Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

SOB,Backgrounds play role in new immigrants success,school

Backgrounds play big role in new immigrants' success in U.S. classrooms

11:02 PM CDT on Monday, June 9, 2008
    Story by MACARENA HERNÃ
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I noticed a common thread in this article, these immigrant students speak ENGLISH! But what does this article have to do with illegal immigration?

Victor comes from Monterrey, Mexico's third largest metroplex and biggest industrial center. "In Monterrey, if you don't speak English, you are no one," says the 18-year-old, a self-described nerd.
    He's absolutely right!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

[quote="miguelina"]I noticed a common thread in this article, these immigrant students speak ENGLISH! But what does this article have to do with illegal immigration?

The format of the article, for some reason, made it difficult for me to follow so I may have missed it but I'm assuming the kids featured came here illegally with IA parents?

By the time Victor left, he had doubts that Adamson was the right school for him. Math was easier and there was much less homework than back home. He, like many immigrants, was surprised at how Mexican Adamson seemed and how much Spanish was spoken. He worried that he wouldn't have enough opportunity to practice English.

I have to say that I really admire this boy. We see so many of these kids, and their parents, DEMANDING that everything be geared toward their Spanish culture, that schools be dumbed down to reflect the overall illiteracy of their home countries and, subsequently, their upbringings.

Then to see a boy who not only doesn't demand it, but doesn't want it....that's truly refreshing to see and I wish him all the success in the world because he will truly have earned it.

Next year, Victor plans to return to his private school in Monterrey. Then, he says, he may come to the United States to study sound engineering in college.

Mexico is a country that needs people like Victor to turn it around and help it prosper so I hope that he will decide to stay there and make a difference. But, if he does decide to come here I say this......please Victor, do it legally.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)