This is from a recent address Democratic House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer gave at the National Press Club on the 2008 Election and Agenda for Congress. I've just excerpted the parts concerning illegal immigration. The full transcript can be read at below link.

Note, Hoyer has a recent overall grade of F from NumbersUSA, and a F- on border control.

------
CQ TODAY ONLINE NEWS
Nov. 18, 2008 – 2:52 p.m.

CQ Transcript: House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer Speaks at National Press Club on 2008 Election and Agenda for Congress
CQ Transcriptswire

QUESTION: I think you didn’t mention immigration reform in your speech. I’m wondering if you’re ruling out considering it in the first year of the next Congress, despite the fact that Mr. Obama promised to do something within that time period?

And since you mentioned that the Republicans are moving to a more narrower agenda, what are the real chances of passing immigration reform next year, this -- yes, next year?

HOYER: Well, I think that we -- surprisingly, immigration was not a major issue, as we know, in this last presidential campaign. It was an issue, and it remains an issue, and it remains a challenge for us in this country.

But I think -- I don’t know specifically what the conversations were between Mr. -- Senator McCain and Senator Obama yesterday, but, clearly, I think one of the reasons it wasn’t a major issue is because Senator McCain and Senator Obama had similar views on comprehensive immigration reform.

I think that it is interesting that you have the Chamber of Commerce agreeing more with the Democratic position and the McCain position on comprehensive reform than many Republicans in the House and in the Senate.

I think President Obama will want to move forward on that; I think we want to move forward on that.

I think there are two premises, number one, that our nation must be secure, our borders must be secure, and those who come into the United States need to be those that we know are coming into the United States and are authorized to come into the United States.

Secondly, the premise is that we have a large number, in the millions, of people who are here who are working essentially or operating essentially under the table, out of sight. That’s not good for our economy; it’s not good for them; and it’s not realistic, we think, to take effort to kick all of them out. That’s not possible, nor is it advisable.

So I think the answer to your question is that that, although I didn’t mention in my speech, will certainly be an item on the agenda, but it will not be the first item on the agenda. The economy will be the first item on the agenda.

And as President Obama -- President-elect Obama said the other night, also first -- I think we’ve got two tracks at the same time -- will be ensuring America’s security.

As President-elect Obama observed last night, and as Senator Biden -- much was made in the television ads about that, as Senator Biden observed, it is a time of risk when you have a transition and you are tested by those who would wish you harm.

So I think those two items will be priorities. But I think that immigration certainly is on the agenda.

---

QUESTION: Mr. Leader, I’d like to follow up on an earlier question, with E-Verify about to expire in the first week of March, when do you think Congress will reauthorize that legislation next year?

HOYER: Well, I think we want to move on that relatively quickly because it expires, but I don’t -- I have not talked to the chairman. I’ve asked all the chairmen to give me a list. As you know, I sort of coordinate the -- when we put things on the floor, but I coordinate with the chairmen when they have things ready to go to the floor.

So I have not yet gotten back from the chairmen their proposed schedules for next year. But certainly I think that will be an item that we will want to give early attention to. But I don’t know specifically when.

http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?d ... 0002987603