Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Struggling U.S. farmers are paying Mexican laborers up to $17 an hour

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Struggling U.S. farmers are paying Mexican laborers up to $17 an hour

Immigration reform news 2015 – Struggling U.S. farmers are paying Mexican laborers up to $17 an hour

By Jose Serrano (staff@latinospost.com) | First Posted: Aug 17, 2015 12:34 PM EDT

FIREBAUGH, CA - AUGUST 22: A worker harvests cantaloupes on a farm on August 22, 2014 near Firebaugh, California. As the severe California drought continues for a third straight year, Central California farming communites are struggling to survive with an unemployment rate nearing 40 percent in the towns of Mendota and Firebaugh. With limited supplies of water available to water crops, farmers are leaving acres of farmland unplanted and are having to lay off or reduce the hours of laborers. (Photo : Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

Farmers are struggling to make ends meet because of labor problems U.S. policymakers didn't foresee when strengthening anti-immigration laws.

Latino laborers, once subjugated to backbreaking work conditions for a fraction of what other American jobs pay, are being welcomed with raised wages, improved medical benefits, and cheaper housing costs by farm owners desperate to solve a massive labor shortage. Between 2002 and 2014, the number of full-time farmhands dropped by 20 percent, directly leading to a $3.1 billion decrease in fruit and vegetable production, according to a report from the Partnership for a New American Economy.

"Farmers today are greatly hindered by a situation that forces them to compete for the dwindling supply of workers interested and able to do farm work," the July 2015 report read. "Whether the agriculture industry can escape this cycle-and continue to expand and provide for the needs of American families-may very much depend on what happens going forward in Washington."

Southeastern states of Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina lost about 8,500 workers in the span, and drought-stricken California saw its workforce decline by about 85,000 people.

Farmers in the Golden State resorted to raising wages by as much as 20 percent to about $17 an hour, according to the Wall Street Journal. Others became more tolerant of Hispanic workers' traits by allowing lengthy conversations and Spanish music at a reasonable volume.

Still, better accommodations don't guarantee increased production.

If one isn't comfortable on one farm, they could easily transfer to a neighboring farm for equal or increased pay. Or they outright choose to leave the country. Farmers are then forced to either increase wages for incomers or sell acres of land.

While researchers say technological advances played a small part in the decline, the biggest contributing factors were increased border security and the Great Recession's effect on the U.S. economy.

"In the years since 2008, the number of Mexicans apprehended trying to cross the border has hit historic lows, an indicator that immigration is slowing," the report read. "That drop-off has hurt an industry that historically has relied on immigrant workers to fill jobs that Americans have little interest in or expertise in performing."

Fewer Latinos are working on farms, and the few that are have an average age of 38 years old. Between 1998 and 2002, only 14.2 percent of workers were 45-year-old or older. The figure nearly doubled to 27.1 percent from 2008 and 2012.

Many resorted to posting ads on Craigslist and lobbying local high schools to broadcast open positions during morning announcements. U.S.-born workers abandoned the jobs just days after starting, according to the Journal.

The federal H2-A visa program provides temporary visas to undocumented immigrants, but farmers say it's burdensome, expensive, and only covers a fraction of labor costs.

"The labor shortage farmers have described in recent years is a real and pressing concern, and one that has not improved as wages have risen, providing a potential incentive to American unemployed workers to join the industry," researches concluded. "Congress should not wait for this situation to deteriorate further to take action to protect U.S. farms."

http://www.latinospost.com/articles/...17-an-hour.htm
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I told you all years ago this "low wage agricultural work" was paying far more than most people realized. I knew that because I researched it. I researched it because I would see seasonal agricultural workers at Walmart with not one cart but two and three carts filled to the brim with groceries and other items paying cash from a big wad in their hands while Americans had only one cart barely a third full digging for change to pay for it. Something is very wrong in America when Americans are paid $8 an hour to change linens and clean hotel rooms while illegal alien agricultural workers are earning more than twice that at $17 an hour and beyond.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    I told you all years ago this "low wage agricultural work" was paying far more than most people realized. I knew that because I researched it. I researched it because I would see seasonal agricultural workers at Walmart with not one cart but two and three carts filled to the brim with groceries and other items paying cash from a big wad in their hands while Americans had only one cart barely a third full digging for change to pay for it. Something is very wrong in America when Americans are paid $8 an hour to change linens and clean hotel rooms while illegal alien agricultural workers are earning more than twice that at $17 an hour and beyond.
    And, the little woman sits at home on welfare claiming to be single and having kids for profit. I too have seen them at Walmart on the weekends. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Newmexican View Post
    And, the little woman sits at home on welfare claiming to be single and having kids for profit. I too have seen them at Walmart on the weekends. JMO
    Exactly. And my blood just boils.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn