Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

SocialSecurity agreement reached w/Mx

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... DT7420.DTL

I bumped across this when I did some Googlin'g out of curiousity because of a thread Charlesoakisland posted about the MX chopper landing in the U.S. We agreed it might be a sinister plot of "collusion with Mexico." I Googled that but only got three entries but when I used "pact with Mexico" this came up.

Has this SS "scheme" been in the works for awhile. Notice ol' bloviating Fox "hailed the agreement as good news for Mexican workers and for business" and further said "By avoiding this double taxation, we reduce the cost of investment and support the competitiveness of North America," Fox said.

Social Security agreement reached with Mexico on cross-border workers
    MORGAN LEE, Associated Press Writer
    Tuesday, June 29, 2004
    (06-29) 15:51 PDT GUADALAJARA, Mexico (AP) --

Mexican and U.S. officials signed an agreement Tuesday to eliminate double Social Security taxation, providing relief to thousands of people who work in both countries.

U.S. Social Security Commissioner Jo Anne Barnhart and Mexican Social Security Institute Director Santiago Levy signed the agreement at an economic development workshop here.

Workers also can count their work history in a foreign country to qualify for retirement benefits in one system, under the agreement. The pact still must be approved by the Mexican Senate and reviewed by the U.S. Congress.

"This agreement eliminates a serious and unnecessary impediment to American and Mexican businesses and their employees," said Social Security Commissioner Jo Anne Barnhart. "Just as important, it promotes equity and fairness for workers who divide their careers between our two countries."

U.S. companies that employ U.S. citizens in Mexico currently are required to contribute to both the U.S. and Mexican social security systems, as do Mexican companies employing Mexicans in the United States. The changes would apply to about 3,000 U.S. citizens and about 10,000 Mexicans working abroad, the Social Security Administration reported.

The changes could cost the U.S. retirement system about $105 million a year, the Social Security Administration estimated.

Nearly 47 million Americans received about $470 billion in Social Security benefits last year.

The cost of the agreement "is barely a rounding error for a program that takes in and sends out almost $500 billion a year," said Derrick Max, executive director of Americans for Worker Retirement Security, which advocates shoring up the system by creating private investment accounts. "This should not be viewed as a solvency issue."

The United States currently has similar so-called totalization agreements with 20 countries -- including most of Western Europe, Canada, Chile, South Korea and Australia. The agreement will let workers and their families qualify for prorated U.S. or Mexican benefits based on combined credits from both countries.

The new credits are likely to have a larger impact on Mexican workers, who must wait longer to receive benefits.

The Social Security Administration estimates that 50,000 U.S. and Mexican workers could receive benefits after five years as a result of the agreement.

Mexican President Vicente Fox hailed the agreement as good news for Mexican workers and for business.

"By avoiding this double taxation, we reduce the cost of investment and support the competitiveness of North America," Fox said.

The agreement does not address Mexicans working illegally in the United States, according to Jim Courtney, a press officer with the Social Security Administration.

"There are provisions of law that prevent us from paying undocumented aliens," Courtney said.

About 750 business and government officials attended the Guadalajara workshops, part of the Partnership for Prosperity initiative designed to encourage development in the areas of the Mexican countryside with high migration rates.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

Watchman, I pulled the original & explanation right off of the SS website yesterday.............they sure do like to throw the BS around there, LOL.

If you have a chance, go over there and read their "explanation of agreement" or something similar.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendsis
    Watchman, I pulled the original & explanation right off of the SS website yesterday.............they sure do like to throw the BS around there, LOL.

If you have a chance, go over there and read their "explanation of agreement" or something similar.
    Thanks, I saw the link on the article but didn't go read it. Has this already been posted here before?

I'm about to post another incidence of Hispandering. What I'm reading is ruining my Friday evening!
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

What I'm reading is ruining my Friday evening!
    DITTO multiples
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

increÃÂ*ble
    inacreditável
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Foxie (Vicente Fox) is full of hot air, among other substances!
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

Suggestion / opinion re: Pres. Social Security

My instincts are working overtime and I believe this is an opportunity we shouldn't let pass us by.

1. this week the Pres is going to PUSH his SS agenda on the hill etc.

2. we all know the "deals" behind closed doors with YOUR REPS & mine.

3. Since we are now aware of the AGREEMENT W/MEXICO ---this would be the time to Call all EVERYONE in congress and say
    "NO SOCIAL SECURITY REFORMS! NOT ONE REFORM, LET ALONE PRIVITIZATION {I happen to like handling my own money} UNTIL THE DEAL WITH MEXICO {state the agreement & have your facts handy} IS NULL & VOID!!!!!!!!!

4. Continue with the demand {politely so as not to be associated w/rude}firmly that ALL LAWS - THE RULE OF LAW - MUST BE FOLLOWED concerning ILLEGAL ALIENS.

**If we are SELECTIVE with the RULE OF LAW then we are no longer the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
    Tell me Congressman so and so's aid, is this what the Congressman is advocating? A break down of the RULE OF LAW?

>have your Rep's VOTING RECORD at the phone
    >have the explanation of the Mexican Agreement so they can't confuse you

***The goal for these phone calls and emails is to PUT THEM ALL ON NOTICE THAT WE ARE KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT THE AGREEMENT W/MEX and that WE ARE AWARE OF THE RULE OF LAW. That WE HAVE AWAKENED and are WATCHING THEM CLOSELY NOW

There is a post on here somewhere, OK I got it.

Here is the part I wanted to post.

Despite a lack of publicity on the accord with Mexico, opposition is growing, and it’s led by Congressmen from the President’s own party. In February, Rep. Virgil H. Goode, Jr., Virginia, announced plans to introduce a resolution asking the President not to submit the agreement to Congress. If the President goes ahead, Rep. J.D. Hayworth, Arizona, has promised to block it with another resolution.

And, according to the Washington Times, the Seniors Coalition, a seniors advocacy group, has joined the opposition with 387,000 petitions from angry members. "It’s a double cross that they do not understand ..." a spokesman asserted in the February Times report

Did they say "double cross?" Consider this: The U.S. already has an active agreement with Canada; the deal with Mexico would give the U.S. totalization deals with both of its North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) "partners." But now the Bush Administration is pushing congressional action on another open border trade pact --the Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA), which includes the countries of Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and the Dominican Republic.

Once CAFTA is approved, how could the U.S. possibly deny social security benefits to CAFTA countries, having already put Third World Mexico on the social security take?

Preposterous, yes. But the facts suggest that social security is not just being Mexicanized; it’s being internationalized. Only Congress can stop it. Contact your Congressman at 1(877)762-8762 (toll free). Demand that he (or she) oppose the social security agreement with Mexico and support Congressman Ron Paul’s H.R.858, which would reserve America’s social security system for Americans – Americans only! What a novel idea.
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-2283-j.html+d+haworth

This is the link.

In February, Rep. Virgil H. Goode, Jr., Virginia, announced plans to introduce a resolution asking the President not to submit the agreement to Congress. If the President goes ahead, Rep. J.D. Hayworth, Arizona, has promised to block it with another resolution.
    Yes, Darlene, I remember reading this, good stuff! I'm going to call his office and thank him. Each one of these good Reps needs to know we're standing along side them and not behind them