Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Some immigrants are re-arrested 6 times

By LARA JAKES JORDAN, Associated Press Writer
    29 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Illegal immigrants who were caught but released in the United States may have been re-arrested as many as six times, Justice Department data released Monday indicate.

The findings by Justice Department Inspector General Glenn A. Fine are based on a sampling of 100 illegal immigrants arrested by local and state authorities in 2004, the latest complete data available. They show that 73 of the 100 immigrants were arrested, collectively, 429 times — ranging from traffic tickets to weapons and drug charges.

Fine's office said its audit could not conclude precisely how many of the 262,105 illegal immigrants charged with criminal histories that year had been re-arrested. "But if this data is indicative of the full population of 262,105 criminal histories, the rate at which released criminal aliens are re-arrested is extremely high," the audit noted.

The audit is required by Congress last year, and parts of it were redacted because of security reasons. It looked at how local and state authorities that receive Justice Department funding to help catch and detain illegal immigrants are working with the Homeland Security Department.

It also examined the arrest rates of immigrants who were released — usually because of insufficient jail space — before they could be turned over to Homeland Security's bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

In all, 752 cities, counties and states participating in the program received $287 million in 2005, the audit noted. Five states — California, New York, Texas, Florida and Arizona — received the bulk of the money, together pulling in more than $184 million.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff four months ago declared an end to the "catch and release" practice that for years helped many illegal immigrants stay in the United States unhindered.

At the time, the department was holding 99 percent of non-Mexican illegal immigrants in its custody until they could be returned to their home nations. The policy generally does not apply to Mexicans, who are almost immediately returned to Mexico after being stopped by Border Patrol agents.

The audit also looked at whether local and state authorities fully cooperated with Homeland Security efforts to remove illegal immigrants, and tried to determine how many had been released because of jail space or funding shortages. In both cases, Fine's office said it was unable to draw definitive conclusions.

It also found that at least one area — San Francisco — was receiving funding even though local policy specifically limits the information it gives to Homeland Security about immigration enforcement. San Francisco, which won $1.1 million, defines itself as a "city and county of refuge" and does not allow federal agents to view immigration jail records without permission from local police.

Assistant Attorney General Regina B. Schofield, who oversees the Office of Justice Programs, declined comment on the audit, noting it does not contain any recommendations.

The Justice Department audit can be found at: http://www.usdoj.gov/oig/reports/OJP/a0707/final.pdf

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070108/ap_ ... immigrants
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What ever happened to three strikes and you are out? Personally, I think one or two strikes are plenty.

You forget Neese, illegals are given all the chances in the world. Those rules only apply to persons legally residing in this country.

Returning someone safely back to their native country is hardly punishment. Our military need to stand at the border and MOD EDIT anyone who crosses it. I can guarantee that this will slow down or eliminate the problem. I am sick of these games.

The public version of the official DOJ report:

http://www.usdoj.gov/oig/reports/OJP/a0707/final.pdf
    [b][i][size=117]"Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die. Through love of having children, we are going to take over.â€

Found the same article here but thought I'd share comments coming in. Are people mad or what??? Of course they are!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/ ... 6241.shtml

discust with the illigal alien"?????

Well before anyone yells about my spelling, I must tell you that it was disgust, and illega.Must have been sleeping while I was typing that.

Posted by PeaceforUSA at 07:07 PM : Jan 08, 2007
    + report this comment
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We all need to go to the White House and profess our discust with the illigal alien situation. I wonder how the White House lawn would look with a few million US citizens and LEGAL immigrants on it???

Since I am sure they would not allow us to do that you can go to www.grassfire.org and let your voices be heard through petition signing, letter writing, and phone calls. It costs nothing unless you want to donate and these people are trying to solve the problem. With our help we can get it done.
    Posted by PeaceforUSA at 07:03 PM : Jan 08, 2007
    + report this comment
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Fine for first catch at the border.
    2. Double fine for second.
    3. Double again for third.
    etc.
    10. Tenth - mandatory prison time.

If they can't pay fine - trade oil from Mexico for oil.

Suggested prisons:
    1. GitMo
    2. Contract with Iraq to hold them.
    3. China still needs mine workers.

Until we get tough, the problem will not be lessened.

Last (or first) choice: Turn Califorina over to Mexico. That will save a lot of tax dollars.
    Posted by klmetz_cbs at 06:28 PM : Jan 08, 2007
    + report this comment

Maybe we should all move to Mexico and start fresh. It's cheaper and soon there won't be any natives left.
    Posted by olebd at 03:43 PM : Jan 08, 2007
    + report this comment

WHEN are the idiots in Washington going to listen up and pay attention?? You have got to be f....ing kidding me, 6 times! And who foots the bill?? I, like some others said, it is a down right shame our people can not get the same care or help. Something wrong with that picture? Dam right it is!

Posted by hambonehd at 03:30 PM : Jan 08, 2007
    + report this comment

My 48 year old friend lost his job at a Paper Mill in Detroit. The economy in Michigan is terrible. What frustrates me is that our Safety net system pays and supports illegals every day. The baby in New York that won that first baby contest was illegal, she won the 25,000 savings bond. She had that baby free, still she gets to keep the 25,000 while we pay for her health care to a tune of 10 to 15000 dollars. My friend had a mild stoke, was turned down for help because he failed the assets test. He lives in a 900 square foot house and drives a 1987 ford mustang, with 200,000 miles on it.
    Posted by ricoro at 03:25 PM : Jan 08, 2007
    + report this comment

I work in a small community hospital in a state not even near the border delivering babies. Even we are now seeing 2 to 3 women a WEEK coming up from Mexico to have their babies here in the United States. They get Medicaid and WIC, even though they are illegal, to pay for the baby. Meanwhile, I see American citizens who don't qualify for help paying their bill even though they don't have insurance. It makes me so frustrated.
    Posted by klosinski1 at 02:55 PM : Jan 08, 2007
    + report this comment

These people aren't even bound by the same laws that we are, they have more rights than we do. They don't even arrest them for minor crimes like drug posession or drunk driving etc etc, they catch and release them while americans pay outrageous fines, lose their license, and sit in jail for such things. It's illegal to arrest an illegal, it's freak ridiculous...
    Posted by bildooreilly at 02:51 PM : Jan 08, 2007
    + report this comment

I live in a no crime rural midwest area, small mainly farming town. Well seven miles up the road in an even smaller town I lived in for awhile one of these illegals murdered a 19 year old girl, stabbed her over 20 times in the face and upper body... I want to see these politicians who are catering to these illegals come tell her parents how much safer their daughter is since they let 30 million illegal invaders into our country... it's disgusting..
    Posted by bildooreilly at 02:49 PM : Jan 08, 2007
    + report this comment

I am suprised this report does not ask "for English click here, for Spanish click here".

If I go the hospital with no insurance and can not afford the bill, well there goes my credit. We should all be illegals. No credit problems. We can get a car, a home or apartment or just about anything we need, including I.D. no problem. Our life should be so simple.

For English press 1. For Spanish, go home.

I guess we have to get used to this because the rich like the mexicans here for their cheap labor force. They will work for nothing live thirty to a house and cant *** about it because they are here illegaly anyways. Hell I read sylvestor stalone likes them in the country. Why because they will take his whining at them about the yellow m&ms and they wont tell him to shove his job up his behind. He just doesnt have to live next to them ,and support them on welfare while they multiplie like rabbits.
    Posted by mo005 at 01:40 PM : Jan 08, 2007
    + report this comment

Illegal immigrants who were caught but released in the United States may have been re-arrested as many as six times,

This is costing us a fortune. Can the lawmakers not HEAR US. We are spending a fortune on Mexico citizens. GET THEM OUT OF HERE. Build the fence.
    Posted by bellaL at 01:17 PM : Jan 08, 2007
    + report this comment

So ashame that they are caught and released within the U.S. That is so very wrong.

How hard would it be to send them to a clearinghouse constructed on the border and then send them packing to their place of origin within a few days? A one way ticket would be cheaper than jail anyway.
    Posted by olebd at 01:07 PM : Jan 08, 2007
    + report this comment

They need to round them all up and send them packing south of the border
    Posted by ncolsens at 12:46 PM : Jan 08, 2007
    + report this comment

2 Just yesterday murdered a TN State Trooper . Shot him in the head . 24yr old young man been on force 2 years was 3 genration Trooper .
    Posted by FARTKNOCKER2 at 12:44 PM : Jan 08, 2007
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

At the time, the department was holding 99 percent of non-Mexican illegal immigrants in its custody until they could be returned to their home nations. The policy generally does not apply to Mexicans, who are almost immediately returned to Mexico after being stopped by Border Patrol agents.
    So if ICE is holding 99% OTM and Mexicans, "who are almost immediately returned to Mexico after being stopped by Border Patrol agents", who are these 400,000+ illegal aliens in NC?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)