Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

IN State senator to introduce immigration bill

Updated: Jan 19, 2009 05:40 PM EST

Video Gallery <1>

Immigration bill 2:23

Senator Mike Delph

Wilson Reyes

Kevin Rader/Eyewitness News

Indianapolis - An Indiana lawmaker is introducing what he calls the toughest immigration bill in the country.

Illegal immigration has been a controversial issue at the Indiana Statehouse for the last couple of years, drawing heated debate in both chambers from both sides of the issue. Senator Mike Delph from Carmel will make it a third year by filing Senate Bill 580. The bill is designed to punish those who harbor, transport or employ illegal immigrants in Indiana.

But it does have a "safe harbor" provision for businesses who verify work status of employees by using the federal e-verify system that confirms citizenship.

"If you use it, you have immunity from any kind of adjudication or prosecution from this proposal," Delph said.

Under the bill, businesses that employ illegals face three years probation. Second time violators face a 10-day suspension of their business license and third time violators face the permanent loss of their business license in the state.

While the future of the bill may be clouded, it does have a hearing set for February 4 in the Senate's Pension and Labor Committee.

"You can't say we are a melting pot in the U.S.A. and then single some people out," said Wilson Reyes, the current president of the Indiana State Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.

Reyes, who hosts an afternoon radio talk show on WEDJ in Indianapolis, sees it differently.

"If you write a bill saying an illegal is illegal, yes, absolutely. We totally stand on that. The Indiana State Chamber of Commerce is totally behind that," he said. "Doing anything illegal is wrong, but this is a federal issue and it should stay with the federal government."

"We need to follow the letter and rule of law and right now, the rule of law says those that are in the country illegally need to return to their home country and then file the paperwork to come in the legal way," Delph said.

4 votes

You must be logged in to rate this story. Login or register
    Comments
    Terms of Use: We welcome your participation in our community. Please keep your comments civil and on point. You must be at least 13 years of age to post comments. By submitting a comment, you agree to these Terms of Service
    You must be logged in to leave a comment. Login or register
    http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=9698200&nav=9Tai

General Assembly Will Again Tackle Illegal Immigration

Senate bill would crack down on fake ID, punish employers who hire illegals
    By Eric Berman
    1/19/2009

Legislators will again try to crack down on Hoosier businesses that hire illegal immigrants.

The House and Senate each passed bills last year that would revoke the licenses of businesses repeatedly caught with illegals on the payroll. But legislators were unable to agree on a final version.

Carmel Senator Mike Delph has modified the bill this year, giving administrative law judges more discretion to decide violators' penalties. A third offense could still put a company out of business, but businesses would face increased reporting requirements for a first violation. Licenses could be suspended on a second offense, but for no more than 10 days.

The bill also drops an attempt to codify state-federal agreements on how to handle illegal aliens in custody. Delph says police agencies believed there were insurmountable logistical hurdles.

He says he hopes deleting that section will ease opponents' fears that the bill could lead to racial profiling by police.

Delph argues the state's budget crunch underlines the need for the bill. He says the cost of social services to illegal aliens puts additional pressure on the state's resources, and says he's doubtful the Obama administration will do any better at enforcing immigration laws than the Bush administration.

A study committee last summer failed to reach agreement on recommendations, but Delph says it did produce some new provisions increasing the penalties for driving without a license or attempting to forge one.

The Senate Pensions and Labor Committee has scheduled a hearing for next month. Delph says he's confident the bill will pass the Senate. He's not predicting its chances in the House.

http://www.wibc.com/News/Story.aspx?ID=104305

"If you write a bill saying an illegal is illegal, yes, absolutely. We totally stand on that. The Indiana State Chamber of Commerce is totally behind that," he said. "Doing anything illegal is wrong, but this is a federal issue and it should stay with the federal government."
    What????? LOL

Looks like I need to contact some of my local groups, I should have had an email on this by now.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by cayla99
    What????? LOL

Looks like I need to contact some of my local groups, I should have had an email on this by now.
    What idiots....they have to write a bill saying illegal is illegal before it's considered illegal...again? For sure this time?

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticMe
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla99
    What????? LOL

What idiots....they have to write a bill saying illegal is illegal before it's considered illegal...again? For sure this time?
    Delph is one of the best elected officials I have ever seen. He is as relentless on getting tough immigration legislation passed as California's "One bill Gil" is at trying to get drivers licenses for illegals. I think it would be great if people would send him a few kudos.

http://www.in.gov/cgi-bin/legislative/c ... contact.pl
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)