Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The South Deals With Immigration

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

The South Deals With Immigration

The South Deals With Immigration

By Elizabeth Llorente
    Published June 10, 2012
    Fox News Latino

Atlanta, GA. – The South – where discussions about race and ethnic relations long focused primarily on blacks and whites – now has become the battleground on immigration.

It is in the South where the nation’s most controversial state-level immigration laws have been passed and kicked into high gear the perennial national debate over what to do with the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants living in the United States.

Arizona, Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, South Carolina and Utah have enacted laws aimed at cracking down on illegal immigration. The U.S. Supreme Court has heard arguments on Arizona's controversial 2010 immigration law – which criminalizes being in the country unlawfully, and set the stage for other states to consider passing their own immigration measures – and is expected to rule by the end of June.

The court is determining whether Arizona's attempt to fix its border problems is trumped by federal law.

So on Monday, conservatives and liberals, Democrats and Republicans, political leaders, police and business owners are scheduled to gather in Atlanta for what organizers are billing as the “first-ever Southeast summit on immigration.”

Though the participants and speakers hold diverse perspectives on many issues, they apparently support a reform of U.S. immigration policy that would include a way for certain undocumented immigrants to legalize their status.

A statement by the National Immigration Forum, which is organizing the summit, said a mission of the gathering is “to develop a common understanding of the value of immigrants and immigration to the Southeast and to the country as a whole, and to renew calls for federal action.”

The summit topics will cover such things as the role that immigrants play in the Southeast economy, and their importance to the future of certain industries, and the impact of the deputizing of local police as immigration agents on the relations between police and immigrant communities.

Speakers at the summit are to include Republicans such as former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, who served under President George W. Bush, Jeb Bush Jr., the son of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff, who hosted a similar summit in Utah last year, and Paul Bridges, mayor of the Georgia town of Uvalda, who joined a lawsuit against Georgia’s law aimed at cracking down on undocumented immigrants.

Other speakers scheduled at the one-day summit include Larry Wooten, president of the North Carolina Farm Bureau, Archbishop Thomas Wenski of Miami and Karen Bremer, director of the Georgia Restaurant Association.

A federal judge has put parts of Georgia’s law on hold, including provisions allowing police to check the immigration status of people without proper identification. But other aspects of the law went into effect this summer, such as making it a felony in Georgia to use false information or documentation when applying for a job.

Bridges says that migrant workers have rapidly disappeared in the state. When the state laws are coupled with federal immigration programs such as Secure Communities that have increased the number of deportations, legal and illegal immigrants are reluctant to work, he says.

“Some of the workers don’t have legal documents and some of them do. But the enforcement-only laws scare all of them,” Bridges said. “Someone here legally doesn’t want to work in a field or ride in a van with somebody illegal, because it could force them to defend themselves in court” if they’re lumped in with the undocumented workers.

Proponents of state anti-illegal immigration laws say the failure of Congress and the White House to crack down on people who enter and stay in the country illegally forces local officials to take matters into their own hands.

They reject claims that certain industries would be doomed without immigrant workers because Americans won’t do some jobs.

“They’re using immigration as a political football,” said Dan Stein, who heads the Federation for American Immigration Reform, or FAIR, a Washington D.C.-based group that favors strict immigration enforcement. “They’re insulting the middle class and the poor in this country by saying Americans aren’t good enough to do jobs in this country – from engineering to harvesting fruit to waiting on tables.”

The impact of new laws has been immediately evident in Georgia, where the agricultural industry estimates it has lost at least $300 million and as much as $1 billion since laws targeting illegal immigrants were passed earlier this year.

In Alabama, whose immigration law is termed the strictest in the nation, the impact of the measure is expected to be between $2.3 billion and $10.8 billion in annual gross domestic product on the assumption that some 60,000 undocumented workers would leave the state.

In Idaho, lawmakers have backed away from passing their own immigration laws, in part because of the potential impact on the state’s agricultural businesses. That is preferable to passing laws that are not “well thought out,” said Brent Olmstead, a lobbyist for the Idaho Business Coalition on Immigration Reform.

Many summit participants support an approach to immigration such as that taken through a package of bills passed in Utah that included an enforcement law modeled on Arizona’s but balanced by a program that will allow undocumented immigrants to work and pay taxes in Utah if they register with the state.

The law does not protect them from federal prosecution; the state is looking for a federal solution before the law goes into effect in 2013. Federal law prohibits employers from hiring undocumented immigrants.

The Utah guest worker program was a key component of the Utah Compact, an initiative pushed as a more compassionate way to handle immigration.

The South Deals With Immigration | Fox News Latino
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They need to ask the American people what THEY want done. I am tired of lawmakers making these important decisions without OUR VOICES BEING HEARD. We elected them to do our our will not theres. Diane Finestien seems to think SHE knows best. I had written her a letter and her response was what I want, what I think, but thanks for your letter anyway. I told her that her feelings and thoughts didn't count. What the American people want is what matters and we want illegals out of our country.

Arizona's controversial 2010 immigration law
    If I didn't know better, I would think that the actual name of this law is
    "Arizona's Controversial Immigration Law" Just as Alabama's is the "The Alabama Controversial Immigration Law". This must be name that has been agreed on by the MSM. Regardless, they are wearing that one out.

So on Monday, conservatives and liberals, Democrats and Republicans, political leaders, police and business owners are scheduled to gather in Atlanta for what organizers are billing as the “first-ever Southeast summit on immigration.”
    Speakers at the summit are to include Republicans such as former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, who served under President George W. Bush, Jeb Bush Jr., the son of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff, who hosted a similar summit in Utah last year, and Paul Bridges, mayor of the Georgia town of Uvalda, who joined a lawsuit against Georgia’s law aimed at cracking down on undocumented immigrants.
    Other speakers scheduled at the one-day summit include Larry Wooten, president of the North Carolina Farm Bureau, Archbishop Thomas Wenski of Miami and Karen Bremer, director of the Georgia Restaurant Association.
    To me, this looks like a meeting of the Amnesty Club.

BTW, the farm losses quoted in this article are "estimated" or "anticipated" losses., no loss has been proven.

Between the Land bank(being paid NOT to plant certain crops) and working illegals for slave wages on the crops they do plant, a lot of big farmers have gotten bigger. JMO
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

There are numerous federal programs that would allow farmers and other employers to use foreign labor, however those plans require them to provide benefits that they need not provide to illegals. The only issue for farmers is the difference in pay scale.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

There are numerous federal programs that would allow farmers and other employers to use foreign labor, however those plans require them to provide benefits that they need not provide to illegals. The only issue for farmers is the difference in pay scale.
    And that pay scale will cut their profits.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by agrneydgrl View Post
    They need to ask the American people what THEY want done. I am tired of lawmakers making these important decisions without OUR VOICES BEING HEARD. We elected them to do our our will not theres. Diane Finestien seems to think SHE knows best. I had written her a letter and her response was what I want, what I think, but thanks for your letter anyway. I told her that her feelings and thoughts didn't count. What the American people want is what matters and we want illegals out of our country.

I've pretty much given up on Fienstien (and Boxer for that matter). Both of them are like talking to a wall and I have no idea why these two arrogant wenches continue to get re-elected. I can hardly stand to look at them.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)