Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Some activists criticize 'Dream Act' as a draft for illegal

Some activists criticize 'Dream Act' as a draft for illegal immigrants

Oct 6, 2007

By: EDWARD SIFUENTES - Staff Writer

A bill expected to come before the Senate next month would give illegal immigrants who came into the country as children a chance to become legal residents by serving two years in the military.

The Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act, known as the Dream Act, was conceived six years ago as a way of giving young illegal immigrants a vehicle to legalize their status by attending college.

The bill, which is on hold in Congress, faces stiff opposition and an uphill road. It has gone through several changes and had been carried by different sponsors in the House and Senate. It was introduced in the Senate by Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, in 2001.

It was changed in 2003 to include military service to gain greater appeal among Republicans.

The Dream Act is supported by some in Congress, the military and in some immigrant rights groups who say it would benefit immigrant children while bolstering the military ranks. It is opposed by activists on both sides of the immigration debate who call it everything from an amnesty plan to a draft for immigrants.

A draft for immigrants?
    If approved, the bill would apply to an estimated 280,000 illegal immigrants, according an analysis of the measure.

Opponents, including some Latino activists, say the bill would railroad illegal immigrants into military service rather than college.

"I see it as a sort of draft," said Fernando Suarez del Solar, a local Latino anti-war activist. "It's immoral."

Suarez del Solar of Escondido founded the anti-war group Guerrero Azteca after his son, Lance Cpl. Jesus Suarez del Solar, was killed in Iraq. He said he would support the bill if illegal immigrants are also given the option of two years of community service, which had been included in an earlier version of the bill.

"What I've asked for is a wider range of options," Suarez del Solar said.

Supporters say the bill gives individuals a choice.

"The bill recognizes that while some young people choose to attend college, others decide to serve in the military," said Federico de Jesus, a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., one of the bill's main advocates. "The bill reflects these life decisions and provides young people an opportunity to achieve their dreams."

Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin, D-Ill., is the current bill's main sponsor in the Senate, along with a bipartisan group of about 26 co-sponsors. De Jesus said Reid plans to bring back the bill for debate in the Senate by Nov. 16.

The Dream Act was included in a comprehensive immigration reform plan debated in the Senate this summer. The wide-ranging plan, which included measures to increase border security and provisions to legalize millions of illegal immigrants, was defeated after much public debate.

Two weeks ago, Reid attempted to include the Dream Act in a defense spending bill, but pulled it back at the last minute.

Military signals support
    The bill would give temporary legal residency to high school graduates who have lived in the U.S. at least five years and arrived here by age 15. Qualified applicants who agreed to enroll in college or join the military would become legal U.S. residents for six years. Those who passed a criminal background check and attended college for two years or served two years in the military could apply for citizenship.

Defense officials and military analysts have signaled their support for the bill. They say it would help the military meet its recruitment goals in light of sagging enlistment figures and plans to expand some branches of the armed forces.

Bill Carr, acting deputy undersecretary of defense for military personnel policy, told representatives of veterans groups in June that the Dream Act would help military recruitment and readiness, according to the Defense Department's internal news service.

Because the provision would apply only to high school graduates who have stayed out of trouble, it would be "very appealing" to the military, Carr said.

An analysis of the Dream Act by the Migration Policy Institute estimated that as many as 280,000 high school graduates between the ages of 18 and 24 would meet the necessary requirements to become legal residents if the bill becomes law.

The Washington-based think tank, which specializes in immigration matters and is funded through various foundation grants, concluded in a policy paper last fall that it's difficult to estimate how many of those young people would join the military. But the group added that a "significant share" might enlist based on recent research.

The organization pointed to a 2004 survey by the Rand Corp., a private, nonprofit organization that researches an array of issues, including education, poverty, crime and national security; that survey indicated a high interest among Latinos to serve in the military.

About one-third of young Latino women and about 45 percent of Latino men reported they were "likely" or "very likely" to serve, according to the survey. That compares with 24 percent of white men and 10 percent of white women.

About 35,000 noncitizens who are legal residents serve in the military and about 8,000 of them enlist each year, according to Pentagon figures.

Anti-immigration groups oppose it
    Despite support from some military officials and top Republicans in the Senate, the bill is expected to face significant opposition from grass-roots, anti-illegal immigration groups, as well as lawmakers such as Rep. Brian Bilbray, R-Solana Beach, who has said he opposes it.

A North Carolina group called Americans for Legal Immigration and others mounted a public relations campaign against the bill last month when it came before the Senate.

"Most Americans do not support the Dream Act," said William Gheen, a spokesman for Americans for Legal Immigration. "It's amnesty."

Gheen added that "the idea of training illegal aliens to use elite weaponry" was not a good national security strategy because he believes many illegal immigrants have "separatist and racist political ideologies."

Some immigrant rights groups say the bill is a welcome, common sense solution for illegal immigrants who came here as children but have lost hope in becoming Americans. Some are unable to establish productive lives in this country and are unlikely to return to a birth country they don't know, advocates say.

"Narrowly targeted measures like the Dream Act ... can point the way towards real improvements for American families, the American economy, and the bright future of immigrants in the country," said Frank Sharry in a written statement. He is executive director of the National Immigration Forum, a pro-immigrant advocacy group in Washington.

Others who support legalization measures say they want a more comprehensive approach to immigration reform.

Jorge Mariscal, a UC San Diego professor of Latino studies and a Vietnam War veteran, said illegal immigrants may be forced into military service by the Dream Act because they may not be able to afford college tuition.

Mariscal is also part of an Encinitas-based group called Project on Youth and Non-Military Opportunities that acts as a counterpoint to military recruiters in local high schools.

"You are talking about a population that is absolutely desperate for legalization," he said. "And they are so desperate that they are going to join for the wrong reasons."

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/10 ... 0_6_07.txt
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Skip wrote on Oct 6, 2007 9:03 PM:" As an active duty serviceman I pray to God that they will never let Illegal Aliens join the United States Military in my Lifetime. "

Adam wrote on Oct 6, 2007 9:32 PM:" Frankly, I think the illegal aliens who managed to enter the country and escape capture by the Border Patrol demonstrate some pretty good skills adaptable for military use. "

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

A North Carolina group called Americans for Legal Immigration and others mounted a public relations campaign against the bill last month when it came before the Senate.

"Most Americans do not support the Dream Act," said William Gheen, a spokesman for Americans for Legal Immigration. "It's amnesty."

Gheen added that "the idea of training illegal aliens to use elite weaponry" was not a good national security strategy because he believes many illegal immigrants have "separatist and racist political ideologies."

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    "I see it as a sort of draft," said Fernando Suarez del Solar, a local Latino anti-war activist. "It's immoral."
    after reading this line ... just this line; my first thought was

but the more I thought about it... I laughed my A_ _ off
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Some activists criticize 'Dream Act' as a draft for ille

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    You already have the option of going back to your country and demanding they pay for your college! Exercise that option!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

You already have the option of going back to your country and demanding they pay for your college! Exercise that option!

Lots of Comments On This Story

EscoWatchDog wrote on Oct 6, 2007 8:41 PM:

" I agree..it's another backend poverty draft. Poor kids can't study in this country and get a higher education w/out being indebted to the gov't as military property when they are not allowed a citizenship but are allowed to fight for this country. "

Skip wrote on Oct 6, 2007 9:03 PM:

" As an active duty serviceman I pray to God that they will never let Illegal Aliens join the United States Military in my Lifetime. "

Adam wrote on Oct 6, 2007 9:32 PM:

" Frankly, I think the illegal aliens who managed to enter the country and escape capture by the Border Patrol demonstrate some pretty good skills adaptable for military use. "

Big Richard wrote on Oct 6, 2007 9:50 PM:

" NO NO NO NO NO This is how it will work. Many people will bypass going into the military. They will instead get student loans and go to school where many of them will not graduate and then default on the student loans. They will then be citizens. In addition this article was written by good ol eddy. Do you think he has realy included all the facts? "

Jim wrote on Oct 6, 2007 10:29 PM:

" If we go to this Dream situation, we should also give one felony voucher and one misdemeanor voucher to those of us who were born or naturalized here. Sort of like get out of jail free cards, since we, as a society, are unable to deal with simply securing the border. Homeland Security is a joke, and programs like Dream second the motion. "

Dream Act is a Nightmare wrote on Oct 6, 2007 10:33 PM:

" While the Dream Act may give warm fuzzies to those who want to have illegal immigrants here, it is a nightmare to those of us who are opposed to illegal entry into our country. The Dream Act is just another attempt at comprehensive immigration reform that U.S. citizens rejected overwhelmingly. There is too much amnesty included in it. The chain migration is still there and, in reality, expanded instead of discontinued. "

Dana wrote on Oct 6, 2007 10:34 PM:

" While we can have sympathy for those who were brought here as children, we do not have to give them the country just because they are here demanding it. There are children of U.S. citizens who cannot afford to go to college without incurring nearly insurmountable debt. Millions of citizens' children are being denied the very chance at a better life that you are touting for the children of illegal immigrants and the illegal immigrants themselves. "

MVet wrote on Oct 6, 2007 10:37 PM:

" Obviously these are not the same activists that are criticizing Ken Burns's documentary on World War Two. Where as Mr. Burns made a brilliant documentary that lasted 15 hours, one could also make a separate documentary on Mexico’s involvement in World War 2 in about 15 minutes. "

Bob wrote on Oct 6, 2007 10:38 PM:

" Washington DC - U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) has signed on as a co-sponsor of "The Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act," which would provide qualified undocumented high school students who wish to attend college or serve in the armed forces an opportunity to adjust to a lawful status and pursue these goals. The legislation, known as "The DREAM Act" is sponsored by Senators Orrin Hatch (R-UT) and Richard Durbin (D-IL). "

No Amnesty! wrote on Oct 6, 2007 11:51 PM:

" More pro-illegal babble from Reconquista Eddie! The Dream Act is a Nightmare for America. Hey Ed and Fernando, get it through your thick heads! America says no to Amnesty. No means no! "

Let's just send the Mexicans to Iraq wrote on Oct 7, 2007 2:20 AM:

" It reminds me of Brave Heart, when the English King sent the Irish in first and said 'Thy;re only Irish.' This is just WRONG! "

Lilathe wrote on Oct 7, 2007 5:27 AM:

" "They will instead get student loans and go to school where many of them will not graduate and then default on the student loans" It only requires attending college for 2 years, not passing anything. Nor does it stipulate what kind of college, could be "how to do nails" or art appreciation. So, attending cosmotology courses but not passing allows them to chain in 30 family members including the parents who brought them here illegally in the first place. Plus, notice it goes up to 30 year olds. 30 year olds are not children now are they? "

Time to UpriseCitizens!!! wrote on Oct 7, 2007 5:50 AM:

" There are a Couple of BIG Questions we need to continue to ask ourselfs?? Why if the Federal Goverment to include Congress doesnt listen to the people? and Bush does what he wants regardless of what the United States Citizens wants on this Issue with backs"Illegal Immigrants", are they still there? Bush could have been Impeached numerous times on War Crimes and Liying, Nancy P. Said NO IMPEACHMENT after she took office , We the American People Say no to these Damn Illegals but yet it doesn't matter. Citizens it does matter maybe not for us but for your CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN, AND THERS AS WELL!!! We s American Citizens don't have to take this. Bush says our Economy is strong how so, How many of you have or are losing yur Home? Bush don't have to worry he's a MILLIONAIRE, because of his OIL FIELDS, How many of you have Illnesses you never had? "Illegals" Why do These Illegals get to by houses use false Documentaion to do it, and vehicles then drive with out License's or insurance? We as a Country do not have to take this from Bush or anyone else, The $537 Million dollars a day that Bush spends on the war to get our young Men and Women Injured and Killed would go a long way to our Country. Tell your Represenatives STOP giving assistance to these Illegals with Medical Coverage, Welfare, Hospital, Damit Just say NO!!!! Do allow Illegals to give Birth in the United States and call them citizens. Stop this turmoil now or this world is going to hell in a hand basket!!! "

Kel wrote on Oct 7, 2007 6:06 AM:

" My nephew has a friend who has been in this country since he was 5 years old, he graduated from high school last year. My nephew joined the Marines and his friend wanted to, but technically he is not legal. He has never been in trouble, speaks perfect English and I feel this would be a great opportunity for him. I don't believe in illegal immigration, but some circumstances warrant a chance. I think the age when you came into this country should be lowered to around 10 or as a recent graduate you must speak impeccable English. Serving our country to become a citizen shouldn't be seen as a burden, it should be seen as a wonderful opportunity. If I had it to do over, I would serve my country in a heartbeat. I'm very patriotic and believe legal immigration is the way to get into this country. Being realistic though, something needs to be done. "

Al wrote on Oct 7, 2007 6:33 AM:

" How about we let all these illegals go back to Mexico and serve two years in their military guarding the border and preventing entry into the US? After the service, they can become Mexican citizens. "

Nightmare wrote on Oct 7, 2007 7:06 AM:

" The U.S. is desperate for more cannon-fodder. The few who aren't killed or maimed physically or mentally may have the "good life" of a citizen after they go halfway around the world and kill some innocent Iraqis, Afghanis or Iranians. Some dream. "

Pazook wrote on Oct 7, 2007 7:10 AM:

" Bring back the draft for ALL young Americans, with a choice of college, community service, or the military...with greater credit for military service, to help us back onto the same page , and then also include this type of service for citizenship. Maybe the common experiences, and equalized opportunities would help us to once again become the UNITED States. "

Ron wrote on Oct 7, 2007 7:42 AM:

" Here's an idea. Let them think this is a good idea, come out of the shadows, we can then deport them and they can join the military or go to school in their own country's. "

Mike wrote on Oct 7, 2007 8:04 AM:

" This is slow-motion amnesty. The message is: break our laws by coming here and working illegally, live here for years sucking up free services courtesy of the American taxpayer, get free college tuition and just spend two years in our military and you too will become a citizen. Meanwhile illegals are still incented to flock across the borders and our illustrious politicians can say that they've reduced illegal immigration. I get it: No one loses except the American taxpayer. "

Enough! wrote on Oct 7, 2007 8:19 AM:

" I am sick and tired of all the time, energy and funding targeted to helping illegal aliens. They are criminals for God's sake! Our elected officials need to start focusing on helping and assisting the lives of American Citizens. "

Vistulian wrote on Oct 7, 2007 8:27 AM:

" Anyone who is willing to fight for this country and risk hostile fire is entitled to become a citizen. Call it what you will, amnesty, whatever, this is an honorable solution. As for the lazy anti-war illegal activists who oppose any sacrifice to earn citizenship, they are beneath contempt. "

What? wrote on Oct 7, 2007 8:41 AM:

" No. Let's enforce current law for at least a decade befor we say they don't work. They haven't enforced them for 30 years. 21 years ago they passed comprehensive immigration reform. What it did was tell the people that if you can get here and stay for a decade we would give them citizenship. "

Willie wrote on Oct 7, 2007 8:43 AM:

" The Dream Act, along with revival of the draft, would be positive steps. We should extend military service to a broader segment of the population. Citizen soldiers have long been a moderating force in the professional military, which too often meddles in politics and civilian affairs. "

What? wrote on Oct 7, 2007 9:13 AM:

" No Dream Act for my US born kids? And you want to give away even more stuff to people who aren't supposed to be here? Haven't we already educated them in K-12 for free? "

Ron wrote on Oct 7, 2007 9:33 AM:

" I think one of the major problems is that Americans believe that these young promising students of the future will be taking their jobs and money. The DREAM Act would not be handing these students free money. It will provide students with loans and other options that the students will pay back overtime with a job. As far as American jobs are concerned, there are some who turn away from real immigration issues like cheap labor in the construction industry which thrives on illegal immigrants who may not have much experience. Most of these students have lived here for years without a criminal record. There needs to be some justice for these young people. "

Reardon wrote on Oct 7, 2007 9:36 AM:

" To Willie: Congratulations! Few people have been wrong on two counts in such a short Blog! As a 26 year Vet of an "elite service" I want the guy having my back to WANT to do it! Please note that no one is drafted as a pilot, submariner, Green Beret, Seal, Ranger, etc. Those services want people who want to be there, not someone who has a gun at his back, and all of our services should feel that way as well! As to the DREAM ACT, it should be called the CREAM ACT -- it creams the taxpayer on behalf of people who should not even want to be here! It is not, what is that word the Liberals use…â€

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast