-Davila's van was carrying 800 pounds of marijuana.

Aldrete-Davila stopped the van on a levee, jumped out and started running toward the river. When he reached the other side of the levee, he was met by Compean who had anticipated the smuggler's attempt to get back to Mexico.

"We both yelled out for him to stop, but he wouldn't stop, and he just kept running," Ramos told California's Inland Valley Daily Bulletin.

"At some point during the time where I'm crossing the canal, I hear shots being fired," Ramos said. "Later, I see Compean on the ground, but I keep running after the smuggler."

At that point, Ramos said, Aldrete-Davila turned toward him, pointing what looked like a gun.

"I shot," Ramos said. "But I didn't think he was hit, because he kept running into the brush and then disappeared into it. Later, we all watched as he jumped into a van waiting for him. He seemed fine. It didn't look like he had been hit at all."

In a move that still confuses Ramos and Compean, the U.S. government filed charges against them after giving full immunity to Aldrete-Davila and paying for his medical treatment at an El Paso hospital.

"This is the greatest miscarriage of justice I have ever seen," said Andy Ramirez of the nonprofit group Friends of the Border Patrol. "This drug smuggler has fully contributed to the destruction of two brave agents and their families and has sent a very loud message to the other Border Patrol agents: If you confront a smuggler, this is what will happen to you."

Special offers:
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Miscarriage of justice isn't the half of it. It's outrageous and completely "nonsensical"!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I don't understand this! I'm still in shock about the outcome.

Someone please EXPLAIN THIS to me!!! No common sense, no logic.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendsis
    I don't understand this! I'm still in shock about the outcome.

Someone please EXPLAIN THIS to me!!! No common sense, no logic.
    The only thing that makes sense is that the drug smuggler had high level protection and was supposed to be left alone.

The agents didn't know that, so they have to pay for getting in the way of business. It sets an example for the other agents as well.

If anyone has a better explanation, I'd love to hear it.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

MW
    CountFloyd wrote:

If anyone has a better explanation, I'd love to hear it.
    I'll give it a shot.

Perhaps Attorney General Gonzales, the prosecuting D.A., and the case judge are all open border advocates on a mission to reduce border security. They are just doing their part to ensure the hoard of illegals have the open access to America they so much want, need, have earned, and deserve.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Or simply put..We have organized crime in our government hell bent on destroying America.

Hi CCUSA,

Tony Snow used to be conservative (or was that all a ruse?). Now he's a flaming LIBERAL of the kind he used to talk about when he hosted the Rush Limbaugh show.

Consider, CCUSA, that, after the 2008 election, Tony may get to keep his job, under either a McCain presidency or a Hillary Rodham presidency.

What part of "We don't owe our jobs to India" are you unable to understand, Senator?

Mr parking ticket can stuff it!
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee