Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Stars and Stripes considered Graffiti by California

This story not only speaks to what's PC here and what's not, it also speaks to just how, with a budget crisis going on, billions in debt, the state has time and money for this kind of stupid stuff.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/24117983/detail.html

I am completely convinced that some 'Mexifornian' Cal-tran employees are behind this. Come on... 8+ years later and on the eve of July 4?

I am sure that the folks that pulled this one off went home that night uncorked a coupla Cerveza , and had a good laugh at our expense.
    No amnesty until the border is secured... then no amnesty.

Thank you for posting but please post the entire story as some members do not want to click on a source link.
    Read about this in our local paper this morning but put in a way that the Governator apologized for what happened. Unbelievable how a painting of the American flag was labeled as graffiti.
    ~~~

Freeway Flag UPDATE: Governor Criticizes Removal
    Posted: 10:05 pm PDT July 1, 2010
    Updated: 5:30 pm PDT July 2, 2010

SUNOL, CAlif. -- UPDATE: Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said Friday that he was unhappy that the California Department of Transportation has painted over a mural of an American flag on a concrete slab near the Sunol Grade section of Interstate Highway 680 in unincorporated Alameda County near Sunol.

In a prepared statement, Schwarzenegger called the flag patriotic and meaningful.

He said that to remove the flag, "only a few days before we celebrate our independence and reflect on the freedoms we are lucky enough to enjoy in America is unconscionable. I extend my apologies to the artists whose mural inspired drivers along 680 for over eight and a half years."

Schwarzenegger spokeswoman Andrea McCarthy said the state Business, Transportation and Housing Agency, which oversees Caltrans, "will work with the community and the artists to try to reach a resolution."

Interstate 680, in and out of the Silicon Valley, is one of the bay area's busiest freeways. And everyday for the last eight and half years there was a hillside mural motorists passed on the Sunol grade.

"It just made me feel really patriotic, just seeing it everyday," said motorcyclist Dave Freely.

Until Wednesday, motorists saw a 35 foot mural of the American flag painted on a concrete retaining wall.

On Thursday, it was just gray concrete painted over by Caltrans.

"It was put on the list for graffiti removal and yesterday morning they painted over it with grey concrete paint," said Allyn Amsk of Caltrans.

"It should not be classified as graffiti. I mean it was a well done flag and and I felt like it's part of America," objected the flag muralist Eric Noda.

About a week after 9-11. Eric Noda was photographed roller painting the flag mural. It took him three hours to finish.

He and friends R.J. Waldron and Thomas Hanley picked the spot to express their patriotism after the terrorist attack.

"It's kind of a landmark for me and it reminds me of that day and the time in the wake of 9-11," said Noda.

But why did Caltrans wait so long to remove the flag?

"Maintenance wasn't aware that it was on the state right-of-way or you know it would have been removed sometime in the past," said Amsk.

Regular 680 commuters said they were upset.

"I don't know why they would consider it graffiti. We live in America. It should be a patriotic symbol that everybody should enjoy," said Joseph Gross of Tri-Valley Towing.

Sandy Kraft said, "I drive this every day and to not see it up there waving at me, even though it doesn't wave, it's still waving at you."

The flag muralists say they plan to approach Caltrans for permission to repaint the flag in time for the tenth anniversary of the terrorist attacks.

A Caltrans spokesman said they can apply through proper procedures for what they call transportation art.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn