Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

State Immigration Amnesty Opponents Pleased With Support

State Immigration Amnesty Opponents Pleased With Support

By: Joe Murray, The Bulletin
    11/07/2007

With two major victories under its belt and growing support in national polls, proponents of amnesty-free immigration reform have witnessed a political renaissance in which their once decried xenophobic views are now being welcomed into the mainstream.

This newfound political muscle has crippled switchboards, dampened presidential ambitions and created a movement that can no longer be relegated to the fringe.

"This momentum has been sustained by the citizenry," said state Rep. Daryl Metcalfe (R-Butler). Mr. Metcalfe is Harrisburg's most vocal immigration critic, and he asserts recent defeats of amnesty legislation in the nation's capital have resulted in many Pennsylvania lawmakers re-evaluating their position on illegal immigration.

"In Harrisburg, more and more of my colleagues are getting on the immigration bandwagon," explained Mr. Metcalfe. Such a second look, suggested the immigration reform advocate, stems from the Senate's defeat of two key amnesty bills.

Earlier this year, the Senate underwent several weeks of heated debate in which key lawmakers, including U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.), vigorously fought for the passage of the Kennedy-McCain-Bush immigration bill, a bill granting legal status to the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the nation. The bill was soundly defeated.

The strength of the immigration reform movement was demonstrated, once again, when the DREAM Act was defeated despite an attempt to rush debate and a vote, thus minimizing the amount of time opponents had to mobilize.

"It should not be surprising that the voice of the people has been successful," Mr. Metcalfe said. Such national stories provides the state lawmaker hope his immigration reform package, named National Security Begins at Home, will be able to leap the hurdles opposing lawmakers have placed before it.

Under his legislative package, Pennsylvania would require mandatory employer enrollment in a Social Security verification program, permit state and local law enforcement to assist federal authorities in enforcing immigration laws, create a data base of illegal aliens, terminate professional licenses of those who hire illegal aliens and stop funding public benefits for illegal aliens.

"There is still a lot of resistance to the package," reported Mr. Metcalfe. While some state lawmakers are trying to rehabilitate their image on the immigration issue, Mr. Metcalfe warned voters need to be aware that what people say is not as important as what they do, or in this case, how they vote.

"We have to be mindful that while some may be vocally supportive in public, they are more than willing to undermine the movement behind closed doors," he said.

http://www.thebulletin.us/site/news.cfm ... 6361&rfi=6
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"We have to be mindful that while some may be vocally supportive in public, they are more than willing to undermine the movement behind closed doors," he said.
    LET THIS BE A WARNING!! There are wolves in sheeps clothing out there, don't let them fool you, then hold them to their word if they get elected or recall!!

If you don't have a recall law, it is time for it to be put on the next ballot!!

If your state does not have a recall law for your U.S. Congress ( not all states do) it is time to get it done, so in the future you have something to fight these people with and don't have to tolerate their lies for years!

We recall a few and they will be alittle more careful about changeing their mind once they are in office and do what ever they want! HOLD THEIR FEET TO THE FIRE!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

SoSad Absolutely, there are a lot who have suddenly become 'enlightened'. They have become enlightened to the fact they might loose their cushy positions. They will say and do anything to keep it.

Yes, some voted our way - but we have to realize they have been up there a very long time and they could, and should, have done something about this a long time ago.

Very few are taking steps to actually do anything about it.

The idea of a fence is a smokescreen. Yes, a fence would be good, but until interior enforcement is done, a fence is a joke. They are planning on putting 70 miles of fence along the Texas border.

That's a joke and an insult. It's like sticking a broomstick in the ground.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yes and we must remember, right now they are bideing their time, if they can get through the next election, they will push amnesty through right after, I guarantee you they will, because in their minds they will have four years for us to forgive and forget!

We must see to it that people are reminded of every person up for re-election who voted for amnesty, they have to go no matter what!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

I'm going by how they voted in the past. I'm from Missouri now, the "show me state." If they get the fence built, I vote for them, if they don't, I don't. Words no longer work for me. They lie. If their lips are moving, they lie. They voted for the millions for border security in the Graham amendment like 95-1 or something like that, then the Dems took it out in conference. NO DEM will get my vote. I want action I don't want anymore words. PERIOD.

bttt

As far as PA goes, Specter is done. He's been in way too long and is pissing off ALOT of people with his pandering to illegals.
    "

Gogo

Without interior enforcement, the fence will do nothing - less than nothing.

It is smoke a mirrors to keep us focused on the fence while they do nothing until after election.

The fence can't be built before election - it just can't - and what they have proposed is just assinine.

Once again, look at the Texas border, how long do you think it will take to build a fence there. Now Texas does have some desert for sure, but there are many, many miles of land along the Texas border that is not desert and people can cross. They can't fence it all.

If they can wait until after this election and keep us focused on fences and not on enforcing the law, they are in. By next election, I think the majority of voting will be electronic - that means totally controlled outcome - and illegals will be legal and not only be allowed to vote, but run for elections - and be elected.

Any control we have will just be a memory then.[/b]

You need to check out the SAVE ACT. That will do something. If I follow your scenario we shouldn't have fences around our prisons. Doesn't make sense.