Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

In-state tuition bill misses key N.C. legislative deadline

In-state tuition bill misses key N.C. legislative deadline

By GARY D. ROBERTSON
    Associated Press Writer

The General Assembly's crossover deadline served to extract what is likely the last breath from a bill that would have allowed the children of some illegal immigrants to receive in-state tuition at public universities.

The self-imposed cutoff by legislators to sift out measures that don't have the support to pass at least one chamber came and went last week with no movement on the bill - potentially delaying a vote on similar legislation until at least 2007.

"I think there's been a real education about a lot of lawmakers about where the public sat on these type of issues," William Gheen, president of bill opponent Americans for Legal Immigration, said Monday. He attributed the bill's defeat to "mass public opposition."

Gheen and those on both sides of the issue said Monday they intend to keep educating the public and legislators about the estimated 300,000 illegal immigrants who live in North Carolina. Many of them came to the state from Mexico.

"I don't think anybody is suggesting that we could round them all up and send them away," Chris Fitzsimon, director of the liberal-leaning NC Policy Watch, said Monday. "They're going to be here."

The measure would have given in-state tuition for University of North Carolina and community college campuses to students who attend North Carolina high schools for at least four consecutive years before graduation. The teenagers also would have to apply for legal immigration status to receive the resident rate.

The legislation elicited an outcry from opponents on talk radio stations and the Internet almost as soon as it was filed in April.

At least nine lawmakers of the 35 sponsors and co-sponsors of the measure pulled their names soon after, despite support from former Gov. Jim Hunt. An Elon University poll found apparent support for the proposal. Opponents pointed to surveys to the contrary.

Gheen and many of his allies contend the bill is an invitation for illegal immigrants to move to North Carolina, whose resources are already being stretched. His group plans to start running radio ads Tuesday pushing for another bill that would deny permanent public assistance benefits to illegal immigrants.

Although it's possible the measure could be exempted from the deadline - because it could "substantially" affect the state budget - or be inserted into another bill, Latino advocates announced they have given up on the legislation's passage.

Groups such as El Pueblo and the North Carolina Society of Hispanic Professionals said in a news release that they "are disappointed but not discouraged. We stand firm in our commitment to ensure education for all. And we use this opportunity to publicly reaffirm that this is a vital issue for our state."

El Pueblo Executive Director Andrea Bazan-Manson said Monday she's hopeful the bill still could be revived in some form next year. She mentioned efforts already underway to raise scholarship money for immigrant students.

Between 500 and 1,300 students likely would have applied for admission to UNC system schools if the bill passed, the backers said.

NC Policy Watch and El Pueblo plan a June 28 luncheon in Raleigh featuring Hunt to discuss the bill and other immigration issues. Supporters have said offering in-state tuition would help lower the dropout rate among Hispanic youths and train them to enter the job market.

Rep. John Sauls, R-Lee, one of the bill's four primary sponsors, said the bill could help those students become solid, taxpaying citizens.

Opponents won because "I don't think people could see past the two words, 'illegal immigrants,'" Sauls said.

Re: In-state tuition bill misses key N.C. legislative deadli

"I think there's been a real education about a lot of lawmakers about where the public sat on these type of issues," William Gheen, president of bill opponent Americans for Legal Immigration, said Monday. He attributed the bill's defeat to "mass public opposition."
    Congratulations William and the North Carolina Citizens who stood up, spoke out, and made it clear!!

Gheen and those on both sides of the issue said Monday they intend to keep educating the public and legislators about the estimated 300,000 illegal immigrants who live in North Carolina. Many of them came to the state from Mexico.
    And we'll help all we can William. Keep up the Good Fight For Right!!

"I don't think anybody is suggesting that we could round them all up and send them away," Chris Fitzsimon, director of the liberal-leaning NC Policy Watch, said Monday. "They're going to be here."
    WHO IS THIS GUY? He does not exist in terms of "background". There is no organization called NC Policy Watch. It does not exist. Is it just him? A person? And individual being paid by some organization? WHO IS THIS GUY AND WHERE DID HE COME FROM?

At least nine lawmakers of the 35 sponsors and co-sponsors of the measure pulled their names soon after, despite support from former Gov. Jim Hunt. An Elon University poll found apparent support for the proposal. Opponents pointed to surveys to the contrary.

Well they at least mentioned the surveys to the contrary....geez...they were Main Stream Media Polls. Elon University is owned and operated by the United Church of Christ....Hello....OBL!! Peek-a-boo, we see you!!

El Pueblo Executive Director Andrea Bazan-Manson said Monday she's hopeful the bill still could be revived in some form next year. She mentioned efforts already underway to raise scholarship money for immigrant students.
    AMAZING....her organization is going to raise some scholarship money. Well....about time she does something with her tax exempt 501 C 3 organization that she's legally obligated to do!!

Between 500 and 1,300 students likely would have applied for admission to UNC system schools if the bill passed, the backers said.

Backers don't have a clue how many students would have applied. Remember, we are on a "don't ask, don't tell" in the public school system. How could THEY know, when we can't FIND OUT???????

NC Policy Watch and El Pueblo plan a June 28 luncheon in Raleigh featuring Hunt to discuss the bill and other immigration issues. Supporters have said offering in-state tuition would help lower the dropout rate among Hispanic youths and train them to enter the job market.
    Another FEED TROUGH for the advocates paid for my El Pueblo to discuss the bill and other immigration issues. Gee....I wonder if any of their "ideas" would be: Comply with US Immigration, US Labor and US Civil Rights Laws.

Opponents won because "I don't think people could see past the two words, 'illegal immigrants,'" Sauls said.
    There are alot of baggage on this issue we can see past....a whole lot more than two words, "illegal immigrants". How about for starters, $200 Billion a year in deflated wages and salaries? How about steering us to a Third World Toilet Bowl? How about breaking the bank of our state and national treasuries supporting citizens from another nation, which we don't even like very much anymore due in part to their sleaze bag racist President, Vincente FoxHole!

A Sigh of Relief!! Yet, I don't know whether to laugh or cry thinkin' about them all at another FEED TROUGH, stuffing their faces more Beef Wellington bought and served with tax-exempt money, which means your money, picking their brains in between picking their teeth asking Jim Hunt, "What are we going to do now, Jimbo?"

Get Me A Pail, I need to Puke!!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn