Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Study: Immigrants send a billion dollars away from NC

http://rdu.news14.com/content/top_stori ... ArID=92889

TOP STORIES
    Saturday October 21 2006

Study: Immigrants send a billion dollars away from NC

10/20/2006 4:42 PM
    By: Tim Boyum

RALEIGH -- This week a report claims that immigrants in North Carolina will send back a billion dollars to their home countries this year alone.

At the same time, thousands of immigrants are trying to fit into North Carolina jobs and schools. It's creating a complicated web of problems for schools and state officials to work out.

On Friday, hundreds of educators and leaders from across the state joined together to try and find better ways to reach out and teach to Hispanic students.

"The Hispanic population is very new in North Carolina and we have seen that a lot of people within the schools need to know more and learn more about this population and how we can help them be better in school," Marco Zarate from the North Carolina Society of Hispanic Professionals said.

It is well documented the Hispanic population has exploded since the 1990's and the state, local school districts, just about everyone, has been scrambling to deal with it.

Studies show about 600,000 live in North Carolina and contribute about $9 billion to the economy.

"Really this is something that has a true impact on everybody in this state," Zarate continued. "I mean, the more educated people we have in this state would be better for everyone in North Carolina."

Studies also point out about 45 percent of that population is here illegally and a study this week shows immigrants will send at least a billion dollars to Latin America this year alone.

It adds fuel to the fiery argument over what to do with the country's immigration issues.

"Employers that hire illegal aliens are supposed to be fined; the border is supposed to be secured," said William Gheen of Americans for Legal Immigration. "Our problem right now is not the need for new legislation; it's non-enforcement of our existing laws."

They are issues that have no easy solutions and will only get more attention politically as we get closer to a gubernatorial and presidential election in 2008.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm going to post this again. We have these types of stores/signs all over my town of Waukegan. The amount of money that must flow out of our town is mindboggling.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

we can do a lot for our people here at home with 1 billion, !! like expand our schools and improve our roads.
    I will always Stand by the Eagle, I will never betray the Eagle, I am loyal to the Eagle!

You're sure right about that, RW&BL!

I don't believe these people are poor!! The majority are living like kings with that much money leaving the country every year!!!

This has got to stop!!! Any patriotic President (if we had one!!!!) would put a stop to this IMMEDIATELY!!!!

VOTE AMERICA!!! KICK THE LOBBIEST LOVING INCUMBANTS OUT!!!!

I agree how can they be poor when they are all driving big SUV's and sending that kind of money out of the country. Must be offset by all the free and subsidized services they are getting off us the taxpayers. Just was talking to a girl who is an american citizen who is pregnant by a guy who may or may not be an illegal alien and she was telling me all about how she lives with him and they are getting a subsidized apartment and welfare is going to pay for this baby out of wedlock with this guy as they did not pay for the other one. How she was going to get welfare, foodstamps and a free college eduation on us the taxpayers and quit her job. As the free way is the way to go, not work and pay for your own kids because you are ignorant and know nothing about birth control. The really ironic thing is I should report her, but I know there is no enforcement in this state with regards to people receiving benefits they are not entitled to.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn