Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Stars and Straights Forever! Gay Immigration Movie Launches

Items featuring the Statue of Liberty in handcuffs are up for sale in a roundabout same-sex marriage plea by indie flick, Maple Palm; an expose into hardships faced by same-sex bi-national couples in need of immigration reform. A not so subtle metaphor for the chains binding bi-national couples, and the freedoms lacking in the U.S. for all same-sex couples.

(PRWEB) January 5, 2006 -- In a roundabout same-sex marriage plea, indie flick, Maple Palm, exposes hardships faced by same-sex bi-national couples in need of immigration reform. In an effort to support the cause, the film's website launched an on-line store with products inspired by the film's controversial poster featuring the Statue of Liberty in handcuffs and the caption "Stars and Straights Forever!" A not so subtle metaphor for the chains binding bi-national couples, and the freedoms lacking in the U.S. for all same-sex couples.

"The line actually comes straight from the film" says producer and cast member, Robert J. Feldman. "It's a powerful moment where one of the lead characters questions this country's failure to provide freedom and equality for all Americans. Questions every gay and lesbian American should confront their friends, families and co-workers with; God Bless America...Except the fags! -- is another favorite. Point being, the U.S. isn’t the freest country on Earth if you’re gay."

Maple Palm is the story of Nicole and Amy, a lesbian couple living with the secret that one is an illegal alien. After an innocent visit to the Statue of Liberty, the girls return home, unaware that this icon of freedom, was about to strip them of their own.

Turning treasured icons and national slogans into political exclamations via intense drama seems to be the method used by Maple Palm to deliver its powerful message. And while Feldman admits creating merchandising like caps, pins and pens for a film of such political significance feels strange, he's quick to point out that Maple Palm was funded entirely out of pocket by filmmakers devoted to helping make a change for tens of thousands of same-sex bi-national Americans crushed by current immigration policy.

"It's Hollywood. Everyone needs a cause" states Feldman with light sarcasm. But he insists the motivation behind the effort is genuine. "We're seriously considering self-releasing since that may be the only way to assure the film and same-sex immigration get the exposure they need. And if trite merchandising can help us achieve that goal, then so be it. We don't have a powerhouse publicity campaign behind us like Brokeback Mountain. This is a grassroots effort."

Feldman promises Maple Palm pulls no punches in its brutal depiction of the harsh circumstances faced by same-sex bi-national couples. Sixteen countries recognize same-sex couples for the purpose of immigration, and a bill which seeks to do the same in the U.S. (the Uniting American Families Act) was recently introduced to Congress and Senate by Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) and Patrick Leahy (D-VT.)

Maple Palm is set to hit the 2006 film festival circuit around the country in the coming months, with a limited theatrical release later in the year.

For more info on the film, visit: www.MaplePalmMovie.com.

To browse the online store, visit: www.maplepalmmovie.com/store.htm

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/1/prweb328515.htm
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

NO COMMENT!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

I'am so confused . Is the Statue of Liberty doing a stint in a gay S& M movie?

Perhaps they should call the move "Broke Back Border?"

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm confused too! Just let's say that whatever two CONSENTING ADULTS choose to do in the privacy of their own bedroom is okay as long as - as the Victorian's used to say - you don't scare the horses on the street. Or, at least this is what I've read in some Miss Manner's (aka Judith Martin) columns.

To each his or her own but some factions of society are trying to force their views (the gay view) onto main stream America. Live and live I say but they need to put a lid on it since they are not the majority. It's okay to express your view and lifestyle but if these don't represent the majority opinion - well, let it rest, please.

Someone else brought this topic up - not me - so let me say that although I don't hold a standing view of opinion on gays or lesbians nor their marital plans, marriage as it is traditionally known has already been destroyed and years ago before the mention of "GAY" marriage by liberal no-fault divorce laws and numerous examples of infidelity among hetersexuals. Therefore, no gay marriage could possibly do more harm to traditional marriage than has already happened. Just ask any divorcee that didn't ask for the divorce (at least 80% of divorces are not a mutual decision; higher percentage of NOT MUTUAL when there are children of the marriage).

Now, this doesn't have anything or much to do with illegal immigration except what the original article here mentioned, but I didn't bring the topic up myself for discussion. But, since it was brought up, this is one of my other areas of major concern on how modern society sucks and is wrong (not same sex marriage per se but the very high heterosexual divorce rates and rates for remarriages).
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me