Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

SOB-American Dream fading for Latino business owners

American Dream fading for Latino business owners
    Customers who lost jobs in the sinking economy or fear being deported are spending less or leaving.
    By Franco Ordoñez
    fordonez@charlotteobserver.com
    Posted: Friday, May. 08, 2009
    Slideshow

Celestino Hernandez owned four groceries across Charlotte, but in the last two months, he has had to close three. And sales at his one remaining store are down more than 50 percent.

At this time last year, he owned four groceries and three bakeries. For many Latinos, he was a symbol of the American dream.

No longer. Hernandez and other Latino business owners face uncertain futures as their customers flee a slumping economy and the threat of deportation.

In the past four months, Hernandez closed his three bakeries and all but one of his Carniceria La Mexicana groceries, including the South Boulevard store.

“We lasted 13 years, three months and 15 days in that store,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Perhaps the store owners should pursue the Mexican Dream.

No part of North Carolina has more Latinos than Mecklenburg County – some 80,000 live here.

More than half of the state's Latinos work in construction (42.2 percent) or manufacturing (10.7 percent), according to a 2006 study by UNC Chapel Hill's Kenan Institute.
    That's 33,600 jobs in construction and 8,500 jobs in manufacturing that should belong to American citizens and legal immigrants.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ELE

The illegals broke our laws and was punished, period.

Perhaps the store owners should pursue the Mexican Dream. Great comment, ReggieMay!

My sympathy goes to all of the American people that have lost theor jobs and/or been displaced by illegals. Not illegals.

PS
    I wonder of the illegal paid any taxes on his businesses?

Perhaps now Americans... U.S. Taxpaying American Citizens... can have a chance at the American Dream!
    Remember that*all Politicians work for us, the U.S. Taxpaying Citizens.* If they are not doing their jobs to your liking, FIRE THEM in the next elections.

[quote]“For me, it's been like a cancer,â€
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Aww looks like some want a pity party..suck it up! When you put all in your eggs in one basket by catering to one group, that's what happens. Now they cry because their business is down? Well they deserve it! A business should serve and welcome ALL customers, these places decided to concentrate on one group.

I went to a hispanic supermarket in NJ once. I had some friends with me who did not speak Spanish, so we spoke English. I was appalled at the looks we got and what was coming out of the employees mouths! Before we left, I asked to speak to the manager, in spanish, and proceeded to ream him out for having such racist, rude, crude and lewd employees. Told him we would not be back.

Another thing, is these illegal aliens were sooo poor, how could they afford to eat out all the time?
    "

GOOD NEWS to me .

[quote="Richard"][quote]“For me, it's been like a cancer,â€

Aww looks like some want a pity party..suck it up! When you put all in your eggs in one basket by catering to one group, that's what happens. Now they cry because their business is down? Well they deserve it! A business should serve and welcome ALL customers, these places decided to concentrate on one group.
    BINGO! Sounds like these latino stores only cater to latinos. If they were smart they would cater and advertise to everyone. They deserve to go down!

[quote]She blames the economy, but also says tougher immigration enforcement has driven Latinos away. “It's a crisis,â€
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast