Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

States, locals swamp 287(g) immigration program

States, locals swamp immigration program
    By Daniel C. Vock, Stateline.org Staff Writer
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008

States and cities that want to speed up deportations of criminals and suspects who are illegal immigrants by using a popular but controversial federal program face waiting up to three years to join the enforcement effort, because the federal government can’t keep up with the demand.

Political pressure for stricter policing of illegal immigration has propelled the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency’s 287(g) initiative from a little-noticed experiment two years ago to one of the hottest ideas for local and state officials to deal with immigration, as broader federal efforts languish.

Law enforcement ranks first as an issue in immigration-related legislation introduced on the state level as of March 2008, according to an April report of the National Conference of State Legislatures.

At the start of 2007, only eight police agencies took part in the 287(g) program; now a total of 47 police agencies in 17 states participate, with 90 more waiting to sign up. To date, more than 50,000 people have been deported or have been marked for deportation under the 287(g) program, according to ICE. More than half of those were processed since October.

But ICE is short of money to expand the program, which reimburses local police agencies for holding prisoners, pays for a five-week training course for participating officers and provides the technology to allow those police to access federal immigration databases.

The agency also foots the bill for housing and removing the immigrants once they leave the local jail.

ICE’s total budget for the program is roughly $26.2 million, an agency spokesman said.

To deal with the sudden interest, ICE officials are getting pickier about what local plans they will support, while encouraging police agencies to re-focus their enforcement efforts.

ICE now offers two options for police agencies seeking the 287(g) program. They can apply to the program to train their jail guards or other correction officers to screen arrestees and other inmates to make sure they’re in the country legally, or they can set up task forces that deal with a certain kind of crime — such as gang activity or document forgery — that often involves illegal immigrants.

The agency is moving away from an earlier model, used in places such as Alabama and Colorado, that trained state highway patrols to check immigration status during traffic stops, said James Wright, who works on ICE’s state and local government coordination.

The 287(g) program was always supposed to focus on criminals here illegally, rather than the larger group of 12 million undocumented immigrants thought to be in the United States. ICE spokesman Richard Rocha said most local agencies agree with ICE that beefing up immigration enforcement in local jails “is the best use of resources, by both federal and local law enforcement agencies.â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Are the POTUS candidates reading this?

PUBLIC PRESSURE, the POPULARITY of the program, citizens are DEMANDING enforcement. 3 YEAR waiting list.

Does this sound like citizens want amnesty?!?!?!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

They will if you copy and fax it to them. IF they don't have the information force it on them. They have to read it even to throw it away. LOL

Also, send this to your address book. Get it to friends, family, neighbors if they aren't already aware of it.

These are perfect articles for ammunition to take to your own city, county, and state officials.

added to the homepage

http://www.alipac.us/article3180.html

W

Sanford should replace Senator McCAMNESTY!

We seem to find a billion here and a billion there for other things, like assisting Mexico with their corrupt government, building fences/borders for other nations, but cannot find the money to fund the valuable 287 g, SCAAP to reimburse counties for expenses, or build a fence on our borders.

Romans 5:8
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Something tells me that Homeland security has become another government agency for ripping off American tax payer dollars....they have been given billions upon billions of dallors and have not even made a dent in the problem.....and still do not have the resources to get all of these states involved and trained for the 287g....this is pathetic!!

Chertoff is a Joke!

>>>>>"ACTION ALERT" 5/13<<<<<
    "WE HAVE 4 STATES TO BATTLE"....PLEASE let them hear from you!!
    See instructions at link:
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-115317.html
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

This is the real sign of the times!!!
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

Chertoff is not and has not been interested in enforcing the laws against illegal aliens invading this country. Barney Frank proposed millions of $ for La Raza (the brown supremacy illegal alien reconquista group) into a recent housing appropriations bill. What La Raza, "The Race" has to do with housing in this country, I'm still trying to figure that one out. They can seem to find funds for what they want to fund. The TRAITOROUS CFR puppets in Washington are stalling for time. They have figured that after the election, they will be able to pass amnesty against what they know is the will of the American people. They are globalist puppets and it will probably require the remedy prescribed us by the founding fathers to get America back.

Incidentally, I called Barney Frank's office about the funding for "The Race" and asked what was the difference in public funds being used in this manner from using them for the KKK, Black Panthers, Skinheads, or any other supremacy group. His staffer asked me for my name and address and said they were compiling information on citizens who felt the way that I did about the subject. I don't get it. Compiling info for what?? If Barney Frank were to come over to my house, I wouldn't let him whoop me!! Still I wouldn't give him my name and address. I trust these clowns just about as far as I can throw my pickup truck.

I cornered a candidate for Sheriff of my county last Friday about what he would do about enforcing immigration laws. It was pathetic how easy he was to flush out. He danced around the subject and tried to change the subject and went into telling me that he lives on the rich side of town and his wife's name etc. I pushed the issue and pointed out that most open borders politicians hide behind "immigration is federal law". Then I reminded him that bank robbery is also "federal law" and asked him if he felt that local officials should be enforcing that one. His responses were silly. He asked me, "do you know how much money you have to take to be charged with bank robbery?" I told him "I don't care and that's not the point." This clown had the nerve to thank me for my support. I told him flat out..."You don't HAVE my support". I've also caught my state congressman in person and raked him over the coals. He just said to me that he's not running for that seat again, now he's running for state senate. It's all about THEM. Their constituents be darned. CLOWNS. I only regret that I haven't had a chance to catch them before a crowd yet. This exercising my rights as a citizen stuff feels pretty good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast