Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

STILL HAPPENING--Officials raid Humble(TEXAS) plant for ille

Jan. 31, 2007, 12:37PM
    Officials raid Humble plant for illegal immigrants

By KEVIN MORAN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

RESOURCES
    Immigration raid in Humble An immigration raid took place early this morning at the Republic Waste Company in Humble with 48 people taken into federal custody.

"We're conducting an enforcement action,'' said Luisa Deason, a spokeswoman with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Two buses marked as being with the Department of Homeland Security left the plant, located at 2010 Wilson at Marine, at 9:07 a.m. after a raid that workers said began at least three hours earlier.

Will Flower, a spokesman for the Fla.-based company said the raid resulted in both staff and workers from temporary agencies being detained. "We believe we are in compliance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations.''

Flower said the company had prior problems with immigration in 2005, resulting in a change of management at the plant. In 2006, they worked to ensure every employee was properly documented, requiring them to "produce verification'' that they're eligible.

David Portillo, a worker at the company, said the raid came as a complete surprise: "Some of us were in the trucks, warming them up, waiting for helpers or what not. Then we seen the helicopters and all of a sudden the parking lot was full of immigration.''

He described the experience as "very frightening'' to everyone.

"I didn't know what was going on,'' he said. "It's very frightening because it's something you don't have control over.''

Joe Rozema, who's worked at Republic for two years, described the seen as "chaotic.''

He said officials had asked everyone to gather in one area of the plant, where they were individually questioned to determine immigration status.

"I showed them my driver's license and my social security card,'' said Rozema. He said officials gave him a blue plastic bracelet to wear and gave those they determined to be here illegally a yellow bracelet.

Rozema said he thought the company's problems with immigration issues had all been resolved.

"I was really surprised,'' Rozema said. "We had a problem here last year around Christmas time (2005) and we got basically all new management.''

"The management's doing the best that they can do and I thought everything was kind of cleaned up,'' Rozema said.

At 10:35, a driver of a Republic truck leaving the plant to go to work said federal officials still were checking some workers' legal status inside the plant.

Drivers and assistants apparently were allowed to take trucks out on their routes after they passed federal muster. Another truck rolled out of the plant every few minutes as the morning progressed.

As some of Portillo's co-workers were taken into custody, he said they asked him to try and contact their families.

Flower said the company has yet to learn why some workers were detained. "It could be as simple as they came to work without their green card,'' he said.

Flower said prospective employees can show more than two dozen documents to support their claim that they are legal workers. ``If those documents reasonably appear to be genuine and related to the person presenting them, we have to accept them, '' Flower said.

He added, however, that the company has no oversight on how temporary staffing agencies, which provide workers to Republic, comply with federal regulations.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4514017.html

Re: STILL HAPPENING--Officials raid Humble(TEXAS) plant for

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy
    Jan. 31, 2007, 12:37PM
    Officials raid Humble plant for illegal immigrants

By KEVIN MORAN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

"The management's doing the best that they can do and I thought everything was kind of cleaned up,'' Rozema said.

He added, however, that the company has no oversight on how temporary staffing agencies, which provide workers to Republic, comply with federal regulations.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4514017.html
    Too many companies use 3rd party, temp. staffing companies to shield them selves from KNOWINGLY hiring illegal aliens. Some of these 3rd parties even certify all their temps are legal. Unfortunately, they don't check or care.

Some of these temp. staffing companies are large. I suspect some of their offices are run correctly and others are as illegal as hell. I would like the govt. to crack down on the worst offender and make an example of him. Perhaps send the owner / manager to JAIL !

Same excuse

that the company has no oversight on how temporary staffing agencies, which provide workers to Republic, comply with federal regulations.
    Always the same lame excuses. So who has control?
    Title 8,U.S.C.§1324 prohibits alien smuggling,conspiracy,aiding and
    abetting!

"It's very frightening because it's something you don't have control over.''
    Why that's EXACTLY how WE AMERICANS feel about these baztard 3 world invaders!

I think Temp agencies should be held to the exact same standards as any other company. RAID them and check their books/people. They are a company with "employees" and a staff just like any other. The only difference is that their "product" is the people they send out to work for someone else. CLOSE THIS LOOPHOLE and fine not only THEM but their client companies as well.

Another raid

Great, but what is happening to all the illegals that are captured. Are they being deported. Hopefully they are going back across the border as fast as someone can drive them.