While crossing the Canadian border into Canada in the middle of the night somewhere east of Vancouver on the way to beautiful Banff, my friend and I were interrogated by Canadian customs. At the end of the interview the female border agent said something along the lines of "Spanish is the official second language in the United States, isn't it?" My travelling companion, normally a very liberal technophile, without skipping a beat, said, "Some people would like to think so." The agent was really surprised, and I reminded her that we have immigrants from many countries, so English is the only official language. I was so proud of my friend for speaking up.

As for the snipers coming from Mexico, that doesn't surprise me at all. As an English as a second language instructor of adults from Mexico and Central America, I hear often from my young male students that they'd never give up their Mexican citizenship, but see nothing wrong with fathering many babies who are delivered at taxpapyer expense. Many of them are nice guys, but there definitely is a trend in their lack of respect for the U.S. that doesn't exist among my older Mexican and Central American students. Out country is in trouble if we don't get a handle on this really soon. Organizations like ALIPAC are very valuable- keep up the good work!

Sincerely,
Meredith
Once a liberal Democrat