Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

SPLC,Latino immigration most significant civil rights issue

SPLC attorney calls Latino immigration most significant civil rights issue
    Immigration is most significant issue, attorney says
    By James D. Davis | Religion Editor
    March 9, 2009

Today's big issue, according to a veteran of civil rights wars: Latino immigrants.

"Latinos are the sharecroppers of the 21st century," said Morris Dees, co-founder and chief trial attorney of the Southern Poverty Law Center, who will speak Wednesday in Fort Lauderdale Is your Fort Lauderdale restaurant clean? - Click Here.. "The immigrant movement is probably the most significant civil rights issue."

Dees, 72, has helped combatgroups such as the Aryan Nations and the United Klans of America. His talk at All Saints Episcopal Church will deal with the effects of Barack Obama's presidency.

But immigrants from Spanish-speaking countries are suffering the same discrimination, he said from his headquarters in Montgomery, Ala.

"Whether it's homes or health care or insurance, a lot of [discrimination]has nothing to do with race," Dees said. "It has to do with ... sharing the resources of the country.

"We need to build bridges across class, race, color, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, religion."

Dees pointed to the recent presidential election as both a positive and negative sign. He suggested that many Americans quietly share the stated hope of commentator Rush Limbaugh that Obama will fail as president.

"Obama was handed two wars and the collapse of the banking system, and people are already asking why hasn't he changed things," Dees said. "I think it's from systemic prejudice."

The views may be controversial, but Dees has earned the right to them. Since 1971, the Southern Poverty Law Center has sued numerous Klansmen, neo-Nazis, white nationalists, skinheads and others on behalf of victims. The resulting court judgments have sometimes forced hate groups to give up their headquarters, as the Aryan Nations did in 2001.

Dees and his organization have fought for Latinos as well. In November, the center won a $2.5 million judgment against the Imperial Klans of America in the beating of a teen of Panamanian descent. The center has created the Immigrant Justice Project to fight workplace abuse and Esperanza to target sexual harassment of female immigrant workers.

The growth of hate groups isn't one of the positive signs: On Feb. 26, the center released a study that counted 926 in 2008, up from 888 the previous year and 602 in 2000.

Still, Dees remains an optimist. "I believe in the big sweep of history. Society has clearly moved forward with human and civil rights."

James D. Davis can be reached at jdavis @SunSentinel.com or 954-356-4730.

If you go
    What: Speech by Morris Dees, co-founder and chief trial attorney of Southern Poverty Law Center

When: 7 p.m. Wednesday

Where: All Saints Episcopal Church, 333 Tarpon Drive, Fort Lauderdale

Cost: Free

Information: 954-467-6496 or allsaintsfl. org

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/ ... ?track=rss
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Morris Dees is clamoring for donations. The SPLC hasn't done a thing for the people of the United States.

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/grou ... grpid=6989

"In 1996, USA Today called SPLC, with its $68 million in assets, "the nation's richest civil rights organization." By the end of fiscal year 2003, SPLC's endowment totaled $120.6 million. Morris Dees raised eyebrows in the 1990s when he told an interviewer, "I learned everything I know about hustling from the Baptist Church. Spending Sundays on those hard benches listening to the preacher pitch salvation -- why, it was like getting a Ph.D. in selling."

"In 1995, Alabama's Montgomery Advertiser published a series of investigative reports that raised serious questions about SPLC's finances. In one instance mentioned by the paper, SPLC won a celebrated $7 million settlement after suing a Ku Klux Klan organization in Alabama. The Klan was without assets and the SPLC client received very little from the suit. By contrast, SPLC directors -- having garnered $9 million in donations in a two-year fundraising campaign for the trial -- afforded themselves salaries of $350,000 for the trial's duration.

"A 1998 survey conducted by the nonpartisan publication National Journal showed that Morris Dees earned tens of thousands of dollars more each year than the officers of 78 other selected advocacy groups, including the heads of such prominent organizations as the ACLU, the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, and the Children's Defense Fund. After SPLC took in more than $44 million in revenues in 1999, The Nation magazine lambasted the Center for spending nearly $6 million on fundraising activities but only $2.4 million on litigation.

"Between 2001 and 2004, SPLC was the recipient of 59 foundation grants totaling $3,326,425. The donors included: the Arcus Foundation; the Baltimore Community Foundation; the Cisco Systems Foundation; the Cleveland Foundation, the Naomi and Nehemiah Cohen Foundation; the Columbus Foundation and Affiliated Organizations; the Community Foundation for Southeastern Michigan; the Community Foundation for the National Capital Region; Community Foundation (Silicon Valley); the Cushman Family Foundation; the Dibner Fund; the Joseph and Bessie Feinberg Foundation; the Ford Foundation; the Edward and Verna Gerbic Family Foundation; the Jackson and Irene Golden 1989 Charitable Trust; the Lisa and Douglas Goldman Fund; the Grove Foundation; the J.M. Kaplan Fund; the J.P Morgan Chase Foundation; the Kaplen Foundation; the Open Society Institute; the Albert Parvin Foundation; the Picower Foundation; the Jay Pritzker Foundation; the Louis and Harold Price Foundation; the Public Welfare Foundation; the Raine and Stanley Silverstein Family Foundation; the Spiegel Foundation; the State Street Foundation; the Steinberg Charitable Trust; and the Vanguard Public Foundation."
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Read the comments after the article. There are people who are talking about a rally in front of La Raza's office in Miami to protest their stand on illegal immigration. I have been reading about all the outrage by people in South Florida but to get to this is surprising. I am all for it. The comments in the Miami Herald many times are even more vocal about deporting illegals than the Sun Sentinel. With the increase in job losses, the gangs, people getting into accidents with illegals who have no license or insurance, the hit and run accidents which we get an average of 2 pedestrains killed a week, and little English spoken people have had enough.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"We need to build bridges across class, race, color, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, religion."

And citizenship and democratically derived immigration law too apparently.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think they prefer building better tunnels to bypass the law instead of bridges with a customs office on both ends of it.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Ok...anyone who thinks this guy is in it for the good of the "community" and not for the big, fat paycheck, "wave ya hand and hollah"!! No one? That's what I thought.

The views may be controversial, but Dees has earned the right to them. Since 1971, the Southern Poverty Law Center has sued numerous Klansmen, neo-Nazis, white nationalists, skinheads and others on behalf of victims
    I feel this statement is PREJUDICIAL! I find it as being arrogant and one sided. Racial Profiling!

So all HATE GROUPS ARE WHITE PEOPLE??????? That is what I get out of it. That is EXACTLY what is mentioned in this article! So how do you like those apples? Tables are turned! So where is my justice?
    The immigrant movement is probably the most significant civil rights issue."
    This is NOT a case of CIVIL RIGHTS!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

They didn't print my reply. I pointed out Dees is an anti-American bigot.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)