Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

South Bay immigration arrest sparks outcry among community

South Bay immigration arrest sparks outcry among community
    By Banks Albach balbach@dailynewsgroup.com.
    MediaNews
    Article Launched: 10/15/2007 10:13:13 PM PDT

http://www.mercurynews.com

A South Bay community and religious activist detained last week by Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents who had come knocking on the door with an arrest warrant for someone else now faces possible deportation, sparking an outcry among friends and parishioners of a Mountain View church.

While staying with his goddaughter's mother on the 300 block of Green Lake Drive in Sunnyvale, 37-year-old Lucio Caciano Miranda was snared by the agents after opening the front door Wednesday morning. The agents were investigating another man who had most likely lived in the house before the current residents.

But after quizzing Miranda, a Santa Clara resident, about his immigration status, the agents handcuffed and transported him in an unmarked car first to San Francisco and later to jail in Yuba County, north of Sacramento.

Regardless of the name on the warrant, ICE agents are required while conducting their raids to arrest anyone found to be in the country illegally, ICE spokeswoman Lori Haley said.

The policy, and Miranda's resulting arrest, has angered his friends and fellow parishioners at St. Athanasius Church in Mountain View. Philip Crosby, a member of the church and a leader with Peninsula Interfaith Action, helped organize a rally Monday night for Miranda on the 100 block of North Rengstorff Avenue.

Last spring, Miranda completed a three-year program at the Diocese of San Jose's Institute for Leadership and Ministry. Crosby and

other friends said Miranda also has worked closely with young people, especially gang members, for about eight years through the group Youth for Christ.
    Crosby and others were also hoping to protest in front of Miranda's hearing today before an immigration judge in San Francisco. He is scheduled to appear at 9 a.m. Miranda does not appear to have a criminal record, said his lawyer, James Bennett.

With all due respect, I'm sure this man has been doing positive things in his community, unfortunately his community is made up of illegals just like him. They say he has no criminal record, but obviously if he's been here more than 4 years he's guilty of criminal trespass. The church shouldn't tell people to obey "only the laws they agree with." I don't see why getting deported is so bad for Mexicans, given it's much like the neighborhoods they live in here.

The church shouldn't tell people to obey "only the laws they agree with."
    This question was put to Cardinal Mahony during the debate on C-Span. He struggled to explain that God's law was a higher calling and they are allowed to disobey man's law when it is in conflict with God's law. Apparently, he is authorized to decide when that is appropriate.

He did now explain the source of his authority to be the 'decider.'

Banned

related storey:

Immigrant Church Worker Arrested
    Jeff Thomas of the San Jose Mercury News reports:

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com
    For now, Lucio Caciano is just relieved to be out of the Yuba City jail and back home in Sunnyvale. He's trying not to think too much about what could happen in the coming weeks, when his life could change as dramatically as it did 15 years ago when he walked across the border at Tijuana and entered the United States illegally.
    Caciano, 37, a much-loved youth program coordinator at St. Athanasius Catholic Church in Mountain View, was arrested by immigration agents last week when they knocked on his door. They were looking for someone who used to live at the house. They found Caciano instead.
    Now, out on a $5,000 bond raised by friends and supporters, Caciano faces a Nov. 1 hearing that could result in his deportation to Mexico.
    "I feel very happy right now," Caciano said Thursday, "because I am back home already. But I am worried about what could happen."
    Caciano's case has magnified the already divisive arguments about immigration reform. Those who know Caciano are outraged that such a hardworking, compassionate person, someone who mentors young adults and teens, and ministers to gang members, could be plucked from their midst. Click here for the rest of the story.

This is a very compelling story, but he came here illegally and now caught he needs to pay the penalties. Illegal is illegal.

What really gets me upset is the role our churches are playing. A law is a law and if it is broken, so be it! I am sure the church follows the Ten Commandments. These are laws. What is the difference? Can someone give me an honest answer to this question?

Cakers, there is a sad answer to why this church is standing up for him. Many churches today are being led away from God's truth (by the evil one), and issues are getting twisted to fit what the people want. Just look at some of the churches that hang a rainbow flag outside their buildings. And it has nothing to do with God's promise to Noah. Churches and people like to pick and choose the parts of God's laws that want to obey, and disregard important ones. The Bible teaches that we need to be discerning, and this is becoming more difficult these days. There are plenty of false teachers and doctrines out there. As a Christian, I am upset that this illegal is using the church for his own agenda and that the church members are allowing it. We need to obey the laws of the land as well as God's laws.

Well he finished his 3 years of study so shouldn't he be able to do alot of good in Mexico, I hear they have alot of problems down there!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)