Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Some speak mind on illegal immigration

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdail ... test.shtml

DAILY Photo by Emily Saunders
    Neal Banks with his wife, Norma, both of Decatur, and Ronnie Corbin, of Hartselle, at an anti-illegal-immigration protest in Decatur on Saturday.
    Some speak mind on illegal immigration
    By Ronnie Thomas
    DAILY Staff Writer
    rthomas@decaturdaily.com · 340-2438

Allen Hawkins let the handmade poster on the tailgate of his pickup do the talking Saturday as he drove from Arab to a "pro-citizenship" rally in Decatur.

The sign read: "Illegal aliens are not only destroying our S.S. system but they are stealing my grandchildren's right to the American Dream!"

Hawkins, 57, was commenting on the Social Security system. He had more to say after reaching the site at the old Dodge dealership on U.S. 31, where about 30 people had gathered at noon. American flags mounted on pickups fluttered in the mild breeze.

"Our country is being destroyed by our own government. Our borders are wide open," he said. "We let the illegals in here."

Hawkins continued, "If the good Lord takes me today, I've lived the American dream. Read my sign. Am I too selfish to want the same opportunity for my grandchildren? I don't think so."

Another band of about 50 supporters lined their flag-bearing vehicles along U.S. 31 in front of Gateway Shopping Center. Others drove motorcycles and pickups up and down the highway, between the two sites.

No one showed up to voice opposition. Decatur police said they had received no reports of any incidents by the time the rally ended at 3 p.m.

People came from several other towns, including Cullman, Vinemont, Moulton, Hartselle and Trinity, to support the rally, the brainchild of Ray Lawrimore, 44, of Falkville.

Lawrimore said that although he got the inspiration after attending a similar rally in Cullman three weeks ago, he has been involved in campaigning against illegals for two years.

"I'm tired of seeing them on television and laughing in our faces. What makes it worse is that our government and big business supports them," he said. "Every American knows that."

Lawrimore's wants

Lawrimore said he wants President Bush, during his speech on immigration Monday night, to "give amnesty to anyone who is illegal but who has been here at least five years. They need to show they pay taxes and have insurance. There should not be a double standard for Americans."

Lawrimore said he is upset that he cannot get Gov. Bob Riley's office to respond to his phone calls.

"I am asking Riley to press the federal government for state and local approval to conduct raids, weed out the illegals and send them back," he said. "I can get enough truck drivers to send 60,000 back in six months. If they give me a year, I can get them all back. I'm ticked off."

Others at the rally were, too. Delores Clark, 48, of Cullman carried a sign that read, "Close Our Borders."

She said she is not prejudiced against Hispanics.

"I just want them to be legal and go through the proper procedures to be in our country," she said.

Marlin Hawkins, 67, of Vinemont, Allen Hawkins' brother, walked around wearing front and back signs reading, "Amnesty No, Go South of the Alamo," and "Remember the Alamo."

Marlin Hawkins said he isn't happy with the media "because it seems like when we've approached them to put our story out there, they seem to turn it around and eliminate a lot of what we're saying the problem is."

He said the problem rests with government.

"We got to stop the illegals, but we've got politicians that are not supporting our laws. They're sitting up there and not taking a stand," he said. "They try to sit on the fence to get themselves back into office."

Kim Jordan, 45, of Moulton said, "The power of the pen is what's going to solve this. I'm urging everyone to spend 39 cents for a stamp and write their congressman. One letter, in (a congressman's) view, represents 10,000 people."

John Hartsfield, 62, of Decatur said he came to the rally "to stand up for America because it is being deplenished by our government, which is trying to give illegals amnesty. I don't have anything against legals one bit."

Hartsfield, too, wants to hear direct talk from Bush.

"I want to hear him say Monday he will close the border immediately," Hartsfield said.

He said he isn't as concerned about the northern border because "Canadians cannot infiltrate like the Mexicans."

Lewis Allison, 48, of Hartselle hauled his riding mower to the rally site and parked it in the median near the old dealership. He sat high in the seat while others, such as David Brown, 37, of Trinity, gathered around with lawn chairs.

"I live in this country. I don't depend on Hispanics to do anything for me," Allison said. "That is what this John Deere represents. I mow my own grass."

Nearby, Mike Garrie, 36, of Moulton wore a sign that read "Close the Border" on one side and "I will not speak Spanish" on the other.

Eric Rauch, 36, of Cullman stood alongside the highway in what was once the entrance to the dealership, waved a large American flag and signaled to motorists to give a blast on their horns to show support. Many responded, including some extended wails from 18-wheelers.

"We have to close the borders and secure them, which includes building a wall if they have to," he said.

Rauch said he will watch Bush's speech Monday with a lot of interest.

"If he says we need to send in the National Guard to secure the borders," Rauch said, "then I will agree with him."
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

Lawrimore said he wants President Bush, during his speech on immigration Monday night, to "give amnesty to anyone who is illegal but who has been here at least five years. They need to show they pay taxes and have insurance. There should not be a double standard for Americans."

It's too bad that he said this and the press reported it.

VIRGINIA............So glad you got positive press!!! You all make us proud
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Lewis Allison, 48, of Hartselle hauled his riding mower to the rally site and parked it in the median near the old dealership. He sat high in the seat while others, such as David Brown, 37, of Trinity, gathered around with lawn chairs.

"I live in this country. I don't depend on Hispanics to do anything for me," Allison said. "That is what this John Deere represents. I mow my own grass."

I agree Sis. I don't know if he meant it like that.
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson